Before Updating to Firmware 2.0 on the E-M1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Clint, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    You may very well want to document you settings! Thanks to John Foster's biofos.com and Greg Bloor there is an Excel spreadsheet you can download to make this much simpler - save yourself as lot of time, effort, and maybe even a headache or two!
    http://www.biofos.com/mft/omd_em1_settings.html

• Like Like x 3
  2. Jonnieb

Jonnieb Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Jon Barnett
    I use this spread sheet, and it is an excellent help.

I see many complaining about the latest 2.0 firmware erasing the custom settings on the EM-1. Having had my camera repaired recently (rear control wheel), and then downloading the update, I have had to reset everything twice.

One advantage of this occasional resetting is it helps you to recall how you had the camera set up, and whether it's time to give it a few tweaks. While I have my preferences for the button and dial assignments pretty much worked out, I did change a few minor things during the latest setup process.

The EM-1 is so sophisticated (control wise) once set up that I find I rarely need to use the menu functions, preferring the SCP for most temporary changes. It's easy to forget just how customizable this camera is unless you are forced to descend into the menus. ;)