Battery for GH2

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by sinpig, Nov 12, 2011.

1. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with the third party batteries being sold currently on Ebay, or if you would recommend to simply stick to Panasonic batteries.

I've read that the 3rd party ones don't show their charge on the LCD display? How bothersome is this really? Does it matter to you or it makes no difference?

The original battery is being sold currently on Amazon for almost $50 while the copies are selling for anywhere from $9 to $22. My wallet is telling me one thing and my heart is telling me another.

Opinions please.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I picked up an aftermarket battery on Amazon. It works fine as far as powering the camera, but the lack of the chip causes 2 problems. First, as you've noted, the camera doesn't display how much power is left. How much of a problem this is depends on you, I guess. For video, I'd hate to run out of juice in the middle of shooting something. For stills, it's not quite as big a deal, I guess, but it would still be frustrating to run out of power just as you're about to shoot something that's moving, and the shot you wanted is gone forever.

For these reasons, I only use the aftermarket battery as a backup. If the Panasonic battery dies, I'll pop the aftermarket one in, figuring it's rare I'd actually burn through 2 batteries in a day.

The other problem with the lack of communication is that the camera won't go into sleep mode. So unless you turn the camera off when you're not actively shooting, the battery will drain very quickly.

For me, using it only as a backup, the trade-offs are worth the cost savings. You'll have to decide whether that's true for you or not.
  3. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    I found one more very annoying thing with the use of an aftermarket battery of OTB which are messages in the viewfinder that the battery is not suitable for the camera.

These messages pop up at the most inconvenient moments like when you just recomposed after manual focusing and are ready to release the shutter. I did miss some good shots because of this.

The firmware of my GH2 is 1.0, I hope Panasonic removed this teaser from later firmware updates.
  4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Interesting, I've never seen that warning on my GH2 and aftermarket battery.
  5. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Same here ... just no sleep facility and no battery indicator