1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Battery level setting

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by metalbernd, Aug 9, 2012.

  1. metalbernd

    metalbernd Mu-43 Regular

    45
    Aug 1, 2012
    Holland
    On the OM-D, you can set the battery level, 0,-1,-2.
    What is the function of this?
     
  2. Richard Ripley

    Richard Ripley Mu-43 Rookie

    11
    Jan 11, 2010
    Monrovia, CA
    The setting gives you the ability to set the warning level for the battery. The higher number, warns you sooner that your battery is running down. I have my setting at 1.

    From the manual: "Choose the battery level at which the [battery] warning is displayed." Page 92.
     
  3. Chrisnmn

    Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

    Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I have mine at -2 so that i really know the battery is empty when the sign blinks, this way i know i wont have any memory effect on the batteries specially 3rd party which might be easy to create this sort of problems
     
  4. Promit

    Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

    Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Memory is a property of Ni-Cad batteries, not the Lithium Ion types used in most modern devices.
     
  5. Chrisnmn

    Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

    Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    True but for some reason i never trust much chinese battery cheapos!
     
  6. Mikefellh

    Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

    939
    Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
  7. Pennington

    Pennington Mu-43 Regular

    I guess I don't really understand this setting... Even when the battery warning starts blinking, I usually keep shooting until it just runs out. (Unless I'm in the midst of something important, in which case I'll swap sooner...guess it could be useful then.)
     
    • Like Like x 1
  8. riverr02

    riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

    258
    May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Same here. Seems like a silly setting to me. Why couldn't they give us a proper battery gauge/icon to view the ongoing state of the battery? Don't think that'd be too hard, since P&S's routinely do that.

    Hoping this is a "feature" in the next firmware update, along with easier bracketing.

    R
     
  9. cputeq

    cputeq Mu-43 Regular

    140
    Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Jeremy
    Yes I will never understand Olympus' failure to provide even the most basic of battery information - I think maybe there is a patent for this held by someone, and they don't want to pay the fees to impliment it - that's my wild guess.

    Their battery implementation is absolutely archaic. Don't bet on a firmware update changing this - it worked the same way in their E-5.
     
  10. metalbernd

    metalbernd Mu-43 Regular

    45
    Aug 1, 2012
    Holland
    Oke, thank for your answers, it is just a indication, but it is not very reliable?
     
  11. newbert

    newbert Mu-43 Veteran

    292
    Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    I agree 100%!!! Just this morning, I went out to do some shooting and the battery indicator showed 2/3 charge left. Bottom line - After 35 shots, the battery was already empty. :mad: If there was a way to actually access a menu showing a percentage reading of charge left, that would be a BIG help!

    To make matters worse, it takes 3 hours to re-charge the battery. :eek: I'd buy a second battery if they were available (I prefer using OEM batteries.)

    Agree with you about easier bracketing too. I use Fn1 to activate a Myset that has my default bracketing settings. While this works 90% of the time, there's the other 10% where I want to change a parameter such as WB, ISO, etc with bracketing. That requires me to dive into the menus.
     
  12. newbert

    newbert Mu-43 Veteran

    292
    Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Thanks for that info. I don't recall whether I changed that value, but I'm going to look into it (as soon as my battery finishes re-charging....:redface:). Just this morning, my battery was used up after only 35 shots, even though I started the morning with the indicator showing 2/3 full. :mad:
     
  13. newbert

    newbert Mu-43 Veteran

    292
    Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    I just checked my setting. It was on +1 and after the indicator started the day at 2/3 full, I only got 35 more shots until the battery was dead. So now, I've changed the setting to +2....Let's see what happens.

    One more related question, though.......I have only the body and no grip. So what should my setting be for "Battery Priority" (Body Battery or PBH Battery)?

    Thanks!
     
  14. Mikefellh

    Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

    939
    Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    it can be either..lthe idea is it will only take effect when you have the battery grip on the camera and a second battery loaded.