1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Battery version ridiculousness?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Linh, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Anyone else feel panasonic has gone a bit overboard on all the different batteries for their m43 cameras?

DMW-BLB13
    DMW-BLB13PP
    DMW-BLD10
    DMW-BLE9

It's been what, 2 years or so of m43? I guess I'm spoiled by my canon side.. I've used the BP511 series for my 20D/40D/5D for so long.

Granted, I have a feeling not many people using m43 need to do battery sharing. Just would have been nice to have my GF1 and G3 share a battery, heh.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Mu-43 Regular

Are the first two, not the same battery?

Also their are two type of body style for the 4/3 camera`s an dslr style with an large grip, and the smaller more compact version, a larger battery for the dslr style version as there is more room for it.

That`s my guess anyway.

John.

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I am with ya on this one. We have 3 Panasonic point-and-shoots, all within 1 year release of each other, and each with its own, unique charger and battery.

4. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    +1. My G1 and GH2 need two different batteries, both of them ridiculously expensive. :mad:

5. Tinderbox (UK)

You right the oem battery`s are very expensive, luckily i found compatible battery for my G2, same as G1 i think for only £8.69 delivered and it works great, and it`s from a reputable uk company.

If anybody in the UK wants one see the link below, I have nothing to do with the company just a happy customer :)

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_3&products_id=108871

6. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Yes, this multiple battery types makes a nightmare for the consumer/user, but this has historically been the practice of several camera manufacturers. Nikon used to do this in their cameras, flashes, grips, remotes and routinely. This is one of those prices we pay as long as we buy every new thing on the market.

Regards,
    Tom

7. alessandro

alessandro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    question: is the charger different too?

8. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    Ditto
    I'll vouch for the battery and the shop

9. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Alessandro,

I have used several third party batteries and a couple of different chargers with my GH2. I decided to stay with the Panasonic batteries because I did not care to risk the warranty and I want a coded battery feature. I had no problems with any of the battery chargers, Panasonic or third party, but these are not very sophisticated chargers. I settled on 4 batteries and 2 chargers, all made by Panasonic.

In my opinion the battery life of my batteries is quite good and adequate, but I do not shoot any videos, just Large RAW + JPEG still images. Yes, others have other opinions and some folks care a whole lot about the last penny or pound while I am at an age where I prefer to concentrate my time on consistent hardware that I operate rather than it operate me and on spending my time taking photos rather than being a gear jockey.

Best regards,
    Tom

10. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I think it's a scam, personally.

And if you're debating between an Oly and Panny product, the extra cost of an extra battery can easily make the Panasonic $40 more expensive, or more. You can get extra generic Olympus batteries for <$10.

11. GF-1 & G2 use the same battery. Have tried couple other nonOME batteries in the pre-mu43 days. All have died way before the ome batteries. Have one aftermarket battery for the G cameras. 1st battery was a dud. The replacement works fine. Time will tell if the aftermarket battery will last. Extra Pany batteries purchased were running for ~$26 at Amazon. Aftermarket was not much cheaper.

With the smaller grip size on the GF-2 & G3 comes a need for a smaller battery. Not sure why Pany changed the battery in the GH.

12. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    No, they are different part numbers. I have not verified, but found a thread regarding the G2 needing the part ending in PP to function. Someone put the original in and said it would not start for the G2.

Also, I know why they have all these sizes... they keep shrinking/redesigning. But you'd think they'd take into some consideration maintaining a minimal line of batteries. Then again, these might be used in other devices, too, so it may be moot for them.

13. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    It is a scam, Pany don't make their own batteries, a factory in China churns them out by the million.(for all camera manufacturers)
    There were a lot of scare stories in the early days of this type of battery, but things have moved on considerably.
    I have used 3rd part batteries for years with no problems with capacity or anything else.
    Batteries cost pence (cents) to make, the rest is all profit......
    You pays your money and makes your choice........
    Call me a cynic but!!!!!

14. jumbotron

jumbotron Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    Consider yourselves lucky that you even have a 3rd party option or that your original batteries are only 40 bucks. I'm still waiting to find a non Panasonic battery that works with my LX5 - the firmware either rejects OEM options or doesn't display charge levels.

15. Tinderbox (UK)

I always price replacement battery`s before i buy a camera, I do the same with printers and ink/toner.

John.

16. johnb5319

johnb5319 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 22, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Olympus seems to have joined the game to some degree with the BLS-5 replacing the BLS-1 but there is at least supposed to be some cross compatibility. You can buy generic BLS-5's but I'm yet to try one as I'm still waiting for my E-P3! :frown:

17. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    batteries

My Panasonic LX3 is the last i will buy from this brand untill they stop their new battery politic.
    I need 3-4 batteries for my 2 weeks hikes without seeing electricity, i dont want to spend that much money on panasonic batterie without reusing.

Still using my spare E420 batteries on my EP2 atm ( 1 olympus + 3 noname ) .

18. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

What's the real reason?

I agree with most of the issues that have been presented, especially the lack of one “universal battery.” The “PP” suffix only denotes that battery was intended for sales in the US. I think Canada uses “PC” and so on. Generically, as long as the numbers match – same battery.

I’ve used both the genuine and aftermarket batteries. In most cases the genuine battery did have better life, but not proportionally better when you compare the cost difference.
    In all fairness no one has addressed the real reason for the added cost. If you search Google and YouTube you can find numerous cases of LiOn batteries that have exploded, melted or caught fire. I had a “G1” aftermarket battery I purchased off EBAY swell up, and it had to be surgically extracted – a rather costly repair. An internal short within the battery caused it to heat up and swell. Had the battery been fully charged it would have most likely caught fire. Now, consider if this occurred and the customer was injured , killed and possible property damage. The cost to Panasonic to defend the case would be incredibly expensive, not to mention damage to their brand image. If the aftermarket battery was incinerated, it could be impossible to prove. This is most likely what motivated the “battery ID chip” technology. The only winners are the attorneys

I’ve disassembled a genuine Panasonic battery and an EBAY aftermarket special. The aftermarket battery had much less insulation between the cells and I could not find any thermal sensors, which the Panasonic battery had. And for the record, I recall reading a story last year about a fire in one of Panasonic’s battery factories where some of their camera batteries are made. Here’s an article about a new LiOn battery factory, so they do make their own batteries. With their recent purchase of Sanyo, efficient green energy now seems to be one of their new markets. Panasonic's New Lithium-Ion Battery Plant to Start Mass Production Next Month | Headquarters News | Panasonic Global

To me, the added cost is likely due to better internal construction and the extra components added for monitoring battery temperature. Many will disagree and we need to respect those opinions, but clearly this is about product safety (your safety) and liability. I look at it this way - if I purchased an expensive auto I’m not about to replace the tires with the cheapest ones I can find. I have two batteries for each camera I own. These are rechargeable, so the cost of the 2nd battery is not a reoccurring cost. Should any damage occur, the cost of repair would surely be greater than the $20-$30 I saved on the battery.

19. The aftermarket version of the BLB13PP purchased for the GF-1 works with updated firmware. Purchased from bestbatt.com. Functional in cameras with the updated firmware was noted in the description. Priced at $12.90 today. Maybe you can find a generic LX5 battery?
    Panasonic labeled DMW-BCJ13 is for sale at $11.50
    Have only made one purchase from this online retailer. 1st battery was DOA. They sent a replacement out after receiving my email regarding the dead battery. Happy with the customer service.

20. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    While it's a costly annoyance now, just wait 10-20 years when you want to play with your "vintage" Panasonic camera. If you think getting a battery now is hard...