Beach Camera?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by SteveNunez, Dec 14, 2010.

1. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Anyone use Beach Camera, either store or eBay ordering?
    How did the transaction go- positive or negative?

I ordered a camera lens and was shipped the wrong lens and as such I now have to go thru the return process......very dissatisfied transaction.
    I've been told I would be sent out the correct lens as soon as they receive my return.

I think I'll stick to B&H, they have their act together and don't seem to suffer these errors that cause inconveniences.
    Has anyone had positive dealings with Beach Camera?

2. wyip

wyip Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    I bought a UV filter from them through their Amazon storefront because the price was right. No issues during that transaction, but I agree I think I'd prefer to stick to B&H or buying direct from Amazon.com.

3. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    I purchased the Rokinon 85mm f1.4 lens that has been garnering allot of interest on websites because of it's performance and value. I took a chance and ordered from Beach Camera and of course the very 1st order was a problem. I received a Rokinon 8mm f3.5 Fisheye lens???.....I can't begin to describe the frustration with standing in line at a NYC Post Office as well as no areas for parking (and quick tow-aways & fines)....the return is a complete nightmare- even more-so during the Christmas shipping season. This was a complete error on their part and of course we the consumer have to "pay" for their error. I will have to wait for it to arrive to them and go thru the "Returns" process before getting shipped the correct lens I paid for. I wont be ordering from them again!

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I've heard a lot of bad things about bait-and-switch and selling used/refurb/grey market items as new.

5. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    I thought I recall "Beach Camera" being one of those "Brooklyn" shops that had that reputation. It is entirely possible they are doing things differently and have improved or still up to the old tactics.
    In their defense, they've emailed me a RMA form for FedEx at their cost and they have responded to eBay e-mails- so I don't think I'll get burned (Paypal helps there!)

With todays "Information Superhwy" being what it is and internet shoppers being much more savvy than just a few years ago- for a business to stay in business it HAS to offer good service- or it will fail.....word of mouth via internet forums and reputation counts for allot these days..........the days of "scam shops" are all but gone!
    Good luck to Beach Camera- I truly hope they are a reputable camera option- as there are so few left!

6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The Beach Camera I know is in NJ

I have purchased things from them in person with no issues. It's the kind of shop you go to buy if the price is right but not for advice. They are kinda like a small electronics store than a camera shop.

btw... BH and Adorama have both made mistakes on orders too.... no business is perfect.. especially high volume stores. I have to admit, 80% of what I buy new are purchased locally

7. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Yes in NJ, looks like they've gotten much better (reputation wise)...they just screwed up my order- my luck as usual.

8. relic

relic Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 21, 2010
    I've bought a couple of things from them by mail (from their website) and everything went smoothly.

9. Burkey

Burkey Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2010
    Northern New England
    I've purchased from them directly a number of times. No problems, good service.
    . . . Burkey

10. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I've ordered from their website and from ebay and I've never had a problem.

11. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I'd say Beach is OK, but customer service not on par with B&H or Adorama. I just recently ordered a small camera bag, which arrived kind of dirty and used looking. They are taking it back, but not before 3 or 4 emails over 7 or 8 days. Should have been resolved quickly and immediately.

12. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Beach Camera is the absolute worst- they've now sent me an e-mail stating they've received the returned lens but classified the transaction as a "refund."
    I have not received the refund as of yet- which is always immediate with Paypal. They have the lens and because it's after Friday evening they wont be open til Monday: so I have no refund as of yet- and instead of shipping me the correct lens they've cancelled the transaction and I'm left w/o any lens.
    All they keep doing is sending me e-mails stating they're sorry!!!
    Based on my transaction with them- I will NEVER buy from Beach camera!
    They've completely botched-up this order------- never again!

13. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Well I have some very pleasing news to share regarding this situation. Maurice from Beach Camera called me personally today to discuss the negative experience I've had with this order and has made the necessary corrections to resolve the order. He has volunteered to ship the lens "express" via FedEx and says the lens should be in my hands in a day or two.
    I am of course happy to report I've received an e-mail confirmation regarding a tracking number for the FedEx shipment.

I explained the number or errors that occurred with the order and he seemed genuinely concerned that they correct the situation and resolve it with a pleasing outcome. I am confident that I should be receiving the lens shortly.
    I thank everyone for their views either-way and wanted to inform the forum of the response from Beach camera....a great final outcome.

14. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Glad to hear they've resolved it well in the end. I've bought from them on several occasions and always had a positive experience.

I've also found that when you are talking about things which cost several hundred dollars, it is best to pick up the phone. Email is a one way communication, and something will always be forgotten and require follow up - since they are a business, a timely response can take a day or two; 3-4 emails then take a week!

I bought a Pentax K-5 from provantage.com at the end of October. If you haven't read/heard about it, they had a production issue which resulted in visible stains on the camera sensor. I only found out after my 30 day return window and thought I would be resigned to having to send it in for service. Since we are going to Italy in 2 days (2 weeks at the time), that would have had to wait. I tried giving provantage and Pentax a call, and after a total of 5 phone calls I received a brand new K5 with a nice and clean sensor in less than a week. Phone calls help!

15. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    While I do believe phone calls can be helpful, in this case I believe my posts on a few forums caught their attention. In this economy "bad press" or posted "negative experiences" count for allot towards a retailers potential future customer base. It's to a retailers advantage to "resolve' issues they have with outspoken people who have posted negative experiences. In my case Maurice specifically asked that I "tell the world" of my positive experience of which I agreed to do so because of their willingness to remedy the situation. So I agree phone calls help but I don't underestimate the "power of the information superhighway" and it's effects on businesses.
    Thank you all for the comments, very much appreciated.