1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Before & After Aperture Presets 45-200

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Alanroseman, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Here are some examples of a preset I use when importing from the 45-200mm Panasonic Lens.

You could further adjust, especially the sharpness settings as needed. On the whole though this preset works well when shooting at long focal length especially for cutting haze.

I don't claim to be an expert on the use of Aperture, this does however show the dramatic difference that can be obtained with minimal effort.

All four examples are here: Aperture Presets 45-200 - Mu-43 Gallery

State House no Preset

State_House_Orig.

State House with Preset Applied

State_House_My_45-200_Pre.

Veterans Auditorium No Preset

Aud_Original.

Veterans Auditorium Preset Applied

Aud_My_45-200_Preset.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    I'd like to see more along these lines..

I'd enjoy seeing some of your before and after shots.

Do you apply a preset on import?

Are your presets in Aperture , LR, Photoshop etc?

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Very nice processing! I use LR, but while I set up the profiles, I find I can't use them. I find presets to be more useful for if you've taken 100 shots in the same conditions (i.e. a studio) with the same lens. That's rarely the case for me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. icase81

icase81 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 22, 2011
    Philly, PA
    Using Aperture. This was with the Oly 40-150.

Before:
    P3141398.
    After:

• Like Like x 4
  5. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hello WT21,

I've been banging away at Aperture. the presets are really simple to save and apply on:

Import
    During the Post process etc

You can save them all, apply them, remove them, add two together, export and import them. It is a very very simple process.

I'm sure LR must have most / many of the same feature.

I'd like to see more posts or threads relating to PP, and specific software. They seem to start and peter out, maybe there are only few interested parties?

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi iCase,

That's terrific. Do you save that setting and apply it only to the Oly 40-150?

Have you tried applying to the kit zoom for example?

Once I get one I like, I try it on all of my lenses. I find this one best for the 45-200 though, and way too much sharpening for the kit or 20mm

What others have you created?

Alan

7. sblehm

sblehm Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2010
    I have not yet created a custom preset, but I do often try the canned ones on my pics. Sometimes I leave it on, sometimes I revert.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi sblehm,

It'd be nice to keep this discussion going for a little while and see who checks in with their presets / adjustments etc. I'd expect Iconidustries to make an appearance here as well as I believe he's pretty adroit with this practice.

I actually got a pretty good start on the B&W from Kevin Paris whos very helpful, and knowledgeable. Icon may have sent me the first preset I experimented with..

Alan

9. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    Alan,

The best learning experience I have had for Aperture 3 was pro-photog Derrick Story's Aperture 3 training course at Lynda.com. You can join for a month for $25.00 and take as many courses as you have time for. The course starts a little slow and many of the things I already knew, but I did find myself picking at least one or two tips every segment even when I thought I knew the topic of the module already. I have enjoyed that site so much that I am still paying month to month and they have some great photography classes as well as other software/technology/discussions and topics available.

Another one I took and found helpful was Scott Bourne's 3 hour course at Creative Live.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Thanks john. Good info there...

11. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    big thanks to Alan for the namecheck... I am not a person for presets myself.. if I have a bunch of pics I get one right and then lift and stamp the adjustments to any other similar pics - but that is an Aperture thing... not sure if LR does the same

I am always looking at ways to make images look the way I feel is right

current adjustments I am experimenting with in Aperture include shifting the Black Point (and its colloray 'Recovery' which pulls back highlights) and using the intensity contrast quickbrush...... which you can apply like all quick brushes to the whole image.

the joy of the non destructive approach of Aperture and LR is that you can quickly try out a whole bunch adjustments and see what works best

At then end of the day all you can do is make your darkest pixel be as close to black as you can and the whitest pixel be the last one that makes sense before blowing out... All the other tonality comes from adjusting the curve between these points.

Regarding Aperture... the order that the adjustments appear in the Adjustment panel are not random.. they are a recipe, an order in which you you shoud be applying the adjustments

K

• Like Like x 1
  12. Unfortunately most of my 'presets' are just random thoughts rattling around inside my head and applied through two different softwares (Olympus Master 2 and Photoshop CS3) so I don't know if I can provide too much that many other people can directly apply. My process is usually the same though, even if the quantities differ;

Brightness and contrast
    Saturation
    Sharpening
    B&W conversion (if applicable), often with more brightness and contrast adjustments afterwards.

Things get a bit more muddied if there is graining, vignetting and diffuse glow thrown into the mix.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Ahhh, I have a few preset that I know in advance work nicely, when applied to a particular lens... But, I don't apply them on import. I go through my stack, find an image I enjoy, then apply the saved preset to it, I tune it up from that point and if I'm happy I go the lift and stamp route same as you.

I am at exactly the same place in my quest. There are a few adjustments there that leave me shaking my head. For now I'm ignoring them... perhaps not the best choice..

This is illuminating information... where Aperture gives one the ability to add adjustments to ones default list, I assumed it wasn't critical when each adjustment was applied... Hmmmmm.

Thanks Kevin. This is a subject that doesn't get enough attention here, IMHO.

Alan

14. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Alan

you will have noticed that you cant change the order of the adjustments in Aperture - and I believe this is absolutely deliberate and probably is a spin off from Shake, which was a high end image manipulation program for video work that used the idea of nodes and the concept of concatenation which is very mathematically geeky, but basically means that as all the adjustments are applied there is minimum loss of quality.

the order of the adjustments is the order in which the calculations will be done - so Crop appears near the top of the list - before any of the image adjusting adjustments - which makes sense as you dont want those adjustments working with pixels that wont be in the final picture.

You of course can apply the adjustments in any order you want - but the result will be from the fixed order that Aperture does the necessary calculations.

there is a brief explanation here

Peachpit: Color Correction in Shake 3 > Concatenation

I agree that there are several adjustments that seem to do the same thing - eg Levels and Curves - In my head they do the same thing except that curves offers finer control.

Back in the days when I taught photoshop I warned people never to use the brightness control because it was a bit of a sledgehammer as it adjusted all the pixels light and dark by the same amount resulting in blown highlights or clogged blacks - much better to use the curves to fix your black and white points and then use the curves to brighten the pixels you wish.

While we are talking about adjustments - just want to throw this one out here - You do all know that sharpening actually doesn't make you picture sharper - it just appears to be sharper. What happens with sharpening is that it increases the contrast between adjacent pixels to make it seem sharper to the eye.

Sharpening algorithms are very processor intensive, and have got increasingly sophisticated over the years. For example the Definition slider in Aperture is a form of sharpening where the contrast is increased in the midtones only

anyway all these things are my opinions and bits and bobs of information I have picked up over the years - feel free to discuss

Kevin

• Like Like x 2
  15. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Alright, so based on concatenation, there is actually a mathematically applied "safety net" which prevents one from going over the bridge via the route of radically applied adjustments being compounded... Clever.

Understanding the use of the built in safety net (concatenation) helps explain why one can not use an application like Aperture to easily obtain effects similar to Silver FX etc. In which case, the built in safety net, would be working against you. Yes?

Yes, and this has been apparent through many iterations of PS, CS-CS5, etc. et al. It does not appear that it will change anytime soon, as it's remains with us from the early days of image editing software. To my chagrin.

Your theory continues to be explained in much the same manner during classes at RISD among others...

Yes. This type of processor intensive algorithm is what drives the need for speed in the graphic industry. It's why clients notoriously "thrifty" such as newspapers, will spend money in the art department. It directly effects productivity.

It is also why there is no easy answer when one ask for a consult on which machine would be best for photography. As soon as you begin to answer, their eyes glaze over. Most any modern Mac, for example, will process images in Aperture, PS, CS, just fine. The question is going to be the length of time required to process them. This is the direct correlation between processor speed, RAM and time to process.. we can toss in BUS speed and the not to be ignored speed of the graphics card here as well.

With all of the above, one must also consider the ICC profile of all the devices in the chain, input and output, when color correcting.... it does go on ad nauseum. Still with all that said, one has no control of how the image will appear to those viewing it electronically. They may be viewing on a high end color balanced monitor, LCD, plasma, LED or even a $29.00 dell. It simply is not our choice, and remains out of our control.

The days when people viewed your image on the paper you selected, using the darkroom technique you selected, therefore seeing the image as you desired them to, are long behind us.

I really enjoy your level of knowledge and understanding of Aperture, and I'm very glad you decided to drop by this thread and deposit some of it.

hopefully this thread will be interesting enough to have others stop by and offer the opinions and expertise with other post processing applications as well.

Thanks Kevin.... nice job with the Shake reference.

Alan

16. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Well 10 years working in product marketing for Apple in Europe, at the time that all the 'pro' apps like Final Cut, Logic and Aperture were being introduced, did mean I had to get my head around a whole bunch of technologies - well at least enough to understand and communicate the benefits.

Add to that that I previously worked for Aldus for 5 years in the very early days of desktop publishing, and then spent another 7 years freelancing as a graphic designer, trainer, lecturer, demo artist and demo writer for people like Adobe and Macromedia, and you can see I do have some background in the space where art meets technology :)

I have no firm knowledge that any of Shakes DNA is in Aperture, but when Apple acquired Shake and a couple of other companies at around the same time they were obviously buying ito expertise not existing products.

Not sure I agree with your assertion that there are things in Silver FX that cant be achieved in Aperture alone - with the obvious exception of film grain. Otherwise I think what Silver FX offers is convenience and quick gratification...which is never a bad thing!

K

17. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    I think my intention there was more of a question than an assertion, though posed as a complete thought. A mistake on my part....a little too incomplete. I was simply wondering aloud if my summation was correct.

Perhaps you'd expound on the effects that can be obtained with Aperture settings that enable one to achieve results similar to apps like FX. You've my attention, and Barry (Icongraphics) will discover this thread soon enough..I think Nic is already here.

You're background is a wonderful mesh allowing comment on these matters from a very well informed position. It's great that your here and willing to take the time to share..

I too started my Apple support from the "Fat Mac' and Aldus days. The two products combined to forever change the way the world would receive the printed word. One wonders how many here are aware that Aldus was the birthmother of desktop publishing and design.

Always a frustration to me when companies such as Icon Graphics, Imagistics, Digifab, Design and Repeat..were slow to develop on the Mac platform.. the one from which they were born. All that seems to have changed now, fortunately.

looking forward to further illumination....

Alan

18. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    OK maybe I am setting myself up for a kicking ... but the conversation between myself and Alan raised the question on whether you can replicate a Silver fx look in Aperture and aperture alone

well I did a little experiment... and I present the results for the collective discussion.

here is the original photo - shot raw and unprocessed in aperture

S1182866.

here is the same image taken to silver FX 1... my trial silver fx 2 has run out :). I applied one of their presets and a film type which of course I have forgotten :)

S1182866_1_.

and here is one processed only in Aperture
    S1182866_1_-_Version_2.

As I originally said, the grain that silverFX adds is unique to SFX, but otherwise I think I got reasonably close in terms of tone and contrast.

One of the keys I found was that in Aperture you can set the curves separately for the red green and blue channels... which opens up some interesting options

I have saved my settings as a preset and will happily share them with fellow Aperture users to experiment with if you drop me an email

I am not claiming these results are the best that can be done... they represent less than 30 mins fiddling about tryng to work out how to make it work....but it is interesting... you really have to love non destructive editing.

K

• Like Like x 1
  19. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Kevin,

If anyone checks in on this post we'll see if discussion ensues.

I already use your prescribed 60-30-10 on the RGB in Aperture for my B&W conversions. I also bump the mid tones, which was a suggestion from Shooter.

I do think you've come reasonably close here for a quick effort.

Hopefully others will look on here.

Thanks again. I'm enjoying it!

Alan

20. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    hi

maybe we should get the admins to change the thread title to 'major punchup over aperture and silver fx ' :)

its been an interesting exercise for my brain... it jut goes to show that you can always learn... maybe mucking about with the separate RGB curves might be a better way to go than mucking about with the monochrome rgb sliders

cheers
    K