Being playing with my GH1 for a few days, need some help!

L11

Mu-43 Rookie
This forum seems the best place to ask :43: related questions so here I go!

In Manual movie mode, how can I choose a shutter speed slower than 1/30? Even if it makes everything blurry i still wanna give it a try!

I'm taking alot of pictures indoors and at night so I'm going to need a faster lens than the 14-140mm, is the 20mm f/1.7 pretty much the one to have? Ideally i'd want something wider but not at a great sacrifice to the speed. Any recommendations?

Thanks alot!

zpierce

Super Moderator
Real Name
Zach
I don't have a GH1, but I just got a GH2 and it's limited to 1/25 (at 24fps), presumably because you are shooting at 30 frames per sec, I would think you couldn't fit 30 frames in a second if they weren't shot at 1/30 or faster?

L11

Mu-43 Rookie
Ended up googling around and it turns out you can't do it in Full HD AVCHD, you have to have it in manual focus, and you have to have the movie exposure mode to M on videos. And you can use as slow as 1/2. It just makes everything blurry at that extreme but can be use for 'artistic effect'

gcogger

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Graeme
That doesn't seem to make much sense? If your shutter speed is 1/2 sec then it's physically impossible to shoot at anything faster than 2 frames per second...

gcogger

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Graeme
Why not? Many of these scenes are extraordinarily effective.
The video modes on the camera have fixed frame rates of 25, 30 or 50 fps, so I'm not sure how you're supposed to shoot at 2fps. I've tried setting slow shutter speeds of, for example, 1/2 sec on my GH1 (in all the modes that will let me set the shutter speed), and it doesn't affect the frame rate - the video is still nice and smooth. Therefore, the camera is not using 1/2 sec shutter speed, which was kind of my point :) Now I'll admit I'm no expert on shooting video on the GH1, so it's possible I've missed a setting somewhere. If it is possible then the OP must realise that the video will become 'jerky', and not at all smooth, at slow shutter speeds.

Chris Knapton

Mu-43 Rookie
The video modes on the camera have fixed frame rates of 25, 30 or 50 fps, so I'm not sure how you're supposed to shoot at 2fps. I've tried setting slow shutter speeds of, for example, 1/2 sec on my GH1 (in all the modes that will let me set the shutter speed), and it doesn't affect the frame rate - the video is still nice and smooth. Therefore, the camera is not using 1/2 sec shutter speed, which was kind of my point :) Now I'll admit I'm no expert on shooting video on the GH1, so it's possible I've missed a setting somewhere. If it is possible then the OP must realise that the video will become 'jerky', and not at all smooth, at slow shutter speeds.
You are absolutely right. I was away from my GH1 at the time and had imagined that I remembered that it was possible to set the very long shutter speeds - but it must revert to 25 or 30 (depending on your region) when you start the video recording. A shame, I fancied some easy timelapse style video.

L11

Mu-43 Rookie
Not sure if i wasn't explaining properly but this is what i mean
[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck0dWUEWyd4]YouTube - 1/4 shutter speed on Gh1[/ame]

retnull

Mu-43 Regular
You can shoot long-exposure stills, then turn them into video. I use QuickTime Pro (v7) "Import Image Sequence"

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom