1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Best $200 I've spent in awhile - Sigma 19mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by m43_user, May 1, 2012.

1. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    The Sigma 19mm f/2.8 arrived today and I'm VERY impressed so far. Includes a lens hood, nice Nikon style lens cap AND a padded nylon storage pouch (with zipper) and the body of the lens is sturdy. And on top of that, the first few test shots I snapped on my OM-D are great. Here's one at f/2.8 and one at f/4.

You can see them at full resolution HERE

ISO 500
    [​IMG]

ISO 1000
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    I see a little CA in the full size images but I need to get outside and test it to see how it looks in outdoor shots. Lighting here is an overhead fluorescent.

3. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    what's a nikon styled lens cap? You mean center pinch?

4. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    Yes, the deep center pinch that's easy to grab onto and remove/install the cap.

5. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    I've been really thinking of getting this lens... this and the 30mm.... I originally had the 45 1.8 but sold it since I wasn't really a fan of the focal length... how about more sample pics?

6. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
  7. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Sigma

m43,
    Can you show us a pic of the lens on the OMD? With hood?

8. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    Later today I can get a picture up. The 19mm without the hood is about the size of the 14-42mm kit lens.

9. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    Here's the lens and what it comes with...and how it looks on the OM-D. I'm going out to test it now. Be back later...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    that's nice... even the case looks good.... is the lens fairly light? how does it compare weigh wise with the 14-42 lens that comes with the OMD, if that's the kit that you got....

11. Vertex Ninja

Vertex Ninja Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2012
    This lens is a great bargain for sure. I usually print 8x10 and 5x7 so that 19mm feels more like a 35mm to me. Who could complain about a fast 35mm with great quality, a hood, nice lens cap, fast internal focusing, and a really nice lens pouch for 199 including a 4 year warranty. I almost feel like I'm stealing from Sigma.

BTW, the 30mm is incredibly sharp too. I haven't had a ton of time to shoot my new Oly 45mm, but from what I've seen I think the 30mm is even sharper than it.

12. S38

S38 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2010
    renton
    Can you guys tell me how is the barrel distortion, particularly in head and shoulder, or closer portraits? I have the Pana 20mm and it definitively distorts faces when too close. (I know it is not a portrait lens..)

Thank you

13. spinyman

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Looks great, thanks.Quite a bargain.

14. Vertex Ninja

Mar 29, 2012
    It needs about +5-6 in ACR correction. It focuses pretty close and there is definitely perspective distortion in head and shoulder shots. The barrel distortion can be corrected but the perspective distortion is a product of the focal length.

• Like Like x 1
  15. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    There's a bold claim! I don't have either lens, nor much interest in them currently but I'd love to see some comparison shots once this lens starts trickling out to users.

16. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    I just uploaded some full size samples to my test page. My thoughts are so far (after using it some more), it's not as sharp as the Oly 45mm. It's reasonably sharp to my eyes. Also, when I zoom in at 100%, there's some strange sort of 'dimpling' in the bokeh area. I'm not sure how to explan it other than that. It almost looks like a photo you've over-sharpened for example. My 45mm doesn't show that. My 45mm is super clean and creamy in the bokeh area. As far as chromatic aberration goes, it's definitely got it and I think more so in the wider apertures. Once you get to 5.6 or so it seems to diminish. I'm not a pro tester, I'm just making some observations.

Here are the TEST SHOTS

Sorry for the limited subject matter. I'll get more samples when I have time and better subjects.

P.S. One strange thing about the lens...it takes about 2 seconds for the camera to be ready when you power it up. The LCD is dark for 2 seconds then you hear a click and see the image. I guess it's Sigma's autofocus technology getting ready? Not sure.

The size - it's pretty close to the size of the kit 14-42mm, but the 19mm is a little bigger and slightly heavier. It's very light though.

17. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I think the "dimpling" is probably aspherical aberrations.
    About Bokeh

Wide angle lenses in general either require huge glass or aspheric elements. The aspheric elements greatly reduce the size, but they have some weird bokeh. Longer glass doesn't need as much correction here, so the 45 is naturally gifted in comparison.

These are generalizations from an amateur.

18. Vertex Ninja

Mar 29, 2012
    I haven't made any direct comparisons because the two lenses don't really compete. So take my opinion for what it is, just a casual observation. That said, I do have some recent shots from the 30mm @2.8 that are about as good as one could expect. There have also been some recent tests of the 30mm that show it's one of the sharpest lenses for the MFT and Nex mount. Anyway ranking lenses is kinda silly once you get to the good-enough-great range, because then there are no real gotchas we can blaim our poor photography skills on! :tongue:

19. spinyman

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Vertex,
    Does the 30 also come with a similar hood?

20. Vertex Ninja

Mar 29, 2012
    Unfortunately no. There is no bayonet mount either like on the 19mm. Sigma says it doesn't need one, but I disagree. There isn't a lens made that shouldn't have some sort of hood. Both Sigmas handle flare decently. They retain good contrast, but both show ghosts with the sun in the frame and are slightly sensitive to bright light just outside the frame.