1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Be careful storing your Nocticron - barrel scratching

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tomO2013, May 7, 2014.

1. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Ok, I'd like to preface this by saying that :
    1. I am generally very OCD about keeping my equipment in the same condition that I bought it. Cameras, cars, laptops, lenses; I like to treat them all with respect.
    2. Since buying the Nocticron I have stored it in its pouch with the reversable lens hood mounted and screwed on in reverse (not overly tightened or so I thought).
    3. The Nocticron has been kept stored in a LowePro Video 250W backpack in a padded compartment all to itself in the back of my ward-robe. Like I say I try and take care of my stuff.

I took the Nocticron out at the weekend only to discover that there are now little scuff/markings around where the lens hood mounts to the barrel. Perhaps I over tightened the screw when storing the hood in reverse and putting it in the pouch. Perhaps while my backpack was in the boot of my car and I went over a bump or something it caused something else to push up against the bag etc... Whatever and however it happened, the lens has a slight but noticeable scuffing there now that wasn't there a few weeks back. I'm not really a happy camper!

It doesn't affect the optics and other than the markings around the top of the lens barrel, the lens is prestine. Those of you here that I have spent 1600 dollars on this lens will probably not be very happy to find little scuffs on it a few weeks later! So make sure you don't make the same mistake that I made by over-tightening or storing the lens hood in reverse :/

My advice, store screw type lens hoods separately. Kinda obvious in hind sight.

• Like Like x 2
  2. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Yeah that is obviously bad for retail value, though I don't think I could ever part with it,in which case it doesn't matter as much. That said all my lenses so far are pristinely kept and I prefer to keep it that way.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 28, 2013
    I've noticed that the corner of where the metal ring in the lens hood stops is quite sharp. I can see how this would happen. Maybe best to put a little tape over this if you are mounting this normally.

Just my 0.02 though :) 

--T.

4. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    When I first started getting into m4/3s and saw the hood they make for the 75 I kind of thought the same thing might happen. Not a very good design!

5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    I honestly do not care for that style of hood due to similar scratching. Better off getting a slightly shorter metal screw-on hood and just leave it on like that.

6. rogergu

rogergu Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    I do not like this type of hood design either, same to Olympus. Metal hood always scratches the lens barrel, although you may not notice.

7. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    Olympus has a great hood for the 12-40 pro. Even the 25 is nice (and is free!)

Don't understand purpose for making the screw-held hoods !!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.