Battery life for video on G85

ChuckG

Mu-43 Regular
I rarely do video but my boss asked me if I could record a 2 hour training session. Does anyone have experience with video know if the battery will last that long recording video?

Thank you.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
2 hours is probably cutting it close. Maybe it will work, maybe not. When I was recording video at renaissance faires, I think was changing the battery at the 2 hour mark. The shows were 1/2 hour each, and between shows, I could change batteries. Be sure to completely charge the battery.

I would recommend getting either the 3rd party battery grips for the G85 so that you won't run out of juice, or get one of the kits that allow you to use a dummy battery and power the camera via an AC adapter.

Looking at ebay, there are a couple of grips that are under $50. Note, the 3rd party grips are not listed as being splash proof. I have one of those grips, and I set the G85 to use the battery in the grip first, and when the little icon on the screen says it is no longer using the grip battery, I switch the grip battery when I can. I have even switched the grip battery while I was recording live (with the camera locked down on a tripod). When I closed the door on the grip, the camera immediately switched to using the grip battery once again.

There are several dummy battery and A/C adapters for the G85 listed on ebay in the $20-30 range. If you need to record without an A/C outlet, I recently have been playing around with large capacity USB batteries that support USB C-PD (power delivery) that can delivery 9 volts at 2 amps. In addition to the battery, you would need a so-called trigger cable, that plugs into a USB C-PD plug and produces 9 volts and 2 or more amps (typically the battery will say 18W output where watts is amps * voltage roughly). Note, for the higher end cameras (specifically E-m1 mark III, but I imagine GH5-II), you likely need a power source that can do 9v and at least 3 amps. Those batteries are harder to find.

Last edited:

ChuckG

Mu-43 Regular
Unfortunately the training session is tomorrow and my boss just asked me this afternoon if I had a camera that could record it. The camera the shop has is an d Canon SX20IS that is not capable.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Unfortunately the training session is tomorrow and my boss just asked me this afternoon if I had a camera that could record it. The camera the shop has is an d Canon SX20IS that is not capable.
Well there are often times when there are breaks, or such. You can use them to change the batteries. As I said, you are kind of on the edge of battery capacity.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I hate it when bosses do that. :mad:

Warning. Don't get boxed into a corner. Tell your boss the issues you know of, ASAP.
My experience has been that, even if you are doing the boss a favor, that won't prevent some bosses from getting mad at you, like the problem you had was YOUR fault.
CYA. Document that he gave you less than 24 hours notice, you have to use your own gear, that you are limited by the capabilities of your gear, and what you are trying to do, to make it work. You may need it at your annual review, if he brings it up as a reason that he isn't giving you a raise.

Do you have a spare battery? I hope so.
If not, you better warn the boss ASAP, that your camera may not make it to the end of the class.
Warning, battery capacity drops as the battery ages, so your 2 hour battery may not give you 2 hours.
You will need to coordinate with the trainer, to pause the class when you need to change batteries.

I don't know about your camera, but some cameras have/had "I think" a 30 minute limit to video.
If your camera has that limit, you have to shoot in 29 minutes segments, and the training has to pause for you to restart shooting video at those points.
Time to RTM (Read The Manual).
Don't try to reset with the training in process, you will miss stuff. Have the trainer stop for you, say at 25 minute increments, or when you signal him. The pause will only be a few seconds.

Do you know how much storage the video in YOUR camera will need, to record 2-hours of video?
If not, again RTM.
And do you have enough memory cards?
I personally have no idea how much storage just 15 minutes of video will use on ANY of my cameras, because I don't shoot video. So I would have to RTM also.

From a quick search, I found that the G85 does not have an external mic jack. So you are stuck with the built-in mic.
One problem that you need to be aware of, is where the camera and mic are vs. where the trainer is. A built-in mic will pick up the noise and talking around the camera, which could mask the trainer's voice, at the front of the room. This will be a problem if the trainer is not using a PA system, to amplify his voice, especially if his voice is not loud. I've seen decent video, shot with expensive gear, that had poor audio, because of this problem.

I hope you have a tripod.
I would not try hand-holding for 2-hours.

This is the kind of stuff that needs planing, testing, practice and getting the right equipment.

Gud Luk.

ChuckG

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for the info. I have a tripod and spare batteries. The camera and batteries are just over a year old. I got more info from my boss. This is a webinar type training that he would like recorded so the employees that are not present can view it later. If I had known a week ago I could have ordered the dummy battery with the cord. Oh well, I need to read the manual to see how long I can record for as I have never tried it with this camera. Even on my older Sony I only recorded about 15 to 20 minutes at a time.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Thanks for the info. I have a tripod and spare batteries. The camera and batteries are just over a year old. I got more info from my boss. This is a webinar type training that he would like recorded so the employees that are not present can view it later. If I had known a week ago I could have ordered the dummy battery with the cord. Oh well, I need to read the manual to see how long I can record for as I have never tried it with this camera. Even on my older Sony I only recorded about 15 to 20 minutes at a time.
We often record web meetings at work, the meetings are on Teams (Microsoft office 365?), so if it is a web meeting/course it is probably better to just record the meeting/course on the computer.

Edit: there is a recording function in Teams that we use. Zoom has the same functionality as far as I know.

ChuckG

Mu-43 Regular
We often record web meetings at work, the meetings are on Teams (Microsoft office 365?), so if it is a web meeting/course it is probably better to just record the meeting/course on the computer.
Interesting. I was unaware of that option. Thank you.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Interesting. I was unaware of that option. Thank you.
You are probably better off trying to get Teams or whatever you use to record the session then trying to set up a video recording by tomorrow.
Call one of your colleagues and try to record that session and you have some practice!

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I hate it when bosses do that. :mad:

Warning. Don't get boxed into a corner. Tell your boss the issues you know of, ASAP.
My experience has been that, even if you are doing the boss a favor, that won't prevent some bosses from getting mad at you, like the problem you had was YOUR fault.
CYA. Document that he gave you less than 24 hours notice, you have to use your own gear, that you are limited by the capabilities of your gear, and what you are trying to do, to make it work. You may need it at your annual review, if he brings it up as a reason that he isn't giving you a raise.
Yes, it may be helpful to get him/her to acknowledge this in writing.

I don't know about your camera, but some cameras have/had "I think" a 30 minute limit to video.
The G85 does not have a 30 minute limit. I've recorded shows that were 1.5 hours long (at 1080p, but I believe there is no limit for 4K either). Note, the European versions of the camera (G80, G81, and G82) do have 30 minute limits.

Note if you are recording in 4K, hopefully you have at least a 256GB memory card. As I recall, I did calculations, and you can fill up a 128GB memory card at 4K at about 1 3/4 hours.

From a quick search, I found that the G85 does not have an external mic jack. So you are stuck with the built-in mic.
One problem that you need to be aware of, is where the camera and mic are vs. where the trainer is. A built-in mic will pick up the noise and talking around the camera, which could mask the trainer's voice, at the front of the room. This will be a problem if the trainer is not using a PA system, to amplify his voice, especially if his voice is not loud. I've seen decent video, shot with expensive gear, that had poor audio, because of this problem.

The G85 has an external microphone jack. It can even provide phantom power to the microphone if the microphone is not powered.

Perhaps you found the GX85, which does not have a microphone jack.

Note, as I discovered in recording my last show, the G85 does not have a headphone jack so you cannot monitor the sound (I lost the first 13 minutes of sound because the microphone wasn't fully plugged in).

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The G85 has an external microphone jack. It can even provide phantom power to the microphone if the microphone is not powered.

Perhaps you found the GX85, which does not have a microphone jack.

Note, as I discovered in recording my last show, the G85 does not have a headphone jack so you cannot monitor the sound (I lost the first 13 minutes of sound because the microphone wasn't fully plugged in).

Ha, yes, that is the problem with doing quick searches.
I probably did make a mistake in the search, or reading what I found.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
As I've said (assuming you have the G85) there is no hard limit other than whether your batteries and memory cards have enough capacity. The manual does mention a hard limit of 3 hours and 4 minutes or if your 4K file exceeds 96GB on a SDXC card (page 29). I have recorded a 1 1/2 hour show several times with the camera. But note, I do have the battery grip and 2 batteries and at other times I have used the dummy battery power option.

As others have said, for a web type of thing, it is probably better to use the web providers record capability. I was assuming you were talking about recording somebody doing a live presentation.

ChuckG

Mu-43 Regular
As I've said (assuming you have the G85) there is no hard limit other than whether your batteries and memory cards have enough capacity. The manual does mention a hard limit of 3 hours and 4 minutes or if your 4K file exceeds 96GB on a SDXC card (page 29). I have recorded a 1 1/2 hour show several times with the camera. But note, I do have the battery grip and 2 batteries and at other times I have used the dummy battery power option.

As others have said, for a web type of thing, it is probably better to use the web providers record capability. I was assuming you were talking about recording somebody doing a live presentation.
I appreciate the information. It is possible in the future I may be asked to record a live presentation. At least I have some idea of what I would need should it arise.

ChuckG

Mu-43 Regular
I got lucky and didn't have to attempt to record the webinar. After I explained to my boss that there was a chance the camera might shut off partway thru the presentation due to overheating, he decided to contact the presenter to see if they can provide a recorded copy. Thanks to everyone that provided information.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom