Beginner question: Noise Reduction on E-PL2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Frunch, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Frunch

Frunch Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2011
    I've noticed some members state that they keep the noise reduction turned off on their cameras. I would think to leave it turned on, what reasons are there to leave it turned off?

Thanks! :smile:
    Trevor

2. DIS Ottawa

DIS Ottawa Guest

In camera noise reduction usually results in a loss of detail. If you do need to do noise reduction, use a dedicated program once the image is on your computer.

Lightroom has a very good one built into the Develop module. As well, you can Bing "Noise reduction programs" and you'll find a bunch to choose from.

• Like Like x 1
  3. yottavirus

yottavirus Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    I would leave it on LOW as it's a good compromise between detail and noise.
    If you are willing to post process the image, shoot raw as it gives you complete control over the processing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Frunch

Frunch Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2011
    So the in-camera noise reduction is inferior to noise reduction software and programs like Lightroom? It's starting to make a lot more sense to me now... I have begun shooting in RAW, so I'll turn off the noise reduction and see what I can do in PP.

Thanks! :smile:
    Trevor

5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Hey, Trevor. I run my E-P2 and E-P3 with noise reduction off and very rarely do anything in post production to reduce noise. I much prefer noise grain (but really only seen when I pixel peep) to noise reduction artifacts (smearing, artificial/digital p&s look).

The analogy for me that makes sense is re-releases of movies on Blu-Ray (or even DVD in some cases). Some of the studios make an attempt to eliminate all grain, because lot of people expect HD to be pristine, but they end up with all sorts of nasty noise reduction artifacts, like, edge enhancement jaggies, halos and fake smoothness of some objects. It is usually better if they leave the grain alone, or just apply a very basic amount of NR. I think less is more for noise reduction.

• Like Like x 1