Battery Grip Alternative

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gr8Shot, Jan 5, 2014.

1. gr8Shot

gr8Shot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mstoeckle

Mstoeckle Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2013
    I had the same situation with my E-M5. I found the battery grip cumbersome, and was only using the grip part. I invested in the RRS plate and grip and couldn't be happier, plus I don't have to screw on a plate when I want to use my tripod.

3. nagual

nagual Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    Toronto
    I am waiting for my e-m1 to come, but I have tried camera at photo store and found that it is a bit too small to grip.

- J.B. grip - http://www.amazon.com/Grip-Base-Oly...=8-1&keywords=Grip+Base+for+Olympus+OM-D+E-M1
    - RRS grip - http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2237/.f
    - Olympus - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._v328140bu000_hld_7_battery_holder_black.html

I really need to decide which one to get. On one hand I like lightness of the first 2 grips, but on the other hand the additional features of the original grip makes me think:

- dust and splash proof
    - a side compartment allows for the use of the AC-3 mains power adapter
    - allows for triggering of the shutter when the E-M1 is in the portrait orientation and allows for easy access to 1 & 2 function buttons
    - With one battery in the grip and another in the camera, you can capture approximately 680 shots per charge

4. William Porter

William Porter New to Mu-43

Jan 3, 2014
    Thanks for the post. I wasn't aware of the RRS plate.

I've just been looking into this (after reading your original post) and it looks like Really Right Stuff makes two add-ons for the E-M1: the plate that attaches to the bottom of the camera; and a bracket that connects to that base plate but occupies one side of the camera body and is designed for a special tripod connection (Arca Swiss —*something I have no experience with).

Anyway, I have a question. It looks like it's possible to buy and use the RRS base plate without buying the side bracket. Is that right? The RRS product entry has very little explanatory and I have no experience with anything similar, so it's very possible I'm missing something.

Will

p.s. One other question. I gather from something I read elsewhere that the side bracket obstructs access to some of the connections on the side of the camera. But the base plate doesn't obstruct anything, does it?

5. gr8Shot

gr8Shot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
  6. William Porter

Jan 3, 2014
    Oh, I have only had one outing with the HLD-7 grip, just yesterday, and I didn't notice this problem. I'll take a look at it again.

Hmmm. I see what you mean.

Be grateful if you could suggest how I could do the same thing. I'm not very happy with the conventional quick-release heads I've got on my Slik and Manfrotto tripods. They're wobbly. I've just ordered the RSS plate —*just the base plate. If I returned the Olympus battery grip, perhaps I could afford to buy a better head for one of my tripods.

Thanks,

Will

7. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    I went with the Gariz XS-CHEM1BK

xs-chem1bk-04_spec.

8. gr8Shot

gr8Shot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
  9. William Porter

Jan 3, 2014
    Wow, terrific answer and will be VERY helpful!! Thank you so much.

Will

10. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    The RRS L-Plate for the OM-D E-M1 is modular by design. One piece is the base and the other is the portion that makes it a L-plate. If you go to their site and head to the l-plates for the E-M1 and click on the l-plate set. one of the pictures shows the two pieces. RRS will sell you the base plate only or the set. They also sell the side portion to complete an L-bracket for someone who only bought the base plate only earlier. Call them if you have questions, they will help you out.

I have the modular L-bracket for my E-M5, and have had RRS l-brackets for many cameras. It is rare that it would block usage of a critical connection. They go to a lot of trouble to gain access. It can be challenging at times, but that is often because of bulky cables from the camera manufacturers.

11. gr8Shot

gr8Shot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013