Benefit of having the same MFG lens as the body?

edwardconde

Mu-43 All-Pro
I am wondering if there are any benefits in having the same MFG lens maker as the body? I just bought a GX7 and have all OLY glass.. I have really been thinking about the 20mm as it would give me a pancake like lens & fill the 40mm FOV that I am curious about.

Anyhow, anyone have any input on this?

thx

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Other than some Panasonic lenses having IS and in-camera distortion correction for some lenses, I'm not aware of anything that should cause issues, as they are designed for m4/3 bodies of any ilk.

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
M43 is weird in my opinion. You have two companies that rarely acknowledge the fact they share the same lens mount and then they try to compete against other mirrorless brands without informing the public that they have the largest combined mirrorless camera system. In fact as an end user, you pretty much have to figure it out for yourself because neither Olympus or Panasonic will tell you!

BAXTING

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bradley
I have used both successfully on either body. Other than...

Other than some Panasonic lenses having IS and in-camera distortion correction for some lenses, I'm not aware of anything that should cause issues, as they are designed for m4/3 bodies of any ilk.

You merely need to pick the body and lens that each fits your needs and go from there. I recently turned into an Olympus ****** though because although the lumix lenses are great, I feel for my needs the Mzuiko lenses do the same if not better in a much smaller package in most cases. I wouldn't hesitate to use a Lumix lens on an Olympus body or vice versa if I desired to do so.

B

Neftun

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Patrick Kristiansen
No problem at all. My go-to kit these days are oly 12-40 zoom, oly 75 and pana 25. All stellar on my em1. Had the pana 14 on em5 too, for a while, cool combo. Some CA, but otherwise very good. Miss it at times, actually.

Patrick K

gprana

Mu-43 Regular
I am wondering if there are any benefits in having the same MFG lens maker as the body? I just bought a GX7 and have all OLY glass..
AFAIK the only potential problem is the in-camera image correction. YMMV whether it's a significant enough issue though. With older Panasonic bodies, using Olympus lens means no image stabilization, but GX7 has in-body stabilization...

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Some lenses have issues on certain bodies, and as far as I know, for the most part its with Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies. The PL25 will rattlesnake on the EM5, the 7-14 has purple flare issues with most of the recent Olympus bodies, the 20 has banding on the EM5 at high ISOs, the aperture ring on certain PL lenses isn't supported by Olympus. When using Olympus lenses with Panasonic bodies, as far as I know, the lack of stabilization is the only issue.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
I swap and change between lenses, frequently using a 45mm Oly on a G3 and 12-32mm Pana on an Oly Epm2, no issues as far as I can see. The only lens that has a downside is the 20mm panasonic that due to its design is slower in focusing than the others, but it makes up for it by having really great image quality, if I lost it would not think twice about replacing it. The m43 eco system is great with two makers of cameras that offer one very different plus points and a great range of lenses that can be had in some cases for bargain prices.

fredlong

Just this guy...
Real Name
Fred

Distortion correction is part of the m43 standard and works across brands. The correction is done on in camera jpegs and the data is embedded in raw files. Most raw converters use the data to correct distortion without user intervention. A few let the user choose and a few don't correct at all.

Each company has taken a different approach to CA correction. Panasonic bodies correct CA on Panasonic lenses. So far The E-M1 is the only Olympus body to correct CA (unless this feature has been incorporated into the newer E-M10). I'm not sure if it will correct CA on non-Olympus lenses, I've heard both ways.

Fred

Markb

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mark
I think that Panasonic lenses play just that little bit nicer on Panasonic bodies.

I certainly got better AF speeds from a Pana 20/1.7 when mounted on a G3 compared with several Oly bodies so maybe there's something in it. But then the Olympus 45/1.8 was startlingly fast on that body too.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
This reminds me of the Contax / Yashica days... Contax would never admit their lenses would run on cheaper Yashica bodies, but they did... Likewise, you could throw a Yashinon lens onto a Contax and run perfectly well. The C/Y mount was shared between them.

The more things change...

edwardconde

Mu-43 All-Pro
THanks everyone for your inputs... I might jump on a deal for a 20mm II version for my GX7 and keep the Oly17 and 25 on my OLY bodies.. Its a wonderful thing to have choices...

Chrisnmn

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Chris
The EM5 + P20 was my favorite combo, and im still looking for another option, in fact I might buy an EM10 + P20 to get a pocketable 40mm.
Still other people believe the P20 is 'too' slow. and it is compared to other m43 lenses, yet still faster than fuji, sony, and the rest. So for me was more than enough.
my $2cents

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/04/02/first-impressions-panasonic-15mm-f1-7-micro-four-thirds/

This guy 'previewed' the 15mm F1.7 on an E-M5 and seems to be saying the Aperture Ring was working for him.

Barry

thats pretty awesome for the Olympus users.

Each company has taken a different approach to CA correction. Panasonic bodies correct CA on Panasonic lenses. So far The E-M1 is the only Olympus body to correct CA (unless this feature has been incorporated into the newer E-M10). I'm not sure if it will correct CA on non-Olympus lenses, I've heard both ways.

Fred

My GX7 corrects CA with the Olympus 45. I assume it will with the other Olympus lenses as well. Its possible that the latest generation from both manufacturers will correct CA with either brand.

KS11

Mu-43 Veteran
this is anecdotal evidence, but the lumix 14mm looked a little wider on my old ep3 than my gf1 when mounted and pointed at the same subject. maybe distortion correction at the edges are not as good on the ep3 using a lumix lens?

Real Name
Nic
I certainly got better AF speeds from a Pana 20/1.7 when mounted on a G3 compared with several Oly bodies so maybe there's something in it. But then the Olympus 45/1.8 was startlingly fast on that body too.

Yes, I think that any small compatibility issues that do exist only occur in the one direction.

Latest threads

Top Bottom