Battery life for OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dannzhu, Feb 10, 2013.

1. dannzhu

dannzhu New to Mu-43

Feb 6, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi guys,

Just curious to hear your experiences on the OM-D battery.

My battery was fully recharged before use, I mainly use EVF and only occasionally use Live view.
    However, I only managed to get about 230shots before the battery died.

Is this common? Or should I expect more numbers?

2. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I get around 400-500 on a single charge on mine, but it varies wildly between the two. Alot of my shots are on a tripod, no IS on, manual focus and I don't use the rear screen at all, so I might be a little better on battery life because of those.

I will say the first time I charged the batteries I got about 300, after that they did better. Could have been the firmware that stopped the gentle whirring noise :p
  3. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    That is about what I get hand holding with is on. I was a little disappointed, but will just buy another spare.
  4. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    i do get 400+ shots as well with 1 charge. except when i do night photography as i notice long exposures drains the batter life more. is your batt brand new? sometimes it takes a couple of charges before you can maximize the battery's full potential. also, turn your liveview (LCD) off to save on juice.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    Hey just a thought, the EVF has a setting that whenever your eye is up to the EVF it comes on, otherwise it goes off. Well, if you hang the camera around your neck like I do that EVF keeps coming on whenever the camera is sitting flat against your chest. Anyway, that and a few other settings I how long a photo is displayed after taking it etc.
  6. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    I have auto review turned off and I also switch the camera off when not in use. everything else is on. my average is around 450 shots per charge.

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I get around 300+ with everything turned off. When I shoot, the camera is at my eye waiting for the defining image, constantly focusing and framing. I think that eats up quickly. I use a grip and keep spares batteries around. The other day I shot a play, four hours of continuous camera running time and more than 1,000 images later both OM-D's w/grips were still humming without a battery change.

8. dannzhu

dannzhu New to Mu-43

Feb 6, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi guys,

Thanks everyone for the responses.

rklepper, I'm also considering to buy another spare.

Gary Ramey, about the eye sensor stuff...
    I'm assuming it's on Option J - EVF Auto Switch.
    So if I turn Auto Switch off, then the EVF will always be on whenever the camera is on. Doesn't that consume more power?

Also, mine doesn't automatically display the photo on LCD right after taking the shot.
    I always have to press the Playback button.
    How do I change this? (I explored all menu settings but cannot get it to display automatically even for 1sec...newb q!)

Zariell & yekimrd, I updated to the latest firmware straight right after I got it and I only used the Live view occasionally.
    I didn't change much of the original settings.
    I have always used Autofocus and leave IS on.
    Since I got the camera, I think I have charged the battery about 4-5 times.
    So I'm hoping the battery will get better after more charges.

9. dff

dff New to Mu-43

Dec 21, 2012
    Have extras

To be somewhat contrary - you should set and use the camera in whatever way works best for you. If that shortens battery life then you need to get another battery. In fact I would never leave for a day of active shooting without 2 extra batteries. Things happen - be ready. These camera are really just small computers with a lens and if you want a small camera you will have small battery. Hopefully the manufactures will get better at maximizing battery efficiency. I probably get around 300 shots but there seems to be a wide variation for me.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    For E-P3 it's: menu -> wrench -> rec view

It might be the same with E-M5
  11. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    For what its worth Danzhu, I rarely get more than 200 shots from a fullycharged battery. I have it set so I have to manually change from EVF to LCD too.

I am not exactly a rapid fire shooter I will admit and spend quite a bit of time staring in the EVF trying to work out the best shot.

It is easier to accept it rather than worry about it and make sure you have enough batteries.
  12. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Oh, this made me remember something (though not sure). Chimping uses up the battery the fastest -- I used to chimp a lot so it'd be easier to go through stuff on my laptop at home but it makes a dramatic difference in battery life. I used to need 3 batteries when I go out, now I need 2 at most and never use up the 2nd battery entirely.
  13. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I get about 400 shots, sometimes more, sometimes less, from a single E-M5 charge. I think 3 batteries is an absolute minimum for me for the E-M5. I have a pair of generics I picked up on eBay that work just fine, and the third is generally an 'emergency backup'.

This is the one area where I much prefer DSLRs; 1000 shots isn't unusual with the 5D..
  14. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    This is strange, last time when i was on a winter-rally i had 1800 images with me home, and I only changed battery once, so the second one still hade some life in it. i switch manualy from EVF to the screen, and maybe 75% of the images this day was with the EVF.
    And that day it was around -5c.
  15. zorki1

zorki1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2010
    I think I might have a problem with my OMD, the battery drains while not using the camera. If I let it set a week on a full battery then pick it up to shoot, I only get about 40 shots before it goes dead. Also I only get about 150 shots with 10% chimping on a fully charged Oly battery, the one that came with the camera. I use EVF, updated the firmware, and went thru all the power saving stuff in the menu.
  16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Okay, so it was you who got the good OM-D ... rub it in.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    Did you do a lot of continuous shooting? I can usually get over 250 more "shots" when doing continuous shooting, but only about 300~450 normally.
  18. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    hard to say 500-700+ pretty normal for me ?

but I am using it at weddings so continuous use and not chimping to much but am using the rear screen some :)
  19. mistermark

mistermark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    I rarely use the LCD for composition and don't do a lot of chimping. Typically I get anywhere between 600 and 1100 images per battery. I have four additional batteries plus the one supplied with the camera, and a second charger.