Beares Beach, Bermagui

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
I am visiting my sister on the far South Coast of New South Wales (Australia) in the seaside town of Bermagui.

This is Beares Beach which is on the Southern side of the town. I went to shoot the rock pool but it was closed for construction work. They are probably building another changing room to be swept away in a storm. Beares beach is the closest spot of accessable water.

This series starts from before sunrise and goes to, well - after sunrise!

All shots taken with an Olympus E-P1 and Olympus M.Zuiko 9-18mm zoom and not a single HDR to be seen here.

For your enjoyment, accolades and feedback welcome.

5095536617_39e3fcfdc5_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Beares Beach, Bermagui 1 by peterb666, on Flickr

5096134488_fbaed625ed_b.jpg

Beares Beach, Bermagui 2 by peterb666, on Flickr

5095537089_033f0ac006_b.jpg

5096134980_c06841b726_b.jpg

Beares Beach, Bermagui 4 by peterb666, on Flickr

JoepLX3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Very nice, I would love to see this beautiful nature myself and even more show it to my children.
- Thanks for sharing this with us, but I want to hear the waves, feel the wind, small the salt, etc, etc...

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Enjoyment and accolades galore from me! Such impressive natural color and light!

Peter, it seems as though you may have edited one of your photos because the last one is no longer showing up via Flicker.

I just checked and seems to be working fine. I did replace images #1 and #4 as the horizons had a bit of a lean to them. Having a lot of problems with working with my laptop while travelling and very intermittent and absoultely unreliable mobile Internet connections in Rural Australia. Got another beach to shoot at dawn and I havent finished processing (now) yesterday's. Will return to the forum when I can.

Cheers

PeterB666

Hansaplast26

Mu-43 Rookie
Great shots. did you use a tripod or was it still light enough? Nr 3 is my favorite, but I like nr 2 also a lot. Unfortunate is the lens flare in nr 2.

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Great shots. did you use a tripod or was it still light enough?

All shots were taken with a tripod. The last 2 could have been hand-held but as I was perched on a sloping rock and there was water within a metre of me, it was one less think to worry about when trying to keep my balance.

Nr 3 is my favorite, but I like nr 2 also a lot. Unfortunate is the lens flare in nr 2.

Thanks for the first bit (and the second bit).

While I noticed it, you are the first to mention the lens flare (I have posted these shots on about 4 forums). When I develop my photoshop skills a bit better, I should be able to patch up the light bits on the rocks with flare.

Cheers

Peter

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
I like number 3 : with the spume of spray.
No exif though :( What shutter speed?
(Number 4 is missing for me too : Opera Browser)

1/50th and 1/30th second respectively. The EXIF data is being clobbered by Picasa when I resize the images before uploading. Unfortunately, I find Picasa the most convenient tool for taking the 'final' files and preparing smaller versions for upload to the Internet.

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
The west coast may have lovely sandy swimming beaches but the east coast has more of interest to a photographer - well done again.

I don't know about that. I was born in Perth but left before I turned 8 (and that was a very long time ago). I would have thought that places like Rottnest Island, Margret River and heaps of places North and South would be of interest. You have some beautiful white sand beaches and I know of only one spot where such a think exists over here. There are plenty of dull bits on the East Coast too, but do note that I am over 400km from home.

I have great difficulty getting a sunset over water and you don't have to get up at an ungodly hour to get some colour in the sky over water. Win some and lose some.

Cheers

Peter

Hansaplast26

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks for the first bit (and the second bit).

While I noticed it, you are the first to mention the lens flare (I have posted these shots on about 4 forums). When I develop my photoshop skills a bit better, I should be able to patch up the light bits on the rocks with flare.

Cheers

Peter

Actually giving it a third, fourth and fifth time for my eyes to get over it, it could also be the water spray, reflecting the sunlight. it is very hard to tell. maybe the original version gives more clarity on that?
I myself always struggle with Jpeg compression, as it is not lossless and you start to see artifacts.

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Actually giving it a third, fourth and fifth time for my eyes to get over it, it could also be the water spray, reflecting the sunlight. it is very hard to tell. maybe the original version gives more clarity on that?
I myself always struggle with Jpeg compression, as it is not lossless and you start to see artifacts.

There definitely is some flare in there but it isn't from the lens but the filters. I use Cokin style filters and these are uncoated. Furthermore, the front filter will pick up the sea spray mist and needs to be cleaned continually. When shooting directly into the sun, it is rare that you can have a filter clean enough. One disadvantage of a MFT camera is the smaller diameter of the lenses emphasises any dirt or smudges on a filter as it is correspondingly larger compared to, say a full frame-camera and further more, closer to being in focus due to the increased depth of field of the lenses.

That said, there are patched of light and dark on these weathered volcanic rocks which is why most people would not notice it. If I were doing large sized prints, I would probably do some dodging to reduced the appearance of the patches.

I do as much processing in RAW, then convert to TIFF with zero compression to do anything I cannot do in RAW. Only the last stage involves a conversion to JPEG for preparation for uploading to the Internet for which I use Picasa. There the image may get a little hit of colour correction and sharpness to give it a bit more zing on the net before resizing. It isn't saved in this stage until exported (i.e. resized). If I ever have to save a JPEG at any other time, it always gets zero compression (or the highest quality setting if the software has no 'zero' compression).

Latest threads

Top Bottom