1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Beginners tips in GX1 video mode

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by rossi46, Jan 29, 2013.

1. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012
    I have just started to take video using GX1 after 1 year of still pictures.

I have zero clue, so, some tips and answers to dummy's questions here are most welcomed -

1. Camera shake, I noticed that there are very jarring shake when I walk and shoot at the same time. (I used 45mm and 20mm lens).

Any tips to minimize that? Is there any DIY solution such as making myself a bean bag or something like that to hold the camera while walking and shooting?

2. Whats the best way to selectively change focus when I shoot?

3. I had read that we should stick to a camera's native ISO.
    Is GX1's native ISO 160 - 320 - 640 - 1250 etc..?
    If we choose ISO value in between above mentioned values, we end up with poor noisy video?

4. Any one has a link to some useful Photoshop video editing tutorials?

5. Shutter speed -
    How does shutter speed affect video recording? I understand you need high shutter speed for slow motion video? By the way how do you capture slow motion video?

6. MP4 vs AVHC (or something like that) -
    MP4 is great for computer viewing while AVHC is great for viewing on TV screen?
    Why is that so?
    Is that all about MP4 vs AVHC format?

2. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    Camera Shake - you'll want a stabilizer of some sort. Since the GX1 is small and light there are a lof options which will work well for you - ranging from stabilizer handles to steadicams ... do a search on "Steadicam" on Amazon and you'll see a ton of options. There are DIY steadicams too - check out YouTube for tons of videos. I made one - it worked, but it was a hassle and it didn't save me much money over a cheap pre-built solution, so really it was just an excuse to say "I made it myself" more than anything else.

Focus. The best way to focus while shooting is to switch to manual focus and leave it there. You can get a focus ring attachment to smooth this out depending on what lens you are using. This is also a great excuse to delve into adapted vintage lenses since the manual focusing mechanisms are often fantastic to use. If you must use auto focus, I believe you can do focus tracking with the touch screen (I can on my GH2, I just assume you can on the GX1). You will also likely have noise issues with auto focus from the motor, so factor that in.

Shutter speed. Most recommendations for shutter speed that I see are to use double the fps rate so 50 for 24fps, 60 for 30fps, etc.) Shutter speed isn't what you want for slow motion, btw, you are thinking of frame rate.

MP4 vs. AVCHD. AVCHD is better quality but the files are larger and there are some compatibility issues (though if you are using Photoshop for video editing I assume it's CS6 and in that case you will not have any problem). MP4 is lower quality, but still pretty decent depending on your application, and is more universally supported.

ISO. I've never heard any such thing about the ISO (native ISO, that is), and I know a couple of pros who definitely don't follow that advice. The biggest thing is not to use any auto ISO settings, but bumping up your ISO when needed is perfectly fine.

I have not used my GX1 for vid since I have the GH2 and a 5D MkIII which are much more suited to that purpose, but from what I've seen it's a capable platform for learning the very basics and then subsequently figuring out what you'll want/need with your next camera body.