Beginner photography book suggestion?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Frunch, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Frunch

Frunch Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  2. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I'm a beginner too an many more experienced and pro photographers say you tube is the best place to learn from. I have no idea about book to read, sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 1
  3. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Oh and people on this forum are a wealth of knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 2
  4. Frunch

Frunch Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2011
    Agreed! :biggrin:

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Peterson is Great!

His books are interesting to read and full of very practical helps. I have four of his books - well worth the money. :2thumbs:

6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    That's the book I started with, and was suggested by multiple forum members.
    I started a thread awhile back "Need some knowledge" will give a list of books that are suggested reading for the beginner. I'm still working my way through those, hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  7. scotth

scotth Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2011
    Michigan
    I recommend Understanding Exposure as well, it is a very good book, especially for someone new to photography.

8. kundalini

kundalini Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2011
  9. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I have both the photographers mind and the photographers eye by michael freeman. Both really good books dealing with light and composition.

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The bottom line is to shoot. Online help is good, books are good ... but in order to advance one's photographic skills, you gotta shoot. Then shoot again and when your done shooting for the day ... take a few more snaps. When you find an image when really grabs you, try to emulate the image ... when you are drawn into an image take a step back and ask yourself what elements of that photo really grabs your attention.

Good Luck and Good Shooting,
    Gary

11. Frunch

Frunch Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! :smile:

I'm ordering Understanding Exposure for now, and will definitely check out the other suggestions too.

Trevor

12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    PS- Join a group that has weekly outings ... that will help you shoot often and in different environments.

G

• Like Like x 1
  13. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Understanding Exposure is a great place to start - it will give you the background and vocabulary to understand what people are saying and make better use of your time out shooting, but, as Gary said, it's really about getting out and shooting.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    I highly, highly recommend Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure! His field guide is also good in learning the other aspects of your camera, although a good portion of the same info is repeated.

After that, it will depend on which direction you take your photography (landscape, natural light, off-camera flash, studio lighting, models, food, etc)

Neil Van Nierkerk and Christopher Grey are great for learning ligthing, too.

15. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Bryan Peterson's exposure book is where i retained some useful concepts. The internet can be a little convoluted for some of us new age newbs.

16. silverbullet

silverbullet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 10, 2010
  17. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Boy, if I wasn't totally against books and trying to de-clutter my life I would totally buy that set.

I agree with the getting out and shooting. Read when you can to learn the terminology and how all the functions of the camera are related, but shoot, shoot, shoot.

18. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    I also like Bryan Peterson Understanding Exposure for learning all the technical stuff, but for inspiration and awe inspiring images I recommend Within the Frame, simply my favorite
    Amazon.com: Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision (9780321605023): David duChemin: Books

And my other recommendation is Bryan Peterson Understanding Photography
    Amazon.com: Bryan Peterson's Understanding Photography Field Guide: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera (9780817432256): Bryan Peterson: Books

And the best thing about this books is that you can probably find them at your local library for free.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    +1 on sinpig's second reference: "Understanding Photography Field Guide..."

I briefly flipped through that one and purchased it as a gift for a friend. It paired well with her new pen.