Battery Life Confusion

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by exakta, Jun 18, 2015.

1. exakta

exakta Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2015
    Reviews of the E-M10 spec the battery life at just over 300 shots and many recommend carrying spares if going out for the day. I've read similar things about my Fuji X10.

I have done a number of shoots on both cameras in medium burst mode and come home with over 600 photos taken over a period of a few hours. Yet the battery meters on both cameras still show full bars. Have I managed to circumvent the laws of physics or am I just not taxing the camera enough?

Just trying to understand if I should invest in extra batteries and how many.

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    There's a standard called CIPA (I think... it's too early for thinking) which outlines the test for battery life, it generally involves a cycle repeating something like the following: Focus several times, take a picture, look at it, refocus several times, take a picture, look at the picture, turn the camera off, repeat til the battery is dead. There's durations of all of the actions as well so they can't be rushed.

I forget the number of cycles however it basically murders mirrorless cameras due to the constant sensor+lcd drain.

3. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    also, I use legacy lenses don't chimp the rear screen (EVF, so why bother) and rarely use flash. So its my experience that I get over a thousand shots to a battery.

I have one spare battery which I end up cyclying (replace good battery, put discharged battery on charger when home, leave in bag ready for next time). I've found batteries hold their charge well and have had 3 months go by and its still ready to roll.

4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    CIPA test also include flash use for one picture out of two, wait 30 sec before each shot and restart the camera each 20 shots IIRC.
    600 is about the number of shots I get. I would not trust to much the bars, especially with third-party batteries: mine go from full to dead very quickly.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I agree. I don't trust the bars. When I see one bar missing from the battery indicator, it's probably not far from going dead shortly. I may go through a shooting session without needing a spare, but I guarantee that I'll have to put in a new battery during the next session. I always try to carry at least one fully charged spare battery. When I've not had the spare fully charged, it usually turns and bites me. :) YMMV

6. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I carry 3 batteries each for both my E-M5 Mk.II and Fuji X100T. Battery life really depends on how you use your camera. In the past, I've been able to get around 800 shots on my E-M1 using a lot of burst shots at a concert whereas on some days I can barely get 100 shots if I chimp a lot, use the LCD, use flash, etc...

One thing for sure though is battery life on my E-M5 Mk.II is noticeably superior to that of my X100T which eats thru batteries like crazy. The irony is that CIPA rating favors the X100T (330 vs 310).

7. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi

I recently did a test with all my batteries, some genuine and some third party.

This was done during a controlled test running a fully charged battery till the camera switched off.

Virtually every battery exceeded 600 shots before shutdown.

In real shooting the best I get is around 300 with the worsed under 100.

Real shooting results were nothing like the controlled results.

Paul