Beginning of the end for legacy fast-fifties?

Mellow

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tom
What to do, what to do?

It's really interesting reading trough this thread. There were lots of posts hemming and hawing about the 45mm f/1.8--"let's just see if it's any good". Now that it's out and apparently VERY good I wonder what these posters think now?

Personally it's a real dilemma for me. I don't share any of the nostalgia for metal-bodied lenses or MF; I actually prefer light plastic and super-quick AF. I'm sure I'd use the new 45mm much more than my existing legacy 50mm. But my 50mm cost $0.01, and there's a big difference between $400 and $0.01, and so the question, for me, is whether or not the Oly is worth $400 given how much I shoot that focal length?

I still haven't decided.

0dBm

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I just responded to another post about my Canon FD 50/1.4 that has been collecting dust since 1982 along with the AE-1.

Now that I have the fabulous O45/1.8, the only reason for me to put an adapter on the FD50 is for nostalgia.

I'll still keep the AE-1*FD50 as a milepost not just in my photography career, but a placeholder in my life.

digitalandfilm

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'll still keep the AE-1*FD50 as a milepost not just in my photography career, but a placeholder in my life.
Believe it or not, I'm getting an OM body to put an OM prime lens on for just the same reason.

Markb

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mark
digitalandfilm said:
Believe it or not, I'm getting an OM body to put an OM prime lens on for just the same reason.
And that's exactly what's going to happen to my OM lenses. Add some APX100 and a bottle of Rodinal and use them as Maitani intended.

apicius9

Mu-43 Veteran
Still grumbling about the price of the 45/1.8. I need to replace rather than add, and I wonder if it is worth it selling a Planar to fund the Oly. My dream lens would be a 60/1.5, and in that case I would not hesitate for one moment.

Stefan

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
I'm not sure I was QUITE hemming and hawing, but I was expressing a bit of caution. Which has gone to the wind, and I'm damn glad it did. I had a Voigtlander 50 f1.5 I liked a lot, but ended up selling it for the price of the 45 f1.8. Any minor differences in the supposed quality are more than overwhelmed by having a lens like this with fast AF. It works as well as the Voigt for the things I used that lens for, but its expanded my shooting into areas I'd have never dared tread with a manual lens. Bottom line, I'm having a lot more fun with this lens than I ever did with that one. And I'm using it in more ways than I'd ever imagined using my old "nifty fifty". So, for me, yeah, they're dead.

The king is dead - long live the new king!

-Ray

soundimageplus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've certainly changed my lens use since the introduction of the the three fast m4/3 primes this year. In addition to the 45mm f/1.8 the 12mm f/2 from Olympus and the 25mm f/1.4 from Panasonic, have as far as I'm concerned made my use of "alternative / legacy" lenses fairly pointless.

All three of these lenses produce superb results for me, and as has been said earlier in this post, they are all very good indeed wide open. This is something that is often lacking in old MF lenses, unless you are prepared to pay quite high prices.

The 45mm f/1.8 is, in my opinion, an absolutely terrific lens, its sharp at all apertures, is coupled with my Olympus to provide the best possible optical performance and for what it is, isn't that expensive.

Does anyone imagine that it would be as good if it was half the price?

To a large extent for me, it takes away all that "fiddling" that manual focus legacy lenses, for all their charms, put me through. Since using this and the other primes I mentioned, I certainly have far less missed shots.

When m4/3 was in its infancy as a system, alternative lenses had a place. Indeed I used many of them. However I have no need to use them any more, and while I can understand that people may enjoy using them, that was never the attraction for me. For me it was always the quality that was the most important thing plus the ability to have a wide aperture for low light. The 45mm f/1.8 gives me that now with AF and full compatibility with my cameras. I find it virtually impossible to tell the difference between the results from it and my Zeiss 50mm f/2 M-Mount lens. Since I think the Zeiss is the best lens I've ever owned, that shows just how good I think the 45mm f/1.8 is.

My "legacy" lenses still have a place for the NEX cameras I use, and Sony still have some way to go to provide the same range as m4/3. However they will get round to it eventually, and I may then "retire" my Zeiss to its natural home, on my M9.

ripleys baby

Part time philistine
Real Name
Forgot
££££$$$$$

The beginning of the end ? I would say no to that.
12 25 45 fast primes = a whole lot of dosh.
Way out of my price range, the way things are going right now, and you
can be sure there are more folk who cant afford fast AF glass than those
who can.
If i had the spare cash you bet i would buy them.
The beginning of the end ? No way. But i am sure the cost of buying legacy glass will go up.

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
The beginning of the end ? No way. But i am sure the cost of buying legacy glass will go up.
This doesn't seem consistent with the rest of your post. I don't doubt that legacy 50's will continue to exist and be used, but the demand will not be HIGHER for them? Hence, the price shouldn't go UP. Many of them are so low they don't have room to come down, but I don't see where the pressure would be to drive them up.

-Ray

ripleys baby

Part time philistine
Real Name
Forgot
This doesn't seem consistent with the rest of your post. I don't doubt that legacy 50's will continue to exist and be used, but the demand will not be HIGHER for them? Hence, the price shouldn't go UP. Many of them are so low they don't have room to come down, but I don't see where the pressure would be to drive them up.

-Ray
The three charity shops i visited on Saturday, all said since they became aware that legacy glass could be used on new digital cameras, the demand had increased. So they started charging more. They shop where i bought my lens
said also, some had come to donate lenses, only to take them away to sell private.:frown:

RDM

Mu-43 All-Pro
love my fast legacy glass. I bet the 45/1.8 is sharper wide open than my Rokkor 50mm 1.4 pr 45mm 2.0, but the Rokkor's IQ is of acceptable quality. I cant afford to find out anyway. And unless new lenses sell for close to the cost of legacy glass i am certain they will still be around, bought, sold and used often. If anything the introduction of the darn µ4/3 system caused the prices of many legacy lenses to double or even triple.

RDM

Mu-43 All-Pro
So why does the 12mm cost so much more?
More than what ?
The Olympus 12mm f2.0 is about 800 USD and gives us the FF equivalent of a 24mm lens

For example:
the Canon EF mount 24mm f/1.4L Lens is about 1600 USD
and the EF 24mm f/2.8 Autofocus Lens is about 350 USD

So our oly 12mm is about in the middle of the speed of those two lenses and less than in the middle of the price of those but at the top in quality.

There are many 3rd party equivalent lenses for the other name brand DSLRs that are cheaper but for us currently not any 3rd party competition for an Olympus 12mm equivalent.

So i do not think its over priced. I still wont be able to afford to buy one.
The 12mm Nokton is going to be priced too expensive i feel, especially since the reports that the manufacturer stated it is soft wide open and recommend it be stopped down. But it will be more affordable.

Markb

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mark
The only other rectilinear 12mm prime I can think of is the Cosina Voigtlander 12/5.6. The Olympus 12/2 looks like a bargain by comparison.

ke7dbx

Mu-43 Regular
No one really has any idea how the new lens will perform, so how could anyone make a well thought out decision?

Also, there are two camps here

- Those that enjoy vintage glass or manual lenses

- Those that use vintage glass as either a cost saving or alternative to native lenses.

Depends on which camp you belong to. Its my opinion that most who adapt glass when a similar native option (albeit more expensive) exists for cost reasons alone will realize that its not worth the trouble and eventually buying the native glass option.
In my case I belong to both camps. :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom