Battery life in real life use for G3 ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by blue, Jun 2, 2011.

1. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    I have a G1 and am looking at the G3. One of the comments in the reviews so far is "short battery life".

According to the Panasonic stats, G1 does 330 - 350 shots and the G3 250 - 270.

I do realise that it depends on temperature, lens and so on, BUT in my day to day use spring/summer I am getting well over 500 from my G1 before the battery is run down. (I already have 400 since yesterday on charged battery and only one bar gone).

So, in the same conditions would I expect a similar increase on the 250 quoted for the G3 ?
  2. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)

I'm wondering the same thing. I also have the G1 (and a GF1), and am thinking that I'll move to the G3. I don't get as much life as you from a battery, so I usually carry as spare.

The G3 does not have the smart eypiece that switches it off when it's away from your face, so it might use more power if it's not set to have a short battery saver period.

I also get more time with my 20mm than I do with the 14-140mm. I think that's because the 14-140mm is stabilised (the 20mm isn't).

The battery issue seems to be one of the few problems with the G3. If that's the only worry I'll just carry an extra. On the positive side, the G3 battery is smaller, so carrying spare will be just that much easier.

Good luck.
  3. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore

The problem with the G3's battery is that it's smaller than those in the G1, G2 and GH cameras - primarily because of the smaller grip. I have a G3 on preorder, so I'll definitely find out what the deal is. I suspect I will generally get results on the high end of Panasonic's estimate - if not more - because I use the viewfinder about 90 percent of the time. Like Bill, I'll just carry an extra battery in my bag.
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Manufacturer specs on battery life generally includes flash usage. Without that, your battery life will be much better. I believe it also includes LCD usage, but EVF usage should lessen the drain. The numbers are very much a rough estimate, as everybody's usage is different. Some people may even leave their camera on too long between shots and drain their battery that way, or spend lots of time going through playback images, or shooting video. Who knows?

In other words, if you got more photos out of your G1 than the estimated battery life, than you should get the same with the G3, under your own shooting style.
  5. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON

Here is the link to the CIPA digital camera battery test standards. According to the CIPA testing methodology, flash is used for every other photograph throughout the testing. That's a LOT of flash usage, and based on how many people are big proponents of "available light" photography, likely highly underestimates the amount of battery life you can get real world if you aren't a 50% flash shooter.
  6. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    This is a condensed version of what everythingsablur posted just above, from my GH2 manual:

7. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    that's good to hear. I bought my GF1 and a spare battery, but the only time I switch batteries is when I'm done for the day.. just to cycle their use. It's the BP511 battery of Panasonic, ha.
  8. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    Those CIPA standards are interesting, and it makes sense of why my battery life seems so much more than they quote - I never use flash.

I always have two batteries anyway, but was worried for the G3 I might need 3 (if it was 250 per battery that wouldn't get me through a long day out).