Battery charging on the move

mawz

Mu-43 Regular
I actually bought a solar array for a trip to Africa a couple of years ago (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071G4CQSR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but after receiving it and thinking through the issues I decided to leave it at home. Gave it to my son, actually. First, it was fairly bulky to haul; nearly impossible with my self-imposed one-small-bag luggage limit. Second, in thinking through its use I realized that I could only use it on days where I could lay it down all day in the sun. IOW days where we'd be in a camp or lodge more than one night. Then, it needed direct sunlight where many camps work hard to provide shade to the tent areas. Finally, the space tradeoff again -- I could buy another ten camera batteries and end up with less weight and bulk.

So, for me, needing to charge only one type of camera battery and often being on the move, the solar array made no sense. For someone in a motor home usually parked for a day or more at a time, and maybe needing to charge more than one type of battery, things might be different.

The one I'm referring to is vehicle-portable, so unsuitable for your uses but very suitable for use with a car or RV like the OP has.

There are smaller ones like the one you link to, but those are both significantly lower in output and bulky if you are optimizing for flying. They're reasonably usable for hikers who are not limited by carry-ons though, and can be secured outside the pack to trickle-charge a powerbank while hiking.

The bigger the panel, the better it does in bad light. The Jackery panel will give you 20-40 watts even in grey conditions, and in direct sunlight it will do 100W, which is enough to run a laptop off of, and suitable for charging even a reasonably large battery.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
i have a motorhome and can use an inverter to charge my batteries. However it is a hassle.

Is there any adapters to charge batteries from the cigarette lighter?
Hi, my Progo charger/2-battery combo included a 12V / cigarette lighter cord.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWVG0J2/

It will charge the OEM Oly battery, but not to 100% (this will not hurt anything).
Its batteries shouldn't be charged in the Oly charger though.

If you need to charge NiMH (e.g. Eneloop) batteries for flashes, etc., you can use a charger with an external ACDC brick and a DCDC converter, e.g.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004J6DLD4/
Which, I believe, takes 3VDC 4A, and
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004J6DLD4/
Or
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078Q1624B/

Most E-Bikes can be charged with DCDC converters as well, if you can find a charger with the right voltage and current.
Most 48V bikes want a 54.6V power supply. I've found one boost converter that might work.

Last edited:

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
Tons of cheap options on ebay and amazon. I can usually pick up a pair of third party batteries with a USB charging dock for about $40 CAD (so about $30 USD right now). I love them because You I can charge my batteries in the car, off a battery bank, and when I travel, I don't have to fiddle with all sorts of converters to make it work in the local outlets...I just take ONE converter for my USB block and plug everything in there (phone, cameras, battery banks, etc).

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
I carry a half-dozen aftermarket batteries for my GX-8s plus two chargers. My main criteria are reliability and weight,

If my concerns were reliability and weight I would not be using non-OEM batteries. If you used OEM you could probably get by with fewer batteries to carry and charge.

Regarding charging batteries in a vehicle, I seem to recall an incident in Santa Barbara that killed about 30 people.

I use a powerbank that doesn't hook into my car or motorcycle.

Real Name
Walter
If my concerns were reliability and weight I would not be using non-OEM batteries. If you used OEM you could probably get by with fewer batteries to carry and charge.

Regarding charging batteries in a vehicle, I seem to recall an incident in Santa Barbara that killed about 30 people.

I use a powerbank that doesn't hook into my car or motorcycle.

That incident was the fire and sinking of the dive boat Conception off Santa Cruz Island. 34 people were killed. What an awful way to die. Charging lithium-ion batteries are suspected, but not yet concluded as the cause. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinking_of_MV_Conception

At any rate, you won't be charging as many batteries, but safety is still a paramount concern. Treat them as potentially inflammable items, whatever method you use. BTW, having smoke and CO alarms inside your RV sounds like a great idea, as well as a handy extinguisher. Since most RVs have some sort of galley, that should be there anyway.

IMO, I don't think portable solar panels are very practical for most hiking purposes, unless you establish a campsite where you'll be working out of for a few days and can set up a solar panel to charge extra batteries while you're out and about. Carrying extra batteries and maybe a supplemental battery and USB charger might be workable for hiking. A USB chargeable camera is the way to go. Charge it up while you sleep. Sticking to one battery type is a good idea to simplify and lighten the load.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you are referring to the dive boat accident, then you should recall that the cause of the accident was never determined and the cause of the fire was not really the issue anyway but instead the lack of safety precautions and failure to train crew members that allowed any fire started by any source to go undetected long enough that it got to the point where now no one could get out alive. A nice stretch there on your part but really having zero to do with this discussion.

Real Name
Walter
If you are referring to the dive boat accident, then you should recall that the cause of the accident was never determined and the cause of the fire was not really the issue anyway but instead the lack of safety precautions and failure to train crew members that allowed any fire started by any source to go undetected long enough that it got to the point where now no one could get out alive. A nice stretch there on your part but really having zero to do with this discussion.

I think it was all of the above. It added up to an unspeakable disaster.

Edit: The proximate cause was that a fire started in the berthing area, however it started. Recharging lithium-ion batteries are suspected, but not confirmed as the cause. Then the ultimate cause of the deaths was the lack of a crewman on watch, lack of smoke alarms, crew safety training and passenger drill, and an inaccessible and inadequate escape route when the main exit was blocked by fire. Those poor people were doomed, the only merciful thing was that they probably died from smoke inhalation rather than flames. :-(

Last edited:

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
No problem. If you want to haul twice as much weight as necessary that's your choice. I'll carry charged batteries. And not speculate or infer anything about a situation where I have no information.

There's a lot of publicly available information. Batteries used or stored improperly, can cause fires.

Fires can kill.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
Which is the fastest way to recharge Lumix batteries? e.g. G9 battery

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Wouldn't that be with the original charger and from a mains outlet?
I haven't checked and I don't have G9.

Edit: Sorry, I misunderstood, you are talking about when you don't have a mains outlet? Then I have no idea other then the way you can get the most current to the charger.

Last edited:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Are you referring to the internal charging by the G9 camera body vs. a dedicated battery charger? If so I would assume it would be the latter as the internal battery charging of the G9 may have current limits to it that may not apply to the external dedicated charger, especially if the USB port of the G9 is also the data port.

Real Name
Walter
Are you referring to the internal charging by the G9 camera body vs. a dedicated battery charger? If so I would assume it would be the latter as the internal battery charging of the G9 may have current limits to it that may not apply to the external dedicated charger, especially if the USB port of the G9 is also the data port.

I haven't timed charging the BLH-1 battery through the EM1 III camera vs a 3rd party USB battery charger or the Olympus AC charger, but the OEM AC charger is pretty quick. I would think the AC charger would be the quickest.

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
I haven't timed charging the BLH-1 battery through the EM1 III camera vs a 3rd party USB battery charger or the Olympus AC charger, but the OEM AC charger is pretty quick. I would think the AC charger would be the quickest.
Walter, I now have a car/AC charger for my BLH-1 batteries. The OEM charger is roughly, approximately twice as fast as the after-market charger on AC.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
let me try again

Which is the fastest way to recharge Lumix batteries while in a vehicle, with the battery out of the camera? e.g. G9 battery

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
let me try again

Which is the fastest way to recharge Lumix batteries while in a vehicle, with the battery out of the camera? e.g. G9 battery
Ralf, use a dedicated 12V car charger for your camera. This is not fast, but will not damage the battery, and is unlikely to cause any damage to your car, if used sensibly.

My points above about over-current conditions, and Walter's dive boat tragedy here should be taken into account, and kept in mind.

Otherwise, use a powerbank, which is also slow.

I would never charge a battery in the camera using anything but the manufacturer's recommended method. Even then, I would not charge an after-market battery in the camera.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom