1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Beginning of the end for legacy fast-fifties?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Luckypenguin, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Even more so than the Canon EOS and Four Thirds lens mounts, Micro Four Thirds with it's short flange distance and constant live view opened up all sorts of possibilities to use adapted lenses. At first this was a necessity due to the limited lens line-up, but the gaps are slowly but surely being filled. The most popular type of adapted lens would appear to be the classic "fast fifty"; fifty-something millimetre lenses with a maximum aperture of at least f/2. This is as much as for their usefulness as a portrait or short-telephoto lens as it is for their price and availability.

Now that Olympus has announced the M Zuiko 45/1.8, I'm wondering if the older legacy lenses will start to lose some of their appeal. The price of the Zuiko is reasonable at ~$400, although I say that with reservations when comparing it to the cost of a full-frame Canon 50mm f1.8 II as an example.

How many would give up their old fast fifties plus an extra few hundred dollars for this new lens?

• Like Like x 1
  2. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    I love my Olympus OM System 50/1.8, and my very..expensive.. 55/1.2 lenses!

So I really had a hard time talking myself into actually going through with the pre-order process. I added it to the cart, and closed the browser window numerous times, but this morning I went ahead and pre-ordered the lens!

Once I get this new lens in Sept, I am not sure what will happen to my legacy lenses..(hopefully they will keep being used), but knowing that new lenses are being released for the Micro Four Thirds system is exciting news for me & hope Olympus makes lots of money!!! :thumbup:

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    My OM 50/1.8 cost me $28, Konica 40/1.8 - $30, Jupiter 50/2 - $30...nope, I don't see giving up on fast 50's just yet.

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Sold my takumars, but kept my om 50 2.0 macro. It's a great lens, and I do like to play with MF, though I really appreciate AF.

Of course, some of it will depend on the actual performance of the new 45/1.8.

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    So I have a pre-order on the new 45, and I don't know if I really want it. Yeah it's fast...ish...but at 1.4 my Rokkor fifty is quicker still. Okay, so it's an auto lens but does it rally matter for this type of lens? Does it $400 matter? That is a tough one for me.

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Even a mid-priced fast 50mm like a Super Takumar 1.4 @ $100 is a LONG ways from $400. I guess it all depends on how thick your wallet is.

Also, some prefer the look, feel or performance of the old glass. Sales of the the Zuiko will be brisk, but you can't stop people from experimenting with the great old lenses that are all out there already.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I didn't find many of the legacy 50s very good at 1.4, so I'm not sure of much of that benefit.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That's a good point, WT21. Digital Zuiko lenses have a reputation to keep for sharp wide open shooting. If they coulnd't make the 45mm sharp at f/1.8 then I'm sure they wouldn't make it. With its fast AF, I can see loads of possibility for this lens. When I found out the price I was very happy... this lens is going to be perfect for me. Not saying there haven't been lots of great m43 lenses made, but this sounds like the best I've heard of at such an affordable price range.

9. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    I love my Konica 40mm f1.8 and my 50mm f1.7, but I am so looking forward to getting the Oly 45mm f1.8 instead. When I use my wireless flash triggers to flash my Einstein and my speedlight, I can't use the VF-2, and when the lens is stopped down to f8-f16, it's such a pain in the A$$ to focus because everything looks super grainy on the E-PL2 LCD screen, especially w/ MF Assist.

The Konicas and legacy lenses are fine when focusing wide open, a pain to focus stopped down.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    So why does the 12mm cost so much more?

11. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Am I the only one that thinks $400 is expensive? I realize that compared to other native lenses it isn't too far off the mark...but 4 bones is still spendy. Maybe because I don't find myself shooting a lot of portraits and when I do my Zuiko 50/1.8 has been spectacular.

I look forward to seeing samples from the 45 but I'll be content to love it from afar.

12. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    I'm very tempted by this lens. Along with the 20/1.7 it would almost exactly replicate my light Leica M travel kit of body with a 35mm mounted and a 90 in my pocket. Mind you, if I'm not worried about speed or differential focus the 14-42 does this already. Hmm...

13. I was kinda alluding to the price of the M Zuiko 45/1.8 being merely reasonable rather than spectacular when I threw in the example of the EF 50mm f1.8. I realise that the EF50 is all pastic and has a horrible grinding AF motor, but optically it's a damn good lens that can be had for less than $150 brand new. Now an equivalent native Micro 4/3 lens at THAT price would cause jaws to drop, but somehow I don't think that's ever going to happen. At $400 it may not kill off the legacy lens trade just yet :wink:

14. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I am definitely keeping my 50mm Summicron, but I consider selling the C/Y Planar and/or the Contax G Planar, but I have no immediate plans to buy the new Olympus. As tempting as an AF lens is, what I really would like is a slightly longer length. Manual focusing is just too much fun to let go of the 50mm lenses.

Stefan

15. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Keeping the Konica 1.4. It does great at f2.0,and In a pinch acceptable at 1.4. Focus at these focal lengths on e-p1 in great, but not quick . Not so great in bright light. I still am looking at the 45mm for events. I'm more interested in a good auto focus 25mm for outdoor work. My Vivitar 24 is great, but a pain to focus, because have to push buttons to get assist.

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    DSLR shooters very often use legacy lenses....

17. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    likely built better, and it's harder to make, more glass, has a distance scale, etc

I think it will depend on the IQ and build of the lens. There seems to be no clear information on if it is metal like the 12, just simply silver, or some kind of mix.

But not being 1.4, yeah, $400 does seem a bit expensive. But I'll take it if it's sharp wide open. I don't want to preorder, but at the same time, i don't want to get stuck waiting 3-6 months for it if it's a fast seller.

Oh, and to the OP, I doubt it will end anything. My 50/1.4 Super tak cost me $60 w/o the adapter =) And I'll still probably use it after getting the 45/1.8

18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Didn't know a distance scale could be so expensive....

19. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

No one really has any idea how the new lens will perform, so how could anyone make a well thought out decision?

Also, there are two camps here

- Those that enjoy vintage glass or manual lenses

- Those that use vintage glass as either a cost saving or alternative to native lenses.

Depends on which camp you belong to. Its my opinion that most who adapt glass when a similar native option (albeit more expensive) exists for cost reasons alone will realize that its not worth the trouble and eventually buying the native glass option.

20. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    11 lenses in 8 groups (= a lot of glass)
    7 blades diaphragm (very precise mechanism to follow new FAST AF)
    Two Extra-High Refractive Lenses **very very expensive
    Dual Super Aspherical Lens *** very very very expensive
    Super High Refractive Lens * very expensive

I'd say there's a good chance you'll get what you pay for on this one. I'm drooling in anticipation of the tests, although I can't see myself justifying to SWMBO in the foreseeable future that I really, really, really need to buy it (need it more than I would need to offer her a ring or a necklace, that is to say).

Cheers,