Beginner looking to get into micro 4/3

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by ianharvey123, Apr 21, 2014.

1. ianharvey123

ianharvey123 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2014

I'm looking to upgrade from a point and shoot camera.I have chosen to go down the micro 4/3 road instead of getting an dslr.I have down some research into it all but there is so much! I have £800 or $1334 for a body and lenses,I would like to shoot general things with some landscapes/nature.Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance,Ian
  2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    What have you narrowed down to? I'm partial to the Olympus stuff myself. Just feels right coming from a DSLR world. The PEN series are good, maybe look at a used EP3 or newer model there, our a used OMD EM5.

for general shooting, the Olympus 17/1.8 is sharp and versatile.

Either way, you've got a good base to start with and grow from.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
  3. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Well for me, coming from the dslr world I am partial to the G5. I'd happily try one of the OMD bodies though to see how they work for me.
  4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    If you have an opportunity to handle some of these cameras in a store, I think if would help you make up your mind. Do you want something small , or would a larger DSLR style camera be fine with you? Will you use it screen only, or do you think you would like to use a viewfinder?
    Your budget gives you room for all but the latest bodies like Gh4 or Em1 plus some lenses. I would recommend getting one of the cheaper zooms like 14-42/14-45 to start and a bright prime like 20mm/1.7.
  5. ianharvey123

Apr 21, 2014
    Hi thanks for the replies

I have been looking at all the main companies but inperticular sony and olympus.Its really between the sony a6000 and the Olympus OM-D E-M5.If I got went with olympus what would be a good all round lens and a good lens for landscapes?
  6. Jacquesass

Jacquesass Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2014
    I'm partial to the Panasonic bodies/menus, but the E-PM2 double kit lens deal is pretty great. Not sure about the prices in the UK (assuming that's where you are), but you can get:

E-PM2 + 14-42 + 40-150 = $399
    Olympus 25/1.8 = $350 (Amazon 3rd party)
    Olympus 45/1.8 = $350 (Amazon 3rd party)

That's ~$1100 bucks and you have 2 decent zooms and 2 great primes. Take your extra $230 and get a nice strap, an extra battery, a bag, some filters, a tripod ... or put it in the bank until you're ready to get a future G7 or discounted EM10.
  7. Der@

Der@ Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2013
    Hi, this is my modest contribution to your question... and somewhat my "dream" set:
    - OM-D E-M10 if you don't really need a weather resistant body or the E-M5 if you need;
    - Oly 17mm f/1.8 for landscapes;
    - Oly 25mm f/1.8 all around lens;
    - Oly 45mm f/1.8 for portraits and the like.
    All good rated lenses, fast enough for dim light, not so expensive and lightweight.
  8. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Keep in mind that Sony is not micro 4/3, but is a competitor mirrorless system with a larger sensor. If you decide on the a6000, it is a great camera. I have used the older version NEX-6 and it is very competent and usable for beginners or professionals without issue. If you DO decide to get micro 4/3, the E-M10 is probably a better choice as a first camera for you than the E-M1. It is a nice camera with good image quality and good controls which will grow with you. The Panasonic DMC-G5 is a good choice too; better in some ways, and worse in others, but if I had the choice at the same price, I would choose the E-M10.

I disagree that you should get prime (non-zoon) lenses. Start with the bundled zoom lens, the 14-42mm or 12-50mm and shoot with it for a few months. Then, slowly start building up your kit. For a beginner (heck, even for me for a long time, and I came from a long line of photography experience) just the camera and the standard zoom lens will be enough for you.
  9. ianharvey123

Apr 21, 2014
    Yeah i'm in the uk so prices seem to be more expensive from what i've seen.So unfortunatly the setups above are out of my price range.Anyone used the sony a6000 if so is it any good?I think i'm going to stick with the kit lens to begin with and then geteither the 17mm or 25mm later as there just outside my budget
  10. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    The key thing is that a G5 is much cheaper than a EM10, by about a prime lens worth. I would say to get the bundled zoom and then a prime a couple of months in, after you see where you like to shoot (reach, wide, normal, all -ish). The prime may help develop your photographic "eye" more than a kit, as it forces you to "see" differently.

Overall I would suggest a G5, 14-42, and a couple of spare batteries. Then after a few months, get either: a Sigma 12mm or 14mm for wide option, a Panasonic 20mm or Olympus 25mm for normal-ish, or an Olympus 45 or legacy lens for tele-ish. I would suggest trying out a manual only lens of decent reputation (any "fast 50mm" would be fine) as it is either a love or hate relationship. You would be in it about $800-900, with money to spend on filters/tripod/bag/etc that catch your eye. I think the biggest mistake someone can have (and I was guilty of it as well) is to jump into the ILC field and buy several different lenses, because they all have different purposes! Get a lens, learn it inside and out, and then see where the holes are you need to fill. The kit lenses are great in allowing you to "see" different focal lengths, but trade off on maximum aperture (meaning slower shutters and more depth of field).
  11. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The a6000 looks like one of the best value camera bodies out there right now. Better sensor than any of the Panasonic G cameras, best AF of any of the Sony cams, good EVF...depends on whether you like the handling and the lens selection. I prefer MFT for all round use and lens options, but really so like the Sony A7r I have, and have played with the idea of an a6000 (same lens mount).
  12. ianharvey123

Apr 21, 2014
    Would the gh3 be any good?
  13. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    It would be excellent! But not cheap.
  14. ianharvey123

Apr 21, 2014
    should i get sony a6000 it seems good any lens recomendations?
  15. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Might want to ask about NEX at the sister site (link top right of the page)
  16. db96

db96 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2012
    Central Indiana
    I come from a similar situation in my photography journey.
    I had a Canon Rebel that I intended to learn photography on, but couldn't justify the size/weight and went back to point and shoot for a long long time. When micro 4/3 came along, I knew that is what I was looking for.

I agree with the G5 route if you are looking to save some money. It is really a solid little camera with everything you need for a beginner. Yes, the primes are nice, but coming from p&s, they were an adjustment for me. The lens that kept me going in my basic photography learning was the Panasonic 14-140 f/4. It was really a good transition lens for me. (Get the f/4 version if price is the issue or the f/3.5 version if you have a little more to spend - much prefer the smaller size)
  17. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Well, here's my two cents. The Sony A6000 may be an outstanding body, and yes, the Sony system has some primes with very respectable IQ, although the selection is pretty thin compared to M43. Things are very different if you look at the zooms. They are almost universally weaker (sometimes painfully so) and much larger than their M43 counterparts.

What the A6000 brings to the table is a great ability to crop your pictures thanks to its 24Mp sensor (as long as you're using those lenses which can keep up with the sensor's high resolution, which are not many IMO), good action performance with its 11fps, and about 3/4 stops advantage in noise at very high ISO.

However, M43 bodies in its price range are quite competitive. Both the GX7 and EM10 are ahead in build with their metal bodies, both have IBIS, the GX7 has fantastic video (and the G6, which would be my body of choice at the moment, has everything you need for advanced videography).
  18. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    E-PM2 is the best bang for buck imo.

as excellent as the a6000 is I'd go straight for the zeiss zooms and primes.
  19. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Which is out of the OP's budget. If you're looking at the GH3, it's because you want top of the line video. I would suggest getting a E-M5 or E-M10 with a nice prime (take your pick of the 17/25/45) and get a refurbished 14-42 zoom (you can get them for about $100 USD).
  20. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    At the moment in the UK the G5 is probably the best VFM at only £249 with the kit zoom. You could add a new or SH 14-150 for less than the cost of an EM-10 with just the kit lens.

Even though I like Olympus the G5 has a reasonable sensor, EVF, flash and touch screen which makes it hard to ignore.

In the UK EPL-5 twin kits are almost the same cost as EPM-2 twin kits so I would go with this if you don't need an EVF.

Use whichever you pick a lot and then decide which one of the primes 14/17/20/25/45 to add later once you have worked out what best suits your style or when the zooms will not do what you want.

My wife uses a G3 14-42 and 45-175 and has not needed to raid my primes yet.