Battery Question for the EM5.2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mkay, Sep 11, 2017.

1. mkay

mkay Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2017
    Somewhere near Toronto
    Can someone that has been using a battery for more than 1 year recommend a good brand to use in my camera? At 71CAD for a spare its kind of steep...

Does anyone know a good OEM replacement?

I have an intravelometer, but swapping batteries mid shoot can be risky.

I was thinking I could use this:

POWERBANK + TetherTools BLN-1 Connector + TetherTools Relay (to power my Camera.

It also becomes a A/C adapter when needed (USB Block). My T5 had this built in, not sure why Olympus refuses to make something similiar and put a punchout in the battery door side.

https://www.amazon.ca/Anker-PowerCo...UTF8&qid=1505158971&sr=8-9&keywords=powerbank

Tether Tools Relay Camera Coupler for Olympus Cameras CRBLN-1

Tether Tools Case Relay Camera Power System CRUPS110 B&H Photo

2. JamesD172

JamesD172 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 18, 2016
    James Dolezal
    I've used Wasabi spares for about a year and haven't had any issues. I'm sure other third-party manufacturers are fine too, but I don't have any experience with other brands.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Snowonuluru

Snowonuluru Mu-43 All-Pro

Hi, I have been considering alternative brand batteries but been holding back because a review I read mentioned that non-Olympus batteries will not charge properly on Olympus chargers. I simply hate the thought of having to carry an additional charger. Do you charge your Wasabi battery with an Olympus charger please?

4. JamesD172

JamesD172 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 18, 2016
    James Dolezal
    I charge all my batteries with the original Olympus charger.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. jeffreybehr

jeffreybehr New to Mu-43

May 18, 2017
  6. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    Progo. 2 batts w/charger and adapter. charger can be used in the car.

7. Clint

Clint Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Same as what @PacNWMike@PacNWMike linked to above. I have four Progo batteries that I have had now for four years. I've used the Olympus battery charger for the original Olympus batteries and the Progo s. I've also used the Progo charger with the Olympus batteries - but it does not quite bring them u to a full charge, but very close.

8. mkay

mkay Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2017
    Somewhere near Toronto
    Thanks all for the replies! I read somewhere that something would bulge and ruin my camera. And I was kind of skeptical but I've been using Wasabi batteries in the go pro without a hitch. But you know 400$ vs 1000$ (CAD). Anyone know what fully decoded battery means on some of these listing?

9. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, decoded means they should work in the Oly charger.

Swelling/bulging occurs during charging, not during use, so getting a battery stuck in the camera is unlikely unless you force an already-swollen one in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mkay

mkay Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2017
    Somewhere near Toronto
    Thanks Barry -- I went for the wasabi batteries :)

11. Clint

Clint Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    If you have a Li-ion battery that has swelled or is bulging - do not use it, do not charge it, cover the contacts with tape, and properly dispose if it!

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Joon525

Joon525 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    NJ
    I've had a wasabi battery swell inside my E-M5 MkII and I can assure you I did not force it in there. I don't think anyone with any common sense would even try that!

As I previously stated I've had a Wasabi battery swell. In fact I have more than 1 swell but they lasted for quite a while (I still have them on my desk at home if proof is needed).
    They were awesome while they lasted but nowadays I just use Olympus batteries.

A battery is $50, the camera (E-M5 MkII) is more than 10 times the cost....so I don't sweat a $50 battery anymore.

13. MorganW

MorganW Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 13, 2017
    Vancouver
    Was looking for Wasabi battery issue and found this thread.
    Has anyone experienced Wasabi (or 3rd party) battery having issue while taking timelapse.

I found my 2 Wasabi battery last way shorter when doing those shots, compare to my another 2 BLN1.

I have set the timelapse to 450 frames with LCD closed. On BLN1 it finished the 450 frames without problem but on Wasabi it often ends early with 200 frames or less. On daily use though, they have similar performance with around 400 shots.

Could it be the temperature too? It was pretty cold at night here in Canada.

14. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I've noticed that, in general, there is an issue with the Wasabi batteries not holding their charge while not in use as well as not having the same or similar capacity as an OEM battery.

For the price they are, they work well as a stop gap. Knowing this, I'm not going to depend on them for any mission critical work.

15. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Veteran

What I kinda don't like about the OM-D (I have an EM-5 and an EM-5 MkII) is it appears they do not power from the USB cable. If I were doing a long interval shot or timelapse, I'd love to be able to plug into an external, HUGE battery.

Alternately, when I got my EM-5, I got the battery grip and a couple aftermarket batteries. They're not marked and I can't remember the brand. (they're not Wasabi) When I got my MkII, I ordered a pair of the Wasabi batteries with the USB charger. I haven't yet gotten the battery grip part that will let me use the same battery grip from the original EM-5, but will eventually. I like how that is set up.

Personally, I'll MOSTLY use the OEM battery in the camera. If I have a choice with the grip installed, I'll use the OEM battery in the camera body and swap the aftermarket units in the battery grip.

16. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 26, 2011
    I used Wasabi batteries for a while but stopped when one swelled and I could hardly remove it. After that I decided to use the OEM batteries, except in an emergency. So good to be alert to swelling as it came on from one charging to the next in my case.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. pondball

pondball Mu-43 All-Pro

:2thumbs: Yup! :2thumbs:

18. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    That is the case now, as the mirrorless cameras are better at their power management. When I first started using Fuji and Olympus, I needed 6 batteries for all day shooting. Fuji and Oly batteries at the time were $70 each plus tax so, lets say $75 x 6 = $450 in battery costs. That is not chicken feed to most people.

I still celebrate my Df which I can capture over 2000 images on 1 battery, so I rarely need to dip into the extra. It has spoiled me when using the D500, which is more power hungry...but then again, I usually am shooting AF-C and continuous high bursts.

Bottom line, it's all relative, really.

19. mauve

mauve Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    For intervalometer purpose, if you're close to an A/C power source, you've got the official AC-3 but you need a full HLD-8 grip to plug it in (the bottom part where the plug is located is the HLD-6P, common to the original OM-D E-M5 and the E-M5 mark II - yes, it's confusing). But the grip also holds a second battery.

M.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.