1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Battery charger for both BLN-1 and BLS-5

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by PatrickNSF, Mar 1, 2014.

1. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Patrick
    Is anyone aware of any third party battery chargers that can fit both the BLN-1 and BLS-5 (but not necessarily at the same time)? I use a charge from Digipower that charges various sizes of Sony batteries, but I have not been able to find one for these two Olympus batteries. Thanks.

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I've not found any charger that lets you insert both types of batteries. However, the plates that hold the batteries in the Wasabi chargers (and probably most other 3rd party chargers) are interchangeable, so for traveling, I can carry one charger with an extra holding plate and charge both types of batteries.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    A word of warning on the chargers - though he plates are interchangeable, they don't all supply the same voltage. Learned this the hard way - my RX100 third party charger will with the E-m5 plate (bln-1 battery) but the voltage is too low (4.7 instead of 8.4 off the top of my head) meaning it won't charge the batteries at all. Figured that out on vacation.

There are universal chargers out there with sliding pin arrangements, but don't know of they'll work.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Patrick
    Which Wasabi charger is that? I'm looking at their website but not sure I'm looking at the right one.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Good point. However, the BLN-1 and BLS-1/5 chargers do use identical 8.4V inputs.

Mine are from Amazon (both BLN-1 and BLS-5 came with 2 batteries). Unfortunately, they don't seem to be in stock now, although similar-looking units are available via a 3rd party seller. I don't think the chargers necessarily have to be Wasabi for the plates to be swappable - I have an old Kuaimen charger whose plates are also a physical match - but I've not experimented.

• Like Like x 1