Belt attachment for camera

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by DaveyA, Jun 8, 2013.

1. DaveyA

DaveyA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
  2. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
  3. ballhog

ballhog New to Mu-43

Mar 29, 2012
    Any feedback on waist mount, looks cool, just seems like camera with lens would bounce around when walking.

4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Honestly, other than the slightly 'retro' look, the Peak Design Capture seems to be a far superior product. Small, works great, attaches to belt or (my preferred spot) backpack/camera bag straps, and the camera plate is fully Arca-Swiss compatible (meaning it fits my tripod ball head). Plus they recently introduced M43 specific plates. The system works equally well for a full-frame Canon or my E-M5.

5. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    It is neat indeed but I agree with the other comments regarding the capture plate being a better product.
    Looks like it "just works".

6. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Yep yep and yep. Happy with all my Peak products, I'll keep going back for more.

7. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
  8. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
  9. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Just checked out their video it looks good as well but lacks the design quality of the capture in my opinion.
    I should really go get myself one of those haha - just don't know how much I'd use it.

10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I completely agree with those recommending the peak design system. I keep a plate on two different cameras and it makes it easy to switch between them. Well made, strong, reliable and versatile.

11. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    The Peak Design Capture is great and I do like it, but this system does have two important advantages no one seems to have noticed, at least for some cameras:

1) Small attachment screw instead of a whole plate; good for smaller cameras

2) Holds the camera to the body lens out instead of lens down.

For a small camera like the X100 (or the Leica used in their video), those are two things the Capture system doesn't do well. I would love a way to mount my X100 lens-out with Capture, because it's just an awkward camera to mount lens-down.

Having said, that, the Scarabaeus has some other potential design issues I'd be concerned about. Namely, I don't like that it's a regular belt clip; if your camera got hung up it could pull the whole works off your belt. Likewise, even in the example video it looks awkward to remove from the clip both in terms of locking mechanism and [lack of] grip.

All that said, I find it interesting but I think I'd really like to see it in person before plunking down €125 on it.