1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Beginner Photography book reccomendations

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by MrBeens, Dec 1, 2011.

1. MrBeens

MrBeens Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 19, 2011
    Hi

I'm thinking of getting my brother in law a beginners book on photography for Christmas, as he has just bought a DSLR to take pics of his imminent baby.
    Anyone got a recommendation for a book that covers all the basics / intermediate stuff?

2. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    An excellent book is Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. It's the best one for a novice.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I like Michael Freeman's "The Photographers Eye" and "The Photographer's Mind".

• Like Like x 4
  4. robertmwilliams

robertmwilliams Mu-43 Regular

+1 on this title.
    Also the first 2 of the Scott Kelby Digital Photography books are good as well.
    However, for me, his over use of the 'Step 1...Step 2...' format get tiresome after the first 2 and I never finished the others in the series.

5. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    And another recommendation on this. Have nearly finished it and have learnt loads, enough to practice with for years!

6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    If you don't want to get too technical and are looking for something that will cover the basics and provide some inspiration, I recommend "The LIFE Guide to Digital Photography" by Joe McNally. I gave this book to my niece this summer when I gifted her my Panasonic G1.

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    x4

8. MrBeens

MrBeens Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 19, 2011
    Thanks guys.

9. SimonL

SimonL Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    NW England
    His Camera Manual

10. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Recommended! =)

11. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    Hmm.. it seems that I'll be getting a Bryan Peterson's book :biggrin:

12. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It's available on Kindle now, or you can check out a copy at your local library.

Believe me, it won't take you long to read it!

13. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    I second Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson, but take a look at "The Photographer's Eye" too. It's got some amazing stuff related to composition.

• Like Like x 1
  14. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yes, and take your kids too. Very under utilized resource.

15. chrisdors

chrisdors Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2011
    Milwaukee
    100% agree on this. I went from using P mode to being comfortable in M mode in 1 night. I still have a ton to learn- but the basics were so perfectly explained. What a fantastic book for beginners.

Chris

16. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Which, interestingly, is exactly the opposite of what Bryan Petersen recommends ... LOL

Don't underestimate the power and value of P mode with program shift, or A/S modes. There are certain instances where manual mode is required (off camera flash, fixing exposure for a panorama, sunny 16, etc), but otherwise, you are generally better off using P, A, or S.

17. chrisdors

chrisdors Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Understood- and I still shoot in P, A, and S modes- I just said that I am comfrotable in M mode. I think being comfortable in M mode is exactly what Bryan Petersen is hoping his readers can become, as opposed to being intimidated by it.