1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Beautiful Birds

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Iansky, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Managed to grab these images of some beautiful birds - used the GX1 + 45-175X lens and it has created some nice images with great bokeh.

Observation.

The_eyes.

Yellow_eyes.

• Like Like x 12
  2. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Beautiful shots! How did you get close ups at 175mm? I have trouble with 300mm

3. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    Very nice Ian!

4. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Wonderful pictures Ian!

5. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Thanks for the comments.

The birds were part of a birds of prey display and were tethered to prevent them flying away but they could move off stands and around a little, they were close enough to allow the lens to grab some close in images.
    I am getting a lot more comfortable with this lens and find the results are very satisfying with a nice bokeh - the internal zoom helps in ensuring lens size stays constant so making it easier to hold.

6. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    I am against such displays of animals, Ian, but must admit you have some great shots there !

C U,
    Rafael

7. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    can't disagree

Thanks Rafael,

While I can't disagree with you in principle on this, it was in Inner City London and it was interesting to hear some of the childrens comments & questions about the birds that made me very aware this was the first time they had seen anything like this.

The birds did appear to be very well looked after by the two in charge and they had room to move around off their perches and from what I heard had been initially rescued individually following injuries, or abandonment when chicks rather than captured.

There was also no cost involved as the purpose was educational rather than profit.

Despite all that, they were in magnificent condition and made good subjects for the camera.

8. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Woah baiby! :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Great shots!

Sometimes these birds are injured and being on display is the best life they will ever have. The NM game and fish had a hawk that had an injured wing and would never be able to fly but they used him to teach people about respecting wildlife. The kids loved him and he was very impressive.

10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    These are absolutely beautiful birds - and really fine photos as well! :thumbup:

11. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Thanks all,

I am finding that as my trust in the delivery from the 45-175Xlens gains momentum (when I got the GX1 it came with the 14-42X lens and my version was awful so had to return it to the shop where they admitted to having quite a few returns), I am starting to use it more and it has certainly delivered the goods with these.

I do intend to use it more and find it compliments my other lenses very well.

12. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    Great shots Ian!Nice colours!