Behind the Scenes - Play by Play

Robert Watcher

Mu-43 All-Pro
2 grassroots documentary videos being made - based on a project proposal to a recent challenge.

Several years ago, I had a lot of fun with a "Play by Play" thread that I started on my ProPhotoForum (since sold and no longer running) - related to the complete sequence of events for one of my Love Story Sessions. Each day I would post the updated information for photographers who were following the story. It was quite successful and helpful to some.

I hadn't even considered such a thing for the "Old Dog teach New Dog tricks" videos that my grandson Mason and I have started working on as a project for the summer holidays - - - until my wife Anne came outside this morning with our MiniDV camcorder and started shooting a little bit of video of what we were doing.

Then I came to the realization that a "Behind the Scenes Play by Play" thread would be a natural extension of what we will be doing week by week until completion of the final videos. With short descriptions of the happenings of the day as well as 2 or 3 minute clips from Anne and a few stills - those who want to follow along can - - - and those who would have to wait until the end of the project wondering whether we will ever finish, will know how things are progressing.

------

Some Background Info for those who don't know what "Old Dog teach New Dog tricks" is . . .

In May, Mason and I submitted a video proposal to a Getolympus comptition. It was based on the most YouTube votes. Even though it appears that we didn't have a chance at getting into the top 6 of voting (which would have provided us with an Olympus E-PL1 and a $5,000 budget to make the video) - - - Mason and I aren't letting that stop us from completing our Projects based on the premise presented in the Olympus Challenge Proposal.

Last week we started laying out some of the basic concepts and each week during his and Reegan's summer holidays on the Thursdays that Anne and I babysit them for our son and his wife - - - we will be spending part of the day filming the 2 stories. Our intention is to have everything completed by the time they go back to school in September.

Without 2 Olympus E-PL1 cameras to use (mine and the one that Olympus would have been providing if we won ), it does make for a bit of a challenge as my initial thoughts were that we need one camera for my documentary and one for Mason to use for his movie.

Barring that, my practical work around has been for me to use the E-PL1 and have him use my MinDV camcorder. Of course there would not be the control and cool image quality for Mason's video doing it that way - - - but it is what we have to work with . . .

. . . until awaking from my sleep on the morning of July 4'th, 2010, I got the strange concept to just use one camera - the E-PL1 - for both of us. Doing that definitely creates some challenges, but may give a quirkiness to the movie too (mine anyway). So over the next week or so I'll have to figure out a script that will work without being able to physically show me instructing Mason (I will be running the camera) and without Mason being shown filming his movie (he will be running the camera). The more I think about it, the more opportunities working that way may open for a video that won't just look like an instructional video. WE'LL SEE HOW IT GOES!

------

Robert Watcher

Mu-43 All-Pro
July 8'th, 2010

Mason and Reegan arrived early this morning. We knew we were in for a hot and probably rainy day, so decided to get some groundwork layed out this morning as well as do a little bit of shooting to familiarize ourselves with what is in store and really to just give us a "kick start" on our projects. Then it was off to the beach to enjoy the rest of the day.

12786309726492_odndpromo.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

One thing that became very apparent to Mason was that a lot of more thought had to go into making a video than just coming up with a storyline and shooting it. First off was the realization that they will be coming to work on the project weekly - and that consistency of clothing hair styles etc - had to be taken into consideration when all filming won't be taking place on the same day. Especially would that be the case when different shots and sequances may be filmed out of order to accomodate the weather, sickness, effeciency and the fact that we will only be shooting all of the scenes of their dog Daisy (for Mason's video), on one day - - - and yet other shots related and having to match, may be shot on other days.

Our decision was to take pictures of everyone involved, as a reference - so they can have the exact same things on for the video where there needs to be consistency.

Also Msaon had to get used to shooting with my E-PL1 before we start the main shooting - as well he has to be able to shoot any scenes with me in it, for my video project - - - and so a bit of time was spent teaching him a few elementary things. One tough one for him was focusing manually - - - as well as composing so that people are off to the side and not centered, and handholding his camera steadily. He shot a few on the video clips that will be inserted into an opening sequence for my video (a couple of them in the behind the scenes video) - - - and immediately upon looking at them, he was able to see what I was talking about with regards to composition. He's a quick learner and hopefully will be able to hone those skills as we go along.

Anyway . . .

. . . HERE IS OUR FIRST BEHIND THE SCENES PLAY BY PLAY VIDEO - - - which is basically just introducing everyone to the main players:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0ej1QTCo7k"]YouTube - Old Dog teach New Dog tricks - Behind the Scenes July 8, 2010[/ame]

See you next week!

---

Latest threads

Top Bottom