1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Been relying on IS....

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Minniesmum, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    I started in Digital with IS. In my compact cams and in the DSLR bodies- the Sony A100 and 300. One of the many reasons I chose the Olympus Micro 4/3's system was for the IS built into the camera bodies as I intended to use my old SLR lenses ....

However, until recently dropping my E-PL3 and the IBIS becoming non-functional, I had no idea just HOW much I had been relying on it...:(
    Today I have been trying to shoot with the non- stabilised E-PL3 and am slowly learning how to control camera shake without it. Mostly through shutter speed and ISO settings. The obvious thing is to use a tripod more ....

The hardest part has been getting sharp images again with my Oly 45mm f1.8. Still not convinced that it also wasn't damaged in the drop, but with jacking up the shutter speed to > 1/350, I'm managing to get some decent images.
    In bright light , shooting wide open is ok as the shutter speed is high, but low light shooting wide open is going to be much more of a challenge with dropping the shutter speed-

Until I decide which cam body to replace the E-PL3 with, I'm having to learn how to shoot without the " crutch" of IS..... any tips gratefully received:thumbup:

Cath

2. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Reducing Camera Shake with Hand-Held Photos

The bracing and breathing definitely helps, with practice.

I try to stand with legs shoulder width apart, one foot slightly in front of the other.
    Camera held by grip with right hand, left hand under/around lens.
    Elbows tucked in to body, and camera up against face using the viewfinder.
    It's pretty stable this way, like a "body tripod"
    Don't jab at the shutter release button, final press at holding the breath after a half breath out.

3. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    This is how I do my night photos with the OM-D without the help of a tripod. Except I didn't realize it's better to final press the shutter button after a half breath out. :2thumbs:

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Having shot numerous weapons (I'm in the military), I use the standard shooting techniques to help minimize shake....Hope this helps!

5. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Thanks all ! I need to stop being so darn lazy Lol. Get back to basics.....:)

Cath

6. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    Luckily I was brought up on film and IS was not invented, so had no choice but to hold a camera still.

The rule of thumb then, was to match the shutter speed with the focal length of the lens, for example , 100mm lens = 1/100th sec

With doubling the focal length for m4/3 , a 45mm would need at least 1/90th sec , but if your technique is right, could go lower. Wide angle lenses are easier to hold at slow speeds

7. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    I was weaned on film....so yes can relate ! So far I've had to use a shutter speed of 1/320 minimum to get a decent sharpish image ... working on my technique Lol......

8. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    A related aside: has anyone found a way of raising the shutter speeds Oly cameras choose in A or P mode? Or setting a minimum value?

I prefer shooting in aperture priority but find the camera picks shutter speeds around 1/focal and it's not fast enough e.g. on the 20mm prime.

Case in point I lost a *load* of NYC St Patrick's day photos shot at about 1/30 in full (cloudy) daylight. Walking people shouldn't be faster than the camera's exposure algorithm! The only ones without motion blur were when I remembered to pan (a black art in-and-of-itself!)

Admitedly I can resolve this with technique and better observation or control - but I can't help feel the basic exposure algorithm relies on IS where it can't always help.

9. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    I often use M mode where I can fix both aperture and shutter speed. Yes in A mode the shutter speed wanders around aimlessly .P mode confuses me ! I guess then if you leave the ISO in auto the camera has some latitude for adjustment. I could be completely wrong of course...

10. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    You shot with aperture priority? I think that using shutter priority would've been better. I was there as well but I prefer manual since I didn't want to leave the thinking to the camera.

11. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    What metering are you using? I usually use spot metering, and have one button programmed for AEL, so I can lock and recompose if needed. Otherwise, I will use M. Most of this is due to using manual lenses, where I have to set aperture manually.

12. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    A dropped body - the perfect Alibi to get a new camera! :)

13. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    oh yes ! already paid for- a new to me E-P3 ;)

14. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Nice. Im sure u will love it. I DO.