1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Beginners questions: Panny GF1 and lenses

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by m12 shakes, Feb 8, 2010.

1. m12 shakes

m12 shakes New to Mu-43

Feb 8, 2010
    England
    I'm looking to get a decent camera, as well as delve a little into photography as a hobby.

I've narrowed the camera down to the Panasonic GF1; however there are two different lenses one can buy with the camera.

Most my pictures will be of family and friends, as well as landscapes, animals when on holiday etc.

The two options of lenses being 20mm and the 14-45mm.

Why is the 20mm more expensive than the latter? Surely the 14-45mm can do everything the 20mm can do? (apart from being a slower lens).

Would it also be worth getthing the 45-200mm lens?

Thanks,

m12

2. da_snuff

da_snuff New to Mu-43

Feb 4, 2010
    Australia
    I got the 20 mm instead of the 14 - 45 and really like it, very sharp images and lots of fun. You are paying for the wider aperture and the compactness.

I could be wrong but from the RRP's I saw I don't think there was initially supposed to be a difference in price between the two, but then all over the net there is a premium on the 20 mm...
    The 20 mm is also in more demand, I had to get mine on back order because the 20 mm was sold out, at the time they had 14-45's in stock.

However, reviews of the 14-45 are very good, and if you are going to use your GF1 for a variety of shots then you'll want more than just the 20 mm.
    I would suggest you get both, I doubt you would regret it at all. This way when you want to be creative, use the 20, when you need a bit of width or zoom, stick on the 14-45..

my 2 cents ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alan Wolf

Alan Wolf Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    20mm

Since you want to get more serious about photography, I would advise the 20mm lens. The directness of shooting with a fixed lens is a great discipline, and will really help you develop a better understanding of composition; in not having the additional distraction of being able to zoom, you will need to think a bit more about each shot, and the best way to frame it. Many schools make fixed lenses a requirement in their classes, just for this reason.

In any case, you will want the 20mm lens, even if you started with one of the zooms. It is over 2 stops faster, and much smaller. Even though the zooms are sharp, it is sharper. It's also an excellent length lens to walk around with; working well with landscapes, and pretty near perfect for people shots (except for head and shoulder portraits).

Welcome to the hobby—obviously it's gotten all of us enthralled.

• Like Like x 1
  4. m12 shakes

m12 shakes New to Mu-43

Feb 8, 2010
    England
    Thanks for the replies...

I've done more reading around photography in general, and as you guys have said, the 20mm would be the better option.
    What initially made me think twice, was zooming into an object, where I can't physically move closer. However it looks like I'll be getting 1 or 2 more lenses on top of this one to give me more options.

The 20mm offers a decent amount of width to begin with, so the next lens would be the 45-200mm. Trouble being I can't seem to find many review on that particular one.

5. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
  6. m12 shakes

m12 shakes New to Mu-43

Feb 8, 2010
    England
    Thanks for that Glenn, it's just confirmed that it will be my second lens.