Battery Question for the EM5.2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mkay, Sep 11, 2017.

1. mkay

mkay Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2017
    Somewhere near Toronto
    Can someone that has been using a battery for more than 1 year recommend a good brand to use in my camera? At 71CAD for a spare its kind of steep...

Does anyone know a good OEM replacement?

I have an intravelometer, but swapping batteries mid shoot can be risky.

I was thinking I could use this:

POWERBANK + TetherTools BLN-1 Connector + TetherTools Relay (to power my Camera.

It also becomes a A/C adapter when needed (USB Block). My T5 had this built in, not sure why Olympus refuses to make something similiar and put a punchout in the battery door side.

https://www.amazon.ca/Anker-PowerCo...UTF8&qid=1505158971&sr=8-9&keywords=powerbank

Tether Tools Relay Camera Coupler for Olympus Cameras CRBLN-1

Tether Tools Case Relay Camera Power System CRUPS110 B&H Photo

2. JamesD172

JamesD172 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 18, 2016
    James Dolezal
    I've used Wasabi spares for about a year and haven't had any issues. I'm sure other third-party manufacturers are fine too, but I don't have any experience with other brands.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Snowonuluru

Snowonuluru Mu-43 Top Veteran

Hi, I have been considering alternative brand batteries but been holding back because a review I read mentioned that non-Olympus batteries will not charge properly on Olympus chargers. I simply hate the thought of having to carry an additional charger. Do you charge your Wasabi battery with an Olympus charger please?

4. JamesD172

JamesD172 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 18, 2016
    James Dolezal
    I charge all my batteries with the original Olympus charger.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. jeffreybehr

jeffreybehr New to Mu-43

May 18, 2017
  6. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    Progo. 2 batts w/charger and adapter. charger can be used in the car.

7. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Same as what @PacNWMike@PacNWMike linked to above. I have four Progo batteries that I have had now for four years. I've used the Olympus battery charger for the original Olympus batteries and the Progo s. I've also used the Progo charger with the Olympus batteries - but it does not quite bring them u to a full charge, but very close.

8. mkay

mkay Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2017
    Somewhere near Toronto
    Thanks all for the replies! I read somewhere that something would bulge and ruin my camera. And I was kind of skeptical but I've been using Wasabi batteries in the go pro without a hitch. But you know 400$ vs 1000$ (CAD). Anyone know what fully decoded battery means on some of these listing?

9. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, decoded means they should work in the Oly charger.

Swelling/bulging occurs during charging, not during use, so getting a battery stuck in the camera is unlikely unless you force an already-swollen one in.

10. mkay

mkay Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2017
    Somewhere near Toronto
    Thanks Barry -- I went for the wasabi batteries :)

11. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    If you have a Li-ion battery that has swelled or is bulging - do not use it, do not charge it, cover the contacts with tape, and properly dispose if it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Joon525

Joon525 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    NJ
    I've had a wasabi battery swell inside my E-M5 MkII and I can assure you I did not force it in there. I don't think anyone with any common sense would even try that!

As I previously stated I've had a Wasabi battery swell. In fact I have more than 1 swell but they lasted for quite a while (I still have them on my desk at home if proof is needed).
    They were awesome while they lasted but nowadays I just use Olympus batteries.

A battery is $50, the camera (E-M5 MkII) is more than 10 times the cost....so I don't sweat a $50 battery anymore.