1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Best all-around telephoto (or zoom) for less than $300

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by mbbinvt, Jun 17, 2012.

1. mbbinvt

mbbinvt Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    I'm looking for a way to extend my kit beyond the 45mm Oly I own. I want something I can use for sports, portraits and with good bokeh for close-ups of flowers, etc. I'm thinking of something between 75mm and 100mm. Longer is OK if it is the far end of a zoom's range.
    At the moment, I'm trying out a Jupiter 85mm, which is great for some things like close-ups and portraits, but not so hot in many situations if you leave it near wide open and is not what I would call tack sharp in any circumstance. And of course it is tough to focus for fast-moving sports.
    I've read great reviews of this lens (for portraits and close-ups), but I wonder whether the reviewers got theirs cheap, before the prices spiked recently thanks to all of us m4/3 users adapting them. I haven't seen a decent sounding one on ebay for less than $170 shipped, and those are coming from Ukraine, so I paid $230 delivered for clean one from a guy in NYC, because it is easily returnable.
    That's a long way of asking the title question: What's the best new or used telephoto (or zoom) for less than $300? Ideally it would be light, fast and sharp, with good bokeh. Does such a creature exist?
    I know this is a matter of opinion, but I'm really interested in your opinion. Thanks in advance for chiming in!

2. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Spend and extra $50 and get the Oly 14-150 from Cameta. They have refurbs for $349 with free shipping. If you use ebay, you'll even get a few dollars in ebay bucks to spend on a filter or hood later.

3. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    First thing that comes to my mind is the 40-150. Covers all of your requirements except fast if you are referring to aperture speed.

The Nikon series 100E F2.8 and 75-150 F3.5 may also work. Light, inexpensive, and sharp. Also maybe the Samyang 85mm 1.4 but it's not small.

4. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I just bought a used Rokinon (samyang) 85mm 1.4 to try. Seems to get good reviews as being fairly sharp wide open. I also have a Nikon 105mm 1.8 AIS but its just a little long indoors. Interested to see how the Rokinon compares, once it gets here.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Samyang/Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 sounds like your best bet.

6. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    +1 on the 40-150. I got one separated from a kit for EUR225 including 19% tax. Provided you have enough distance between your subject and the background, I think the bokeh is pretty good. Not so fast, though (although on the OM-D that's not sooo bad).

7. mbbinvt

mbbinvt Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    The Rokinon/Samyang looks like a nice lens, but I worry about its weight -- 1.4 lb (635 g). That's nearly twice the weight of the Jupiter plus adapter (12 oz/343 g). Maybe I should get the 40-150 reburbed for $150 and hold onto the Jupiter too for fun. :smile:

Or do you think a Jupiter 85mm at $200+ is just crazy? Were people only excited about it when it was a sub-$100 lens?

I'm surprised no one has chimed in with the Voigtlander 75mm f2.5, which weighs in at 8 oz/230g. How's that compare to other options out there? Or is it the shorter Voigtlanders that have made the brand's reputation?

8. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    there is nothing wrong with the Panny 45-200, it was just on sale for $200 a few weeks back and a number of us got one. you can do some searches and see what the prices are like now, it is usually less than $300. I am very pleased with it on the EM5.
    frank

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Are you looking for performance or weight? You listed 3 particular uses for this lens, "I want something I can use for sports, portraits and with good bokeh for close-ups of flowers, etc.". For sports the 40-150mm is only useful for outdoors in bright sunlight... which will be full of harsh shadows. For indoors or overcast days, that lens will be inappropriate. The 85mm/1.4 on the other hand is a PERFECT lens for most indoor sporting events. For portraits, the 40-150mm is kinda meh... compared to the 85/1.4. I mean, the 40-150mm will take beautiful portraits but you can get so much more distinction and control out of the 85mm/1.4. For "good bekeh for close-ups of flowers"... well, any close-ups will give you a lot of bokeh as distance to subject is what affects DOF more than anything else. You will of course have a lot more control of that using the 85mm/1.4, as well as the ability to create that soft, dreamy look to your flowers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.