1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Been away for too long, how to catch up?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Ritualnet, May 26, 2014.

1. Ritualnet

Ritualnet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    UK - West Midlands
    Seem
    I've been away from the M43 scene for a bit, and now it seems everything's moved on leaps and bounds. I'm wondering how to proceed, if it is worth keeping my 'old' bodies, and picking up new lenses, or ditching some of my equipment for a newer body.

My current collection is a G1, GF1 and PEN EP2 (with EVF). Lens wise, I have the two Panasonics (20mm pancake, 14-45mm kit lens) and the 14-42mm Olympus kit lens.
    (I also have a D40 and a Dynax 5d).

There are much better bodies out there, so is it worth keeping one of the bodies I have, or just ebaying the lot, and starting fresh? Are the lenses still decent, or is there better out there?

Sorry for the queries, now I'm working again, I've got more income, and I'm sick of just having my phone as a camera. It's not bad, but I miss out.

I eventually want to pick up a macro lens, either a superzoom or a regular tele zoom, and maybe something fun, like a bodycap lens.

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The bodies are still very capable, but there is better out there for sure. You won't get a lot for your bodies on Ebay, unfortunately. IMO you already have two of the best lenses for our system - Pana 20/1.7 and 14-45mm zoom.

What I would do: Sell all the bodies, sell the Oly 14-42 zoom, keep the other two lenses, buy an E-M10 and an Oly 45/1.8.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    The 20 and the 14-45 are nice lenses, so I would not replace them unless you want something different. Yes, there are other lenses that offer you other benefits, like a macro lens, but neither of these lenses under performs, and both have loyal followers. Yes, there are newer bodies, and they are offering better resolution, better DR, faster focusing, etc. If you need, or want, these features, then keep an eye out for what body or bodies appeal to you. Then again, there are folks that are perfectly happy with the bodies that you are currently using. Your needs, wants and budget play a big role in deciding how to move ahead, but I always suggest that an upgrades solve problems (unless you can just afford to upgrade without any budgetary concerns). Olympus seems to be running a few more specials on some slightly olfer bodies, but both companies are frequently trying to move stock, so be patient if you are looking to stretch your funds.

Welcome back,

--Ken

4. Ritualnet

Ritualnet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    UK - West Midlands
    Seem
    An update, trying to sell my Othery equipment but saw that currys has a deal on the g5 with kit lens, £190-ish. Seems a good body but does that offer £200 worth of upgrades on the g1 (or e p2)? If so I was going to pick up oly's zoom too.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Mu-43 mobile app

5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    The kit lens from the G5 won't bring anything to the table your current 14-45 doesn't do better. The body may be a nice upgrade, but skip the lens (resell?).

6. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I've got a G5 and it's a great camera, it is an improvement over the 12mp models. The kit lens is not as good as the 14-45 though I did manage to sell the kit lens on ebay for over £50. The deal at Currys is an absolute steal for this camera.

7. Ritualnet

Ritualnet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    UK - West Midlands
    Seem
    I traded in all but the 20mm for an em5 with 12-50mm. It is nice... but I do feel that the £650 trade in price could have netted me either a cheaper body. Paid 750 on total for this so had to add £100 on top. Was a toss up between this and the gx7, and while u liked how the gx7 felt, the shop guy kinda pushed towards the em5 and I'm a big pushover.

Now regretting it. Lost the best kit lens, this 13-50 had markings on the coating (it is new!) And I feel like I wasted a lot of money.

I was told I have 14 days return so might take it back. The gx7 was 599.

It is so easy to get wowed by high end gear, but I am not even a pro, I don't need £750 worth of camera!

8. Ritualnet

Ritualnet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    UK - West Midlands
    Seem
    Assuming they allow a full cash refund (london camera exchange), what is a nice cheap olympus body? I want to start carrying a camera to work instead of relying on my phone for shots so something small yet well built I can drop in my laptop bag would be perfect.

I was looking at a compact for everyday shots and m43 for all else but if I can merge into one that would save money!

9. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    Wow, that was a fast buyer's remorse.

For clarity, why did you regret your purchase? Was the EM5 not a good enough body? Do you like the GX7 features better? If your needs are strictly price, then return for the lower priced option. Sounds like the 12-50 is damaged, seller should replace it.

I agree with you, no need to spend lots of money. Lot of GX7's or EM5 bodies that are used/new at pretty good prices. You just need to take the time to shop around. Other members mentioned some good options, too.

10. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    E-M5, Pany 20, Pany 14-45 (see if you can get it back). The E-M5 is easily the most important micro 4/3 camera in terms of HUGE improvements and innovations to the format. Although a couple of years old now, IMHO it is still the camera to beat! A nice clean used E-M5 can be had for what amounts to a song these days! Good luck!

Cheers-

Wes

11. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    Sound advice, pretty much this ^

12. Ritualnet

Ritualnet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    UK - West Midlands
    Seem
    it is purely the price. the camera is nice and responsive, but at that cost it will hardly see use outside of travel. I would end up with a compact for everyday use!

I was thinking of an oly body... ep3 or pl5 or em2 and then go back to learning.

Maybe I am being a bit of an idiot. I just worry about spending the best part of 1k (ok well I traded in so it is free cash but still) on something I might be too scared to use.

13. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

The EM5 is a great camera. I bought one new from HDEW for £460 recently. I'm not sure why you're scared to use it? I use mine all the time and it's so small and built like a tank. While cameras like the EPM2 are smaller they're still not pocketable like a compact in my opinion.

14. Ritualnet

Ritualnet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    UK - West Midlands
    Seem
    £460 seems a great price! Mine was the "movie edition" but barring the macro I think everyone hates the 12-50mm.

I took it out on sun with my gf's aunt's dog and got some fun shots, its just the idea of tossing it in my backpack. Maybe if I pick up a second hand epm2 with kit for every day and em5 for others?

15. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

E-M5 is pretty tough. I use mine (purchased used) regularly and the wife and kids get their hands on it as well. We are pretty rough on gear. No problems so far. Recently got a second E-M5 for the wife & kids since they were cutting into my time.

16. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I've used my E-M5 almost daily for over two years not with no ill effects. I take care of my stuff, but I treat it as a user camera and don't baby it any more than I did my OM-1 in the old film days. I would not be afraid to use it. It is a very well made camera, with features that are still outstanding 2 years later. And you certainly don't have to spend big money to get one these days, what with two newer models in the OM-D line. It's my favorite digital camera, and it is no wimp in suffering the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. The E-PM2 two is a very nice camera, but nowhere near easy to change settings on.

As for the 12-50, it is not true everyone hates it except for the macro. It can be a very useful lens indeed, with a nice, wide 12 mm, terrific macro, and generally good performance overall. It is not the 12-60 ZD everyone seems to have expected it was going to be -- and it is less than half the price, a third at the prices it can be got for now. That said, I sold mine and got one of the pancake power zooms because a normal zoom (unless it is as fine as the 12-40) is only useful to me if it makes a small kit for daily knocking about.

17. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    Ritualnet... So there you have it. The jury is in. As you stated, the EM5 is nice and many here including myself do not baby our EM5. So you may feel uneasy about the price you paid for it, I get it... But don't try to return it for something less expensive in hopes your regrets would go away. You'll only add to your regrets buy returning a great Oly body. Use the heck out of it and you will see what we all of us love about it. And I find the 12-50 to be a great all purpose lens that can withstand the elements better than other lenses in its current price range.

18. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    Image thread for 12-50mm. OK, it's not a "pro" lens, but it's not crap. Plus, weather-sealed and quasi-macro.

I've been dragging my E-M5 around quite a bit these days. When I don't feel the need to carry extra lenses, I use either a neoprene wrap or a bag insert and carry it in a laptop bag. I'll admit that I can understand why Larry switched from the 12-50 to the 14-42 EZ pancake for an everyday carry-around camera.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ritualnet

Ritualnet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    UK - West Midlands
    Seem
    Just an update. Keeping the em5. It is a nice camera and even the stupidly large 12-50 lens is nice. I can see the benefit of having a second, smaller kit lens like the power zoom from Panny, but for now it is fine.

I came across an x20 new for £230 but resisted. My partner rightly said that I would end up carrying only one for convenience and if its the x20 then I wasted £750 on the em5.

I do see the benefit of a throw around body (ep1?) though.

On the lens front, they are hopefully changing the lens next weekend.

Usage... I just went out of work and shot a few things. Manual focus isn't great. 90% of the shots I saw as sharp whwn zoomed in are not. Also s-af seems to be... soft?

Probably how I am using it.