Be grateful for what you have... (or how to kill GAS)

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Chrisnmn, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I personally love this forum and been hanging around here for more than a year now, and love it. I have learn tons and shared tons as well.

But lately ive seen somehow how this amazing forum is turning into more "finding deals" and asking "what else i need" than just sharing our pics and our photography (which thats what cameras are for, right? to take photos of our lives not just brick walls and charts)... and today while reading my daily feeds found this post from Eric Kim that i found quite interesting with some food for thought. And i wanted to share it with y'all...

How to Be Grateful For What You Have — Eric Kim Street Photography

now get out and shoot and bring some nice images to share with us!. :drinks:

2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Interesting read. Thanks for sharing! It's certainly easier said than done though!

I do find it a little funny that someone who owns a Leica talks about despising luxury!

3. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Ha ha! I'm not sure WHERE I fall in this. I've moved "down market" in cameras, but I've gone for better lenses... maybe I'm just moving my "Hedonic Treadmill" into another room...

In all seriousness, I'm shooting a G1 this weekend and finding while I'm testing it that it is still a darn good little camera -- and a body can be had for $150 or less.

It's all, as you say, food for thought.

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've gotten out of Micro Four-Thirds completely. Love the system, but I decided to go with the Nikon 1 system, because it was a lot cheaper for me. I got 2 bodies, 2 lenses and a Nikon FT-1 adapter for about the price of a new OM-D. I already have existing Nikon lenses so overall it made more economical sense.

5. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I have to admit I mocked the Nikon 1 system when it was released -- but I think it might survive if Nikon doesn't continue to overprice it, lol.

Right now the first generation cams are an incredible bargain. They have the best focus capabilities of any of the small cameras.

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The V1 bodies are an awesome deal right now. I'm very satisfied with my kit. As a stand alone system, I think M43 is #1, but as a companion/auxiliary system to my Nikon DSLRs, the V1 works very well!

7. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

I bought a second-hand GF1 a year ago, to "try out" M43, and a used LX-5 to
    hang on my belt as a "carry everywhere" camera. Now that I've gone through an exhausting round of buying and selling lenses and bags and stuff, looking for just the "right" stuff, I realized that I wasn't making any better pictures. More to the contrary.

So now, I tell myself, every day if I have to, that I don't really "need" another lens or a newer camera. I NEED to develop competence, if not mastery, over what I already have.

Oh ... and I have sold off all of my Nikon DSLR gear.

8. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I've promised myself that I won't buy another lens unless I sell an existing one. Same goes for cameras.

Since I'm very happy with my current kit, the only thing that might happen is that someone comes out with a 9-10mm rectilinear prime. Then the 9-18 has to go!

All my DSLR kit - body, four lenses, tripod and ballhead has gone and been replaced with M43 gear.

9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Obviously we deal with the two-headed monster of photography and gear. Gear tends to dominate here. One big reason for that imo is that we are more honest about gear. This is not a place for serious critiques of photos. Most members are too nice and polite. Not a bad thing, just reality as I see it.

There are also so many great new cameras, and amazing bargains that are just a generation or two "old", right now that I think it is natural for many people to be a little stuck in the "exploring gear" mode. Not a terrible thing, and I find that "playing" around with new cameras makes me consider technique more and what is critical for what I shoot. So maybe it is a sort-of training experience.

10. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego

11. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I have gone from Full frame DSLR to Mu43 so reverse gas!!

I have never been one to chase the latest cameras and it has taken me a long time to let the D700 go and get the OMD, a lot of this has to do with me waiting to see what others think from long term use of the camera and it was a friend of mine (also an ex PJ) who has an OMD and produces stunning images with it that convinced me to try it and see what I thought............well I was convinced and did the deed!

GAS is good as it allows a good turn around of used equipment and as such growth of popularity in the format, this encourages the manufacturers to produce better cameras/lenses and if we look at Mu43 now compared with even a year ago, there have been some major leaps in quality/performance.

So to all those teetering on the edge, come on in the water is lovely!

12. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Gas can be quite painful if you are not fully confident with your gear. For me, it took some swapping lenses and bodies to understand what I really wanted and needed. But despite that I still have to be careful of my mind when it comes to gas. Creativity loves constraints.

13. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    "Comparison is the thief of joy." - T.R.

I'm getting back into shooting and I was thinking about doing a full gear refresh from my LX5 & G2. Then I realized that I could not remember ever getting a shot with these that would have been great if I had used "better" gear. The images I love, I love for the composition or the content, not the view at 100% zoom.

That's not to say that my gear has no limits. Nothing focuses like a Canon 1D with a 70-200 f/2.8 - but nothing else weighs that much. I don't shoot sports as a regular thing, so I learned to live without that. I still manage to get images I really like.

Photography requires gear, so it is natural to be intrigued by what's new. I was going through some images I took in 2002 - when you shot ISO 100 and liked it :). The cameras today are so amazing in comparison, that I can't convince myself that I need any better image quality than what I have now. OTOH, focus peaking and using my tablet as a remote make the G6 very interesting. :smile:

If somebody wants the latest, greatest thing - good for them. As long at they don't block my shot, I'm not that concerned with what other photographers do.

14. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Wonderful quote, cheers! :thumbup:

15. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Also enjoyed the analogy of the college student and his beater point a-to-b car moving up to a nice new 3 Series! That is like going from a refurbished e-pm1 to about a d800.

16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It's a good article (and the opening image is hysterical). I've tried lately to always consider carefully why I'm updating. The E-M5 is tempting every time I see some motion blur on the E-PL5, but I realize the E-PL5 is more than enough camera for me. My biggest current temptation is the OLy 60. I am very fond of macro, and I ordered some of the cheap extension tubes from Amazon for the 45. We'll see if I can hold out.

17. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Great article!

There is only one section that I have a major disagreement. "3. Despise Luxury". All the points are internalized reflections on how you see yourself in the mirror... Except #3. Despising luxury is a very externalized reaction to others' possessions around you. Luxury is a very abstract thing highly dependent and varying from person to person. Half of my family in the Philippines lives in a poorer section of the country. When I visited more than 10 years ago, my cousins marveled at a picture of my 1974 plymouth car. By all intentions, it was a junker. I bought it for $100 bucks and got it running myself (I was proud of it despite most in my neighborhood driving new). From my cousins point of view, it ran, it had A/C, it had enough room for 6, it was LUXURY. Little did they know, that without it.. no school.. no work. Most of us don't consider micro 4/3rds as a luxury... I know many that would beg to differ.

You can also buy ALOT of cheap things and end up spending more than the next fellow buying just one luxury item.

In personal finance, I live my one personal rule. Buy many cheap things, buy a few expensive things... NEVER buy many expensive things. I see no problems with enjoying your hard earn cash on things that some may consider a luxury... after all, you should be allowed to enjoy the fruits of your labor. One thing that keeps me in check.. always buy cash. If its too painful to let go of those greenbacks, then its too expensive.

18. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    That's a pearl of wisdom right there. :thumbup:

19. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I personally live by a similar rule. I am a quasi-saver, and my wife is really a saver. My own version is that if I can't pay for it right away, I don't buy it (excepting car and house). Don't always pay cash, but make sure there is enough money to instantly pay off the credit card (plastic cash).

20. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Appreciate it. It is a little like my first grade teacher telling me to eat the sardines my mother had mistakenly put in my lunch because, "there are children in China who would love to have those sardines."

It's still hard to be grateful for sardines when I'm lusting for peanut butter and jelly.:biggrin: