1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

BCL-15 on G5

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by JoeV, Mar 4, 2013.

1. JoeV

JoeV Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Joe Van Cleave
    I recently acquired an Olympus 15mm body cap lens, fitted it onto my G5 and went out on a photo stroll.

Several observations. First, using the G5's electronic shutter mode, this combination is entirely silent and shutter response is as quick as it can get.

Second, using the detent hyper-focal position on the lens, subjects from about a meter out to infinity are in reasonable focus, meaning that for normal distances the camera is essentially focus-free.

Third, using the G5's focus-zoom feature (a press of the selector knob) gives you magnified view in the EVF, very handy for close-in focusing, which the lens does down to less than a foot.

Fourth, is video. The BCL-15 is entirely silent when in operation, and its wide DOF means no fiddling while recording. No focus noise in the mike, and better battery life. On the G5, you can use manual focus, non-coupled lenses in many of the scene modes while recording video, meaning that the Toy Camera Mode becomes possible with video using the BCL-15. Very cool.

Here's a link to my blog, where I discuss this combination.

~Joe

8528423594_bbbe9677d8_c.

• Like Like x 3