1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Berlin

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Alf, May 22, 2011.

1. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    So we jumped on a plane and headed north, up to sunny Berlin - the in-laws seeing it for the first time.

Mandatory Alexanderplatz pic:
    5747106237_ae41c18027_b_d.

Dom:
    5747661170_4f6d3087df_b.

OstBanhof
    5747664566_cc2e2305da_b.

Relaxing in front of the Altes Museum
    5747667056_fbbd0ae200_b.

Now this is street photography
    5747120017_4dd59f4b66_b.

The Memorial
    5747123429_d1ca3bff63_b.

Watching beautiful people on the walls of Charlottenburg
    5747132507_7ebf0dcb0b_b.

The view from Sanssouci in Potsdam
    5747704504_1a71e7f29d_b.

Potsdam resident
    5747719668_b77ee603de_b.

Gendarmenmarkt
    5747742002_352854daba_b.

The Tacheles. Seems they want to close it down. :frown:
    5747737044_630b7e05a0_b.

History : from bottom to top, the cells under the garage of the Gestapo main building, then the Wall, then the Ministry of Finance (before, the DDR seat of the Council of Ministers, and before again, the Aviation Ministry, office of the fat guy)
    5747194561_669ef1f2f7_b.

All shot with my E-PL1 and the 14-42mkI and 20/1.7

There are a lot more where these came from

• Like Like x 8
  2. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    Very nice Alf.
    Lots of great moods in that set.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Very nice set. I guess my dad still has a stone from the wall somewhere :smile:

I also really like that Memorial, it looks depressing but modern. Here's my shot from there. P&S quality though...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Alf,

You may call it mandatory, I found this shot fascinating. Never been there and really enjoyed the entire set. Thanks so much for the post.

Cheers, Alan

• Like Like x 1
  5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Ich bin ein Berliner

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fantastic images, Alf.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Doesn't that mean you're a donut?

Great pictures. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Dammit ... tomrock beat me to it! :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Amazing what the 'diorama' filter will do!
    5747664566_cc2e2305da_b.
    ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    No, it is not a jelly pancake ... but the opening and closing to one of Kennedy's greatest speeches and a historic moment in world history. The speech was given in Berlin during the height of the cold war between the USSR and the USA. The Wall was built in 1961 and the speech in Berlin was given in 1963.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZItzF0ldAUo"]The Video[/ame]

"There are many people in the world who really don't understand, or say they don't, what is the great issue between the free world and the Communist world.

Let them come to Berlin.

There are some who say that communism is the wave of the future.

Let them come to Berlin.

And there are some who say in Europe and elsewhere we can work with the Communists.

Let them come to Berlin.

And there are even a few who say that it is true that communism is an evil system, but it permits us to make economic progress. Lass'sie nach Berlin kommen. Let them come to Berlin.

Freedom has many difficulties and democracy is not perfect. But we have never had to put a wall up to keep our people in -- to prevent them from leaving us. I want to say on behalf of my countrymen who live many miles away on the other side of the Atlantic, who are far distant from you, that they take the greatest pride, that they have been able to share with you, even from a distance, the story of the last 18 years. I know of no town, no city, that has been besieged for 18 years that still lives with the vitality and the force, and the hope, and the determination of the city of West Berlin.

While the wall is the most obvious and vivid demonstration of the failures of the Communist system -- for all the world to see -- we take no satisfaction in it; for it is, as your Mayor has said, an offense not only against history but an offense against humanity, separating families, dividing husbands and wives and brothers and sisters, and dividing a people who wish to be joined together.

What is -- What is true of this city is true of Germany: Real, lasting peace in Europe can never be assured as long as one German out of four is denied the elementary right of free men, and that is to make a free choice. In 18 years of peace and good faith, this generation of Germans has earned the right to be free, including the right to unite their families and their nation in lasting peace, with good will to all people.

You live in a defended island of freedom, but your life is part of the main. So let me ask you, as I close, to lift your eyes beyond the dangers of today, to the hopes of tomorrow, beyond the freedom merely of this city of Berlin, or your country of Germany, to the advance of freedom everywhere, beyond the wall to the day of peace with justice, beyond yourselves and ourselves to all mankind.

Freedom is indivisible, and when one man is enslaved, all are not free. When all are free, then we look -- can look forward to that day when this city will be joined as one and this country and this great Continent of Europe in a peaceful and hopeful globe. When that day finally comes, as it will, the people of West Berlin can take sober satisfaction in the fact that they were in the front lines for almost two decades.

All -- All free men, wherever they may live, are citizens of Berlin.

And, therefore, as a free man, I take pride in the words "Ich bin ein Berliner."

G

• Like Like x 1
  11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Right, but his speechwriter screwed up it up, and instead of meaning "I am from Berlin", he said "I am a donut"

12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    According to many sources, including the below quoted Wikipedia:

'It is a common misconception that Kennedy made a risible error by saying "Ich bin ein Berliner". According to this idea, Kennedy referred to himself not as a "citizen of Berlin", but as a "jelly doughnut", which is known in parts of Germany as a "Berliner".[3] Kennedy should, supposedly, have said "Ich bin Berliner" to mean "I am a person from Berlin"; by this notion, adding the indefinite article ein to his statement implied he was a non-human Berliner, thus "I am a jelly doughnut".[4] However, the indefinite article ein is omitted when speaking of an individual's profession or residence but is necessary when speaking in a figurative sense as Kennedy did. Since the president was not literally from Berlin but only declaring his solidarity with its citizens, "Ich bin Berliner" would not have been correct.[4]
    An op-ed from the New York Times demonstrates the misconception:
    It's worth recalling, again, President John F. Kennedy's use of a German phrase while standing before the Berlin Wall. It would be great, his wordsmiths thought, for him to declare himself a symbolic citizen of Berlin. Hence, Ich bin ein Berliner. What they did not know, but could easily have found out, was that such citizens never refer to themselves as 'Berliners.' They reserve that term for a favorite confection often munched at breakfast. So, while they understood and appreciated the sentiments behind the President's impassioned declaration, the residents tittered among themselves when he exclaimed, literally, 'I am a jelly-filled doughnut.'

– William J. Miller, I Am a Jelly-Filled Doughnut, The New York Times April 30, 1988[5]

Whereas the citizens of Berlin naturally do refer to themselves as Berliner, they generally do not refer to jelly doughnuts as Berliner. While these are known as Berliner Pfannkuchen (literally meaning "Berlin Pancake(s)"), commonly shortened to Berliner in other areas of Germany, they are simply called Pfannkuchen (pancakes) in and around Berlin.[6] According to the German History Museum, the theoretical ambiguity went unnoticed by Kennedy's audience.[7] The term has since been repeated by media such as the publisher of the Morning Call, Tim Kennedy, the BBC (by Alistair Cooke in his Letter from America program),[8] The Guardian,[9] MSNBC,[10] CNN,[11] Time magazine,[12] and The New York Times;[13] mentioned in several books about Germany written by English-speaking authors, including Norman Davies[14] and Kenneth C. Davis;[15] and used in a stand-up show by Eddie Izzard, as well in the Speech Synthesis Markup Language specification.[16]'

It was his German born translator that translated the phrase inserting the 'ein'. But you can interpret history as you may.

G