Be careful storing your Nocticron - barrel scratching

tomO2013

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Ok, I'd like to preface this by saying that :
1. I am generally very OCD about keeping my equipment in the same condition that I bought it. Cameras, cars, laptops, lenses; I like to treat them all with respect.
2. Since buying the Nocticron I have stored it in its pouch with the reversable lens hood mounted and screwed on in reverse (not overly tightened or so I thought).
3. The Nocticron has been kept stored in a LowePro Video 250W backpack in a padded compartment all to itself in the back of my ward-robe. Like I say I try and take care of my stuff.

I took the Nocticron out at the weekend only to discover that there are now little scuff/markings around where the lens hood mounts to the barrel. Perhaps I over tightened the screw when storing the hood in reverse and putting it in the pouch. Perhaps while my backpack was in the boot of my car and I went over a bump or something it caused something else to push up against the bag etc... Whatever and however it happened, the lens has a slight but noticeable scuffing there now that wasn't there a few weeks back. I'm not really a happy camper!

It doesn't affect the optics and other than the markings around the top of the lens barrel, the lens is prestine. Those of you here that I have spent 1600 dollars on this lens will probably not be very happy to find little scuffs on it a few weeks later! So make sure you don't make the same mistake that I made by over-tightening or storing the lens hood in reverse :/

My advice, store screw type lens hoods separately. Kinda obvious in hind sight.

tosvus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yeah that is obviously bad for retail value, though I don't think I could ever part with it,in which case it doesn't matter as much. That said all my lenses so far are pristinely kept and I prefer to keep it that way.

tomO2013

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've noticed that the corner of where the metal ring in the lens hood stops is quite sharp. I can see how this would happen. Maybe best to put a little tape over this if you are mounting this normally.

Just my 0.02 though :)

--T.

tjdean01

Mu-43 Top Veteran
When I first started getting into m4/3s and saw the hood they make for the 75 I kind of thought the same thing might happen. Not a very good design!

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
I honestly do not care for that style of hood due to similar scratching. Better off getting a slightly shorter metal screw-on hood and just leave it on like that.

rogergu

Mu-43 Regular
I do not like this type of hood design either, same to Olympus. Metal hood always scratches the lens barrel, although you may not notice.

lightmonkey

Mu-43 Veteran
Olympus has a great hood for the 12-40 pro. Even the 25 is nice (and is free!)

Don't understand purpose for making the screw-held hoods !!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom