Being a cheapskate and modding a reflector.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
I decided I needed another studio flash. The Adorama Flashpoint AD-600 TTL Pro was working really well for HSS with the birds. I'm getting an average of f/5,6 and always wishing for a stop or two more for some added DOF. Maybe second one for pointing in different direction too. I also bought a spare battery for it, but they last a long time as is.

I put one on my Wishlist with Adorama and got a notice today the price dropped from $899 to $809. Seriously thinking of buying it. Adorama supplied my first one as they were the Amazon Prime 2nd party seller and included a nice fitted case which B&H Photo does not with their Godox AD-600 brand unit (Same flash unit, but I believe the Adorama Flashpoint branded one has a USA warranty on it and the Godox one does not.).

On looking for a reflector for it, maybe a long throw 45 degree 11" reflector like the ones I have on my (Retired since Godox) Paul Buff studio units. I put the Buff reflector on the Flashpoint AD-600 and found it was maybe a few millimeters larger than the heat sink on it, but it slipped on over it. My initial thought was to make three little nubs and screw them onto the Buff reflector as like the Bowen mount ones. However, I took a bungee cord off my cases and wrapped it around the handle of the Flashpoint and clipped it to the front of the dish, and saved me from buying a new $59.95 Glow Long Focus reflector for the Flashpoint.

Buff-to-Flashpoint-2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Buff-to-Flashpoint-1.jpg

Now, where's the birds? :dance3:

Aside:
Fwiw, An optional 7" reflector on the flash tosses 1/3 stop more than the stock 5" reflector that came with the flash. The 11" Long Throw above is one full stop more than the 5" stock one. :thumbup:

Later:
Bought second one. More surprising was once in my cart, the price dropped again to $749 instead of $809. YAY! It's at the $749 price right now on their website too - but for how long? :2thumbs:

Last edited:

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Did a HSS test of this reflector and the AD-600 TTL Pro flash unit. ISO 200 at 10 feet.

Guide numbers are as follows:
1/250 GN=160
1/500 GN=90
1/1000 GN=63
1/2000 GN=45
1/4000 GN=32
1/8000 GN=25

You can see the six exposures in the Workspace window below from 1/250 on left to 1/8000 HSS on right. (The one in yellow is the 1/4000 one with a GN=32 as also shown in the EXIF data as 1/4000 sec. @ f/3.2 at 10 feet distance. ISO 200.).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom