1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Best $39 Spent Yet!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by digitalandfilm, Aug 27, 2013.

1. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I have two lenses that both had "issues" with focusing..

Decided to check out FocusTune because the Lens Align device they sell is cool, and it works. If you currently *have* Lens Align, then you get $10 off as a previous customer:

FocusTune

It's actually very easy.. the short version explanation is you shoot 4 shots (from tripod) at either a target (downloadable) or the Lens Align device.

Then you input all the shots into the software, chose the target area (see documentation) and then hit "Analyse" and you will get a PDF with a graph and text with EXACTLY what correction to have entered into your camera (ie, -9, +1, 0, etc) for that specific lens! Then simply save that value and when that lens is used, it's already set-up with proper values.

Here's what the PDF looks like:

Attached Files:

2. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    Forgot to put the downloadable target for reference:

Attached Files:

3. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I am guessing this is for PDAF lenses, as none of mine have an option to do that (all either m4/3 or manual lenses)?

4. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    It said it worked with Olympus E-5, but I have a post on the support board regarding the m4/3 cameras.

5. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Lens alignment only applies to cameras that use PDAF for focusing - since micro 4/3 cameras use the sensor, which is at the plane of focus, they have no need to be tuned. DSLR lenses/cameras are not focused at the sensor plane, which can lead to misalignment (lens, camera or both) and the need for adjustment. Unfortunately not really applicable to most users here unless they use older 4/3 dslr viewfinder style cameras (or other DSLRs).

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    To be precise, focus adjustment applies only for cameras that use PDAF sensors separate from the imaging sensor. Cameras like the Olympus E-M1, Canon 70D, and others with on-sensor PDAF shouldn't need focus adjustment either. Nor, of course, to CDAF systems.

7. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    Let me understand this- m4/3 cameras and lenses have no need for micro-adjustment for issues like front/back focusing?

Doesn't the OM-D have micro adjustment in its menus?

I'm confused here..

8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That is right! No adjustment needed if the focus sensors are on the image sensor. In a few years all cameras will have the focusing sensors on the image sensor.

I looked through the E-M5 manual and could find nothing about micro-adjustment of the focus.

9. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    That's why I got rid of my DSLR cameras - never could get focus just right, and when it was on, the focusing area was so large that I frequently couldn't isolate the subject; something in front of or behind would have more contrast and lock focus there. What a hassle.
    With my OM-D focus is spot on every time.

10. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    Wow.. I thought I saw that feature on the m4/3'rds OM-D when I owned it.

[back to the regularly scheduled program] :biggrin:

11. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    If you think about it, it makes perfect sense. The camera is using the sensor image to focus. The lens can't be off because the camera will always seek the sharpest contrast - using the same device that ultimately records the image. How could it not be in focus. :)

12. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Because it's still a closed loop control system. It works by focusing past maximum sharpness and then goes back to it. It may over shoot and then have to go back again; this is known as ringing. Since the feedback is provided by digital analysis, the algorithm may use a good enough focus factor to speed up the AF. Speed and focus accuracy are design tradeoffs.

13. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    The owner of the company replied to my question about m4/3 cameras:

But in Version 2.5 very soon, you will be able to evaluate focus consistency and back and front focus for mirrorless cameras.

14. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    They are a good salesman. Unless they'll be able to reprogram the camera's firmware for better focus capability, there is nothing it can do for a micro 4/3 camera.