Beach experiments in dramatic tone

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Kaze, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Kaze

Kaze Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2011

Am new to the forum and new to micro 4/3 having just got myself an E-PL2 with the 14-42mm Mk II and have been experimenting with the dramatic tone art filter on the beach this evening. Comment/tips welcome...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  2. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Other than your horizon not being level, very nice series of images.
  3. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Ooooooh me likey!

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App
  4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Welcome to the forum. I like 3 & 4 the best. Both are very nice compositions and the filter does indeed add a dramatic effect. They seem to lack some sharpness when I view them large, though. On purpose, or maybe something to do with resizing them for the web? comment.
  5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I like 'em. What camera, lens and setting please. In camera or in post?
  6. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Great shots, although I feel the watermarks really distract from the image.
  7. Kaze

Kaze Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback, appreciated.

Spot on about the horizon, it's catching me out quite a bit, I had an FZ8 before that had a useful grid option for the screen, I'll have to see if the Pen has got a similar option, failing that I'll just need to sharpen my eye. I'll play about with editing to see if I can straighten them up.

The photographs were all hand held in fading light, so sharpness issues are probably a combination of camera shake/narrow depth of field.

Camera for all shots was set to aperture priority with the dramatic tone art filter, individual settings for each image were:

1. 14mm 1/80 sec, F3.5 +1.3EV
    2. 14mm 1/60 sec, F3.5 +1.3EV
    3. 14mm 1/80 sec, F3.5 +1.3EV
    4. 39mm 1/20 sec, F5.4 +1.3EV

Personally I love the dramatic tone effect, gimmicky it may be but I like it and it was one of the reasons I went for the Pen rather than the GF2.

Fair comments about the watermark.
  8. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    These just make me hate that filter even more than I already do....sorry... :rolleyes:

The only decent way to use this is to take a normal JPEG, convert to dramatic tone in Viewer 2, then blend with the original - the OOC is totally OTT IMHO (too many acronyms in that last sentence?) :smile:
  9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    This is a good tip. I recently started doing this my HDR shots since I tend to push them too far. I layer the middle exposure over the top and then just play with the opacity slider until it looks right.

Still, I like 'em. But I'm usually OK with strong processing if it suits the subject matter.
  10. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I have mixed feelings about the filter. When I first got an EP3 in July, it was the first exposure I had to it and I quite liked it and quite enjoyed using it. But after just a couple of weeks I got really tired of it - I still liked the basic look it was going for but its combination of really blackening anything in a shadow, blown highlights, and the sort of smear-y look it gives got really old to me. So I started playing around going for a similar feel in Color Efex Pro (without much luck) and then Silver Efex Pro (with a fair amount). Its not too different but gives a lot more control over the details. If interested, you can check some beach shots treated that way in this post - the third shot and below.

I still sometimes shoot with the Dramatic Tone filter in a two shot bracket with a clean jpeg or, now, raw, and one dramatic tone shot. I actually like the dramatic tone treatment as a front end for some B&W conversions. A lot of shots I'll still work out in Silver Efex Pro, but I have a standard conversion pre-set for working with the Dramatic Tone shots and I like it well enough a lot more often than I'd expect...

11. Kaze

Kaze Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2011
    Thanks folks, appreciate the honesty and the pointers. Can quite understand how the novelty of the dramatic tone can wear off but it'll be fun to play with for a while. I've had a play-about with photo editing in Viewer 2 & Elements but it's taking me a while to get to grips with these.

Ray, love your shot, thanks for posting it, & the explanation, gives me a good sense of what can be achieved