1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

best adapter for OM lenses?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by eviebee, Jun 21, 2010.

1. eviebee

eviebee New to Mu-43

Jun 21, 2010
    Hi Everyone,
    I am new here. I am sorry if this topic has already been posted, I looked back through the pages and didn't see it, but I might have missed it.
    I have a Pen EP-1 and I want to use some older OM lenses. Any thoughts on who makes the best adapter?
    I saw olympus makes their own for about $165, and I found one by Kipon on Adorama for about $50. Is one better than the other? Are there other better ones out there?
    Thanks!

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I recently bought a Chinese version on eBay. Seems to be well made and does the job. It is a mechanical device only (no electrics) so as long as the fit is tight it will do the job. An eBay search will bring up lots of items around the $35 mark. The pictures look very similar and I suspect there are more sellers than manufacturers.

3. I have 3 OM adapters.

I bought the chi-chi Olympus one first, but it is -so- tight on the lens, I figured I would need another one, so I wouldn't be taking it off the lens each time. In fact, it's so tight that I wouldn't trust taking the lens off while the adapter is on the camera, for fear of damaging the camera itself (!)

So I bought 2 more - a $35 noname on eBay, and a $40 Fotodiox on Amazon:
    Amazon.com: Fotodiox Olympus OM Lens to Micro 4/3 Four Thirds System Camera…

I actually ordered the noname first, but it took a long time to come in from China, so I ordered the Fotodiox in the meantime. (Amazon's 2-day delivery is awesome.)

Bottom line:

1) The noname is just as tight as the Olympus. Each of those is dedicated to a lens now.

2) The Fotodiox is great. Just tight enough to hold the lens well, just loose enough to take the lens off & put another one on without pulling the adapter off the camera. In fact, all of my other adapters (FD, AI, etc.) are now Fotodiox.