1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Battery-Grip for E-PM1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by PointZero, Mar 20, 2012.

1. PointZero

PointZero Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2011
    California
    Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew about a battery-grip-styled grip for the EPM1. I don't need to actually supply power to the camera, but want the additional bulk. The EPM1 is a fantastically compact camera, but I would really like some additional bulk to balance out the weight/mass when I mount legacy glass like Canon FDs. It would also help with using telephoto zooms.

I believe the other term for it is a vertical grip?

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    There isn't one and the "mini" part defies a quest for more heft. You're going to have to step up to a P series for a slightly more substantial feel, or look at the Panasonic cameras.

3. PointZero

PointZero Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2011
    California
    I'm looking for a more modular solution. There are times when I will only go with the EPM1 and Panasonic 14mm. Other times, I want something more heavy-handed to complement better handling.

Looks like nothing along these lines exists? :T

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, vertical grip is right. If you get the OM-D E-M5, it has a full battery grip system with horizontal grip as well as detachable vertical grip.

Do you need the vertical part? If you just want a horizontal grip that can be screwed in and out from the tripod mount, there are a lot of those around. It's rangefinder style and you could probably fit one from a rangefinder, though there are many that are made specifically for PENs as well.

Like this kind...
    [​IMG]

5. I remember there were some anodised aluminium vertical grips made for the E-P1 and E-P2 which attached like the one Ned showed above, but were much more "industrial" looking and they seemed to be have been quite rare. A similar one was made for the GF1 as well. I'm not sure if any have popped up for the newer models.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yush, those are the ones I'm thinking of Nic, but I guess they must be pretty rare because I couldn't find any pop up on Google (probably just because I don't know what to call them).

Of course, they do make you lose quite a bit of the compact size of the camera, which is probably why they're not as popular. But they will certainly fit that "modular" setup that PointZero mentions, giving him the option to take it off easily.

The more popular grips usually glue onto the camera, making them a permanent fixture. However, they take up a lot less space and while still adding to the functionality of the camera don't take away from its packable size.

Are you sure you wouldn't want to consider one of those options (ie, like the Flipbac or Richard Franiec grips)? Sure you can't take them off, but they take up so little space you won't need to... I use the 3M Safety Walk tape on mine, which gives me a really nice grip with zero space used...
    konica_hexanon_50mm_e-pm1_web.

Or another option if you want something substantial to hold all your camera accessories but only when you need it, is a flash bracket. This is the one I used to use (I now have a smaller one that fits even better - I'll try to post it when I have a picture)...

flash_bracket_web.

7. How flexible is that tape, Ned? Do you think you could build up a thin vertical strip on the camera body to give a ridge for your fingers, and then apply the larger piece tape over it?

8. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I think this is where a 2nd body is helpful...although I realize that's not the cheap solution.

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes Nic, you absolutely can. The tape forms to shapes, but still has a stiff solidity to it. I have this on 3 cameras, two E-PM1s and one E-PL2. On one of my E-PM1s there were two ridges already built up from the electrical tape underneath which I didn't bother to take off, and the 3M tape conformed to the shape. I also put it over the original grip of the E-PL2, and it conformed nicely to the shape of that.

konica_hexanon_50mm_1,4_web.

• Like Like x 1
  10. threeclaws

threeclaws New to Mu-43

May 6, 2012
    I got the Toma Half case from ebay, I had the same issue and the half case added just enough bulk along with a finger grip to make the camera much more comfortable to hold.

11. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
  12. c_henry

c_henry Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    Have you looked at the Richard Franiec grips?

Might not be 100% what you're after but they do make the camera's more comfortable/secure to hold. Got one for my Canon S90 and the quality is top notch.

Colin