1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Battery pack/grip for the EM-5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Shade, May 31, 2012.

1. Shade

Shade Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    I held one, tried it on, and it just doesnt feel right. It makes the em-5 look and hold like a dslr. Though I must admit it does give a steadier hold and a more comfortable portrait orientation, and its also great to have that tripod socket aligned with the lens (unlike the one on the body).

Any of you bought one for day to day use?

2. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    I did. Especially with a larger lens (e.g., 75-300) the landscape grip comes in handy. The portrait one, however, stays at home when I am out shooting. I only use it when I need the extra battery and, of corse, use the cam in portrait mode.

(Disclaimer: I got the grip about two weeks ago. So I might not have settled on this so far...)

3. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VfntwZdfxiw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I dig mine. The nice thing about the grip with the OMD is you can use the OMD naked, with the half grip or the full grip. It's the most well designed grip I've owned but I agree it does look like a DSLR with the full grip but I think that's by design.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I Use Both Pieces

May never take them off. I also got a second battery but I never put one in the camera. It is just so easy to ONLY use the battery grip. Popping in a battery is effortless and instant. I just keep my spare in a pocket or in the bag.:smile:

5. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I really like the grips,but I'm still figuring out how/when I'll be using them.I used both pieces the other day and while the weight is so much more with the extra battery Too,It really was a pleasure and I forgot about the extra weight quickly.Because the vertical grip is so comfortable,I found myself using it a lot more than I normally do.
    I love using just the horizontal piece.It is A LOT more comfortable than no grip at all.I think it adds to the good looks of the camera.The issue I have with it is,you must take it off to change the battery.This is not the most convenient thing to do when you are out shooting.
    I doubt that I will travel with the grips because of the bulk and weight.
    I didn't like spending the extra money for it,but the design and quality is very apparent.

6. Hacker

Hacker Mu-43 Rookie

May 25, 2012
    Cyberspace
    Using the half grip. Seems better than the Gariz Case. With the whole grip, the camera looks too bulky. Maybe with the 75-300mm lens.

7. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    I almost never take the grips off. I come from using big cameras, so the OM-D with grips doesn't seem bulky to me in the least.

I admit it is fun to handle the E-M5 the few times I have taken off the grips, it is very much like a completely different camera.

8. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    I had pretty much decided I don't need it, but after playing with a demo camera with the horizontal grip the ergonomics were quite good. I'm still waiting for my camera, so just a bystander right now...

gsciorio's very nice video with the HLD-6 isn't helping me save money for the 12-35 either!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jimbo3rd

Jimbo3rd Photog GoGo

Mar 10, 2011
    Central Florida/Disney area
    Jim Sullivan
    Great take on the grip, also like the lens shade, couldn't make out name?

• Like Like x 1
  10. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    NC
    Besides the fact I have medium to large hands, the battery grip does one valuable thing. Every one who judges the worth of your camera from the size of it is fooled into thinking it's a 'real' camera because of the slightly more robust appearance. It's sad, but with the battery grip it looks more professional to the uninformed.

That plus my adapted 50mm F2 Leica (or my 400mm Vivitar for some real superficial measuring of my lens's worth, and to impress the ladies :cool: ) makes for one bad*ss looking mirror-less compact camera. I love it.

The other way I can describe the grip is to compare it to my buddy's Beretta 9mm. It just feels right in my hand, just like this battery grip, properly weighted and it enhances the stability of the camera in my hand.

11. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Olympus LH-55B, same as the one for the Olympus 9-18 lens. It is out of stock in most places, but there are some non-OEM alternatives.

12. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Thanks for watching the video. The hood is the LH-55B

13. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    One more thing regarding the grip.By moving the shutter button forward, it allows a more open hand grip, more relaxed instead of bunched up.I really couldn't use the thumb grip before.Now my thumb falls naturally on the rear wheel and thumb grip and makes the controls flow better.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Shade

Shade Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    Thanks for sharing your opinions guys. I would have to agree that the grip does add extra comfort and stability, I have tried it myself and believes so. But I have this constant whisper that I bought the EM-5 for it's portability and small size, adding the grip and/or the battery pack is just "against" it lmao.

I'm just being silly perhaps, but I think I really should give it an extra thought. Wouldn't hurt having one at home for a "just-in-case" situation huh?

15. Rick_B

Rick_B Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2012
    West Haven, CT USA
    Rick Baumhauer
    I hardly ever take the grip/battery pack off my E-M5. I keep the OEM battery in the camera body, and swap the DSTE batteries in the grip. As others have mentioned, it does give the E-M5 a more 'professional' look, which helps with my day-to-day clients.

Even with the grip attached, the E-M5 is much smaller and lighter than my old DSLR rigs, so it doesn't bother me at all. I pretty much consider the E-M5 with the grip and battery holder to be the 'default' configuration of the camera. However, if I want to travel EXTREMELY light (camera in jacket pocket, for instance), it's nice that they can be removed.

16. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    I love to have that grip.

However I am thinking that for the price of the grip, it is better for me save the money to buy 1 good lens. I think it will give me more photographic opportunities.

I am more of a prime user with small/medium hands so I think I can live without the grip.

17. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    (Deleted the content)

(Reason for deleting: Same post as the above)

18. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I just got my hands on a set of the battery grip. While the whole set feels a little heavy, I tried carrying a E-M5 with full grips + 4/3 14-54 MkII combo on my shoulder strap yesterday, and it wasn't a burden at all...

One thing I felt lacking in the E-M5 is the original grip being too shallow, I think the extra horizontal grip is a must for any large lens, while I've decided the vertical grip is not a necessity unless I have a huge lens like the 4/3 50-200 SWD on...

19. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I can definitely see how the grip would make the camera a little more comfortable, sacrificing some pocket ability. Still on the fence. If I could get just the landscape grip (not the extra battery section) for a reasonable amount, I would consider it for certain circumstances.

Regarding thumb positioning, I found subjective handling improved significantly when I stopped trying to use my thumb to operate either control wheel - moved primary control to the front wheel (i.e. aperture in A mode), exposure comp to the rear, and operate both with my index (shutter) finger. Thumb solidly anchors the camera, and you can still quickly adjust both settings. I do wish I could reverse the direction on just the rear control wheel, though..

20. Shade

Shade Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    Yea I personally would jump on it if we didnt have to buy along with the vertical grip. The landscape grip alone is all I probably would want. Hrmmm..