1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Being playing with my GH1 for a few days, need some help!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by L11, Dec 15, 2010.

1. L11

L11 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 8, 2010
    This forum seems the best place to ask :43: related questions so here I go!

In Manual movie mode, how can I choose a shutter speed slower than 1/30? Even if it makes everything blurry i still wanna give it a try!

I'm taking alot of pictures indoors and at night so I'm going to need a faster lens than the 14-140mm, is the 20mm f/1.7 pretty much the one to have? Ideally i'd want something wider but not at a great sacrifice to the speed. Any recommendations?

Thanks alot!

2. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I don't have a GH1, but I just got a GH2 and it's limited to 1/25 (at 24fps), presumably because you are shooting at 30 frames per sec, I would think you couldn't fit 30 frames in a second if they weren't shot at 1/30 or faster?

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    :thumbup:
    There is logic there.
    30 frames at 1/30 makes 1 second.
    30 frames at 1/10 makes 3 seconds : which cannot be done in one second no matter how Einsteiny we want to get.

4. L11

L11 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 8, 2010
    Ended up googling around and it turns out you can't do it in Full HD AVCHD, you have to have it in manual focus, and you have to have the movie exposure mode to M on videos. And you can use as slow as 1/2. It just makes everything blurry at that extreme but can be use for 'artistic effect'

5. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    That doesn't seem to make much sense? If your shutter speed is 1/2 sec then it's physically impossible to shoot at anything faster than 2 frames per second...

6. Chris Knapton

Chris Knapton Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 17, 2010
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    You might want to do a moonlit scene using a tripod.

7. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    Shooting at 2 fps is not what I'd call video (which was what the OP was asking about)!

8. Chris Knapton

Nov 17, 2010
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    Why not? Many of these scenes are extraordinarily effective.

9. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    The video modes on the camera have fixed frame rates of 25, 30 or 50 fps, so I'm not sure how you're supposed to shoot at 2fps. I've tried setting slow shutter speeds of, for example, 1/2 sec on my GH1 (in all the modes that will let me set the shutter speed), and it doesn't affect the frame rate - the video is still nice and smooth. Therefore, the camera is not using 1/2 sec shutter speed, which was kind of my point :) Now I'll admit I'm no expert on shooting video on the GH1, so it's possible I've missed a setting somewhere. If it is possible then the OP must realise that the video will become 'jerky', and not at all smooth, at slow shutter speeds.

10. Chris Knapton

Nov 17, 2010
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    You are absolutely right. I was away from my GH1 at the time and had imagined that I remembered that it was possible to set the very long shutter speeds - but it must revert to 25 or 30 (depending on your region) when you start the video recording. A shame, I fancied some easy timelapse style video.

11. L11

L11 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 8, 2010
    Not sure if i wasn't explaining properly but this is what i mean
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck0dWUEWyd4]YouTube - 1/4 shutter speed on Gh1[/ame]

12. Chris Knapton

Nov 17, 2010
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    Interesting - how did you set that? Have you tried shooting a subject that needs long exposures, like moonlight, because that was what I was hoping was possible.

13. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    I'd like to know that too!

14. retnull

retnull Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2010
    You can shoot long-exposure stills, then turn them into video. I use QuickTime Pro (v7) "Import Image Sequence"