Best all around Lens for G3

MrDoug

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If you had to pick by Sunrise tomorrow morning.. LOL.. I have said this before.. but which is the BEST all around lens for the G3????... taking into account the G3 does not have IBIS like the Olympus :43: bodies have.. just curious as always..
Thanks,
Doug

tanngrisnir3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If you had to pick by Sunrise tomorrow morning.. LOL.. I have said this before.. but which is the BEST all around lens for the G3????... taking into account the G3 does not have IBIS like the Olympus :43: bodies have.. just curious as always..
Thanks,
Doug

Depends on what one shoots.

I've been playing around with the 14-45 original kit lens and, at least for my purposes, if I had to have a 'desert island' lens that did everything really well and nothing at all badly, that would be it.

MrDoug

Mu-43 Top Veteran

I've been playing around with the 14-45 original kit lens and, at least for my purposes, if I had to have a 'desert island' lens that did everything really well and nothing at all badly, that would be it.
So.. what is the difference between the 14-45 that you must have vs the 14-42 which now is the Kit lens for the G3? have you heard or seen? or what? what is the difference between the two..?

foto2021

Mu-43 Veteran

Agree 100%. The Panasonic 14-45mm kit lens performs better than anyone has a right to expect at the price.

The current Panasonic 14-42mm kit lens is optically significantly inferior, and the 14-140mm lens, though good for video, is large, heavy, slow and expensive.

meyerweb

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Mr. Doug, the 14-45 is slightly sharper in the center, and quite a bit sharper at the edges, than the 14-42, based on several tests I've seen.

If I could only have one lens, though, it would probably be the 14-140. It's at least as sharp as the 14-45, virtually as fast, and has a tremendous range.

But if I were truly stuck on a desert island, I might prefer the 7-14, which is a simply brilliant lens that produces dramatic photos that few other lenses can.

MrDoug

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Mr. Doug, the 14-45 is slightly sharper in the center, and quite a bit sharper at the edges, than the 14-42, based on several tests I've seen.

If I could only have one lens, though, it would probably be the 14-140. It's at least as sharp as the 14-45, virtually as fast, and has a tremendous range.

But if I were truly stuck on a desert island, I might prefer the 7-14, which is a simply brilliant lens that produces dramatic photos that few other lenses can.
What about the size of the 14-140? Is it OK? not too Big? I have been thinking about buying one..

elandel

Mu-43 All-Pro
No brainer. If we're talking about all-round lens the best is 14-140.
I use the 14-150 on my Oly bodies and also use it on my G3 but planning to save money for buying the 14-140 for my baby.
Great range - excellent IQ - silent ecc. what else do you want from a lens?
The only downside is cost.

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
Until M43 gets fixed aperture zooms, I'm going with the primes on this. Get the PL 25 1.4. Best M43 lens hands down in optical quality and aperture speed.

hunyuan7

Mu-43 Regular
The best all-around lens is the Panny 14-140.
All-around means to me: a bit of wide, tele, and macro, and it's built for video. It's also got mega O.I.S. Its bokeh look is subjective. Its size and weight may be an issue for you. I still shoot Rokkor 200/4.0 and Tokina 400/5.6 with my SR-T 102 and 202, so weight, size, and balance are non-issues for me.

elandel

Mu-43 All-Pro
The best all-around lens is the Panny 14-140.
All-around means to me: a bit of wide, tele, and macro, and it's built for video. It's also got mega O.I.S. Its bokeh look is subjective. Its size and weight may be an issue for you. I still shoot Rokkor 200/4.0 and Tokina 400/5.6 with my SR-T 102 and 202, so weight, size, and balance are non-issues for me.

Quote:bravo-009:

McDark

Mu-43 Regular
Bhupinder2002, 45 is excellent but not all around lens as OP suggested

Agree with Jonathan on 25/1.4. Another all around prime would be 20/1.7 (cheaper and compact, and not that bad, maybe even better than 25/1.4 on some aspects)

All around zoom would be 14-140 if price and size does not matter.
14-150 has about the same IQ but lacks IS, so it is ok for good light conditions shooting. I tried it on G3 and it was OK, but keeping it on E-PL1 as it has IBIS, just in case.

fredlong

Just this guy...
Real Name
Fred
If I had to choose by sunrise it would likely be the Lumix 45/2.8 macro. It's about my favorite focal length and if I could have only one I'd want a macro. A close second place goes to the m-mount Summicron 35/2. I'm beginning to like the focal length better on m4/3 and that lens is incredible.

Fred

robertro

Mu-43 Veteran
If I had to have only one lens for stills, it would be the 20/1.7:
- Small and light.
- Wide enough for most shots. Panorama software for wider.
- Sharp enough to crop significantly for longer shots.
- Aperture large enough for low light and for shallow depth of field effects.
- Excellent image quality.

If someone came out with a pancake 17/2 or 20/2 that focused as fast as the Panny 14/2.5, I'd buy that in a flash.

If I were also shooting video, I'd get the 14-140 Panny instead. although I have a love-hate relationship with this lens. It's my heaviest M4/3 lens, a bit more awkward than the 14-45 or the Oly 14-150. I bought it for the range, sold it for the weight, and bought it again when I realized that there was no real alternative - the OIS and C-AF are much superior for video work.

OTOH, If I were stuck on a deserted island, I'd probably choose the 100-300 and look for ships ;-)

bobbywise

Mu-43 Regular
Since it's sitting on a G3 I'd say the PL25/1.4.

If the same question applies to the more compact bodies, I'd say the 20/1.7 :smile:

Chuck Pike

Mu-43 Veteran
Depends.

I depends where you are taking this special picture. Along a beach, I would use the 14mm. Why? I just like primes and the 14mm has great depth in the image, every thing is going to be in focus. My second choice would be the 20mm. But if I really had to have just one lens then it would have to be the 14-45mm zoom. And of course it goes with out saying, use a tripod.

Images for books, magazines and calendars | photosbypike

Latest threads

Top Bottom