1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

BBC News Using Lumix for broadcast video?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by coffeecat, Oct 29, 2013.

1. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    Hi all,

there's a short video on the BBC news today, here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24712136
    (...not sure if this'll play outside the UK? might be preceded by an advert)

The story is about how they have started using "Hexacopters" for shooting broadcast video for the BBC News team.
    The web-linked video is short and fairly low res, but at about 42 seconds in, they briefly show the camera.
    I freeze-framed it. I can't identify it, but I'm sure it is definitely a Micro-Four-Thirds camera.

So, let's all play "identify the mystery camera and lens"... :wink:

You can clearly see the word "Lumix" on the front, and the little gold "L" logo.
    The lens looks a bit like the P20, but I'm not confident of that.

Anyway, I know this is video rather than stills, but it adds a whole new dimension to the "Do Pros use m43" argument"! :smile:

Happy Tuesday,

Rob

2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have seen a different article over the last many months that showed BBC using GH's.

3. coffeecat

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    Ah, OK, that's interesting.

On second thoughts, I'm thinking the lens would not be the P20, because presumably you'd want something with OIS in it. Maybe a pancake zoom?

I guess the m43 kit gives high quality video in a package that is small and light.

I know (from my day job) that when you want to fly stuff, especially VTOL, it needs to be low weight above all else.

Rob

4. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    It's the 14mm f/2.5 lens, two things that makes me suspect this and by comparing the P20 with a P14. Have a look by the lens release button, it has what I think is a serial no. on the lens, only the P14 have this, not the P20. Also the P20 version 1 only comes in silver and black, the P14 come either as silver & black and all black. The lens on that camera looks all black.
    I have seen somewhere that the Top Gear team also uses these. with the GH2.

5. coffeecat

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    Interesting! The 14mm f/2.5 lens would make sense I guess - that wide angle FOV / large DOF, shooting from a hundred feet in the air, might not really need OIS. And from an aeronautical standpoint, it must be the lightest m43 lens in existence!

And I do vaguely remember an episode of Top Gear (in Africa maybe?) where they used a hexacopter or somesuch device.

6. coffeecat

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    Funnily enough, I've just watched the actual story where they used this kit, on the News at Ten!