1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Best $100 and under legacy lenses for MFT?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Nate8833, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Nate8833

Nate8833 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    I'm looking for some legacy glass to play around with... there are a ton of choices! I thought I'd keep the purchase price under $100, just because there seem to be great choices out there under that dollar amount. I already have a Canon 50mm 1.4, so I have that focal range covered.... But if there are better lenses for the same amount of money I would be willing to buy. I've been looking at lenses between 25mm and 35mm, and between 80mm and 135mm.

Oh, and I already have adapters for Canon, Nikon, and Minolta... but again, I'd be willing to buy others. Thanks!

2. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Only legacy glass I have is the Minolta Hexanon 50mm 1.7...wonderful, sharp, cheap!

3. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    Canon 100 mm 2.8 FD mount or the OM 100 mm 2.8

4. Tincam

Tincam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Iowa
    Matt
    The Nikon 105/2.5 ais can be found for around $100 sometimes and is awesome. The Nikon 55mm macro is a great lens too, there is one in the buy & sell section now.

5. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    Pentax-M SMC 100mm f4 Macro is relatively small, lightweight and sharp, and available in your price range.

6. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    You can get a 135mm f3.5 FD Canon on a good day for $40. One of the few lenses I haven't flipped...though it's not small.

7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    How about some fast wide suggestions? Tele land is pretty well covered...

8. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    LOL. I almost called on this Nikon 20mm Craigslist ad this morning, after realizing it's 1/4 of KEH's asking price. Nah, have the Oly 17 and PL 25.

Nikon auto 1:35 f=20mm lens

9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Maybe some fast C-mount lens recommendations?

10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I would love some options that will cover a GH2 16:9 frame without ETC for a reasonable price, though that might be overly optimistic. Hell, affordable full coverage cine lenses in ANY mount would be nice...

11. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    How about the pentax auto110 lenses (and an adapter)? They're very small and fit the m43 well. Common lenses are 18mm, 24mm and 50mm. Less common and more expensive are the 20-40mm zoom, 70mm and 18mm pan focus (everything from 2 meters out is supposed to be in focus). All are fixed f2.8, but you might be able to find an adapter with an iris... I saw a post here about one a few months ago...

12. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have the 18mm, 24mm and the 50mm plus a Soligor 1.7x tele-converter! They are good lenses but not great{optically speaking}. They are a little soft and the bokeh is OK. They are tiny especially the 24mm but yet not hard to use.

I have the basic adaptor only right now and it works but the mechanism that locks the lens, lets in light. It hasn't messed up any shots so far but it lets in enough that the sensor must pick it up. I had seen that adaptor with the built in iris and plan on getting it soon, will post results when I do.

The tele-convertor turns the 50mm into an 85mm but it stops it down 3 full stops! That makes it only good for bright sunlight or flash. I also have the close up lenses for the 24 and the 50 and they work well.

What I love best about these lenses is their size and weight. I can carry all 3 and they are still smaller and lighter than just one of my old Nikkors!

13. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Soo sorry to be THAT guy .... But Hexanon was a Brand that Konica used on their Manual focus lenses. Minolta would put Rokkor on there manual focus lenses. They both used different lens mounts. Konica had the AR mount. Minolta was using the SR,MC, or MD mount, all which was the same bayonet. So they would be two different adapters.
    It was not until years later well into the auto-focus lens era that the two company's merged to become Konica Minolta and the lenses used the newer Minolta alpha pr MA mount, which Sony still uses today. And adapter for the MA is also available.

But Both Konica Hexanon and Minolta Rokkor Lenses were some nice glass tho.

14. tgapp

tgapp New to Mu-43

May 26, 2012
    I just picked up some of the Fujian lenses available on eBay for cheap--they're super fast, C-mount, a little soft around the corners but attractive bokeh and crazy inexpensive. I like them a lot.

15. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    This link is a fact-filled list of C-mount lens from 16mm movie cameras. The Image Circle Chart Is a wonderful reference tool.
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...QQ-HJwvNDobeEw

In the the spreadsheet headers FL means Focal Length. Machining refers to whether the lens can be directly applied to the c-mount adapter and focus properly without incurring the significant expense of having the lens housing custom machined. "NO"is what you want, not "Yes".

C-mount lens are quite small and unobtrusive. A 25mm (also called 1 inch) lens is approximately 1.25" long and also that diameter too. C-mount adapters are very inexpensive, and nearly flush with the camera body. SLR adapters protrude 1-1.2 inches plus the additional length of the lens.

What to look for:"
    -As long or longer than 25mm (also called 1 inch)
    - 25mm (also called 1 inch) is a great FL (Not all in this FL provide full coverage)
    - full>22m or v. slight vign
    - f/1.4 will probably be out of your price range, but not 1.8 or 1.9.
    -No machining

-These are very old lenses so you must ask if the focus and aperture rings turn smoothly and freely through their entire turning range.

Easier to find lenses that may be in your price range
    -Wollensak Cine Raptar
    -Taylor & Hobson Cooke (Not Bell & Howell)
    -Kodak check list. No Kodak S-mount or M-mount.
    No D-mount. No 8mm movie type camera lenses. No "Finder lenses"

OTHER MEMBERS WILL HAVE TO ADDRESS SPECIFIC MODERN TV/SECURITY LENSES. SOME WORK, MOST DON'T.

• Like Like x 1
  16. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    If you can go a tiny bit over $100 the Vivitar 28/2 close focus (Komine made). After that I'd say the Konica 50/1.4 and Super Takumar 50/1.4 are both strong contenders.

17. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Or if you want to stay under budget and aren't dying for the very fastest in a wide, I've recently been trying a couple of Vivitar 28/2.8 Close Focus lenses (also by Komine) and have found them to be quite sharp, nice build quality, and great bokeh. I got both of them for ~$30 apiece. I've heard great things about the RMC Tokina 28/2.8 as well, should have a copy to test within a few days.

18. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

19. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
  20. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    I'm not going to help much with wide angle, but overall I think there are great bargains among Canon FD lenses. There is actually a thread here somewhere discussing precisely that. All FD lenses I have were < $100 and I'm happy with all of them. 50/3.5 Macro can be found on ebay for < $50 I think and it's very nice, 135/2.8 is also about that and also an exceptional lens and pretty small for a telephoto. Everybody praises 50/1.4 (I don't have it). I even snatched a 200/2.8 for $90 shipped - couldn't resist. It's great even wide open. Purple fringing is there but so it is for all legacy lenses.