beer checked-in for a long haul flight?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by krugorg, Oct 6, 2013.

1. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Random question of the day: anyone tried stowing beer in their check-in bags for a long haul flight? I have meetings in Japan and would like to bring some gifts of local beer for my colleagues, stuff liked when they visited us here in Minnesota.

I was thinking that I have checked-in spirits/liquor and wine for long haul flights with success before, but I have never tried packing beer.

Any issue with carbonated stuff and freezing or pressure? Cans versus bottle difference?

Any feedback or locked up abroad stories would be appreciated! :th_salute:
  2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Managed to go from Europe to the US without problems. Main thing is to make sure the bottles are sealed well. Everything I brought back was pull-off, so not sure about the strength of twist-off caps. Make sure to pad around them, or your stuff may get a bit wet....
  3. -Dan-

-Dan- Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2013
    I do that all the time, primarily between Europe & US, both ways. Never have any issues. Just store the bottles a bit apart from each other so in case they shift they don't touch. Bag around and good
  4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I always consider beer too "cheap" to stow, when the kilos can be better filled with Whiskey on the way out, and cognac coming back (or whatever the location offers.)
    I'm talking about Britain to Russia myself.