Batteries for OMD

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pdk42, Apr 8, 2013.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I picked up a used OMD and it came with the original Oly battery and two aftermarket batteries. The aftermarket ones don't hold their charge too well. Can anyone recommend a good aftermarket battery, or do I just need to stump up the money for the original?

2. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    From what I've researched, the aftermarket ones don't hold charges well and they'll die if not used shortly after charging. I've given up on a search for cheap ones so I'll be getting an official one as a backup.
  3. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    When the after market batteries were first coming out, there were some problems reported with them when used in the EM-5 as well as reports of them not lasting as long as the original Olympus batteries. I purchased a few of them but I only used them in my grip in fear of having problems with my EM-5. When the original Olympus batteries finally became available, I purchased two of those to use as extra back up batteries. There were some reports of the after market batteries even damaging the EM-5 to the point of needing repairs. :drinks:
  4. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Since you're in the UK, if you don't want to buy the Olympus batteries, get the Hahnel BLN-1 equivalents - another user in this forum confirmed that they charge in BCN-1 correctly. Their batteries are normally good and while I can find them online in many UK shops, they don't seem to be available in many other countries - funny case though, their website is .ie and the name is German, go figure...
  5. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Owczi seems to have good advice for you. I just bought a second official OM-D battery though. I think it's worth sticking with Olympus in cases like these, despite the expense. At least you can have high expectations of charge and life.
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Sounds like Hahnel is a good choice. Not uber cheap like the Chinese eBay batteries, but half the price of the Oly OEM ones.

7. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2012
    Yeah, I got two of the Hahnel equivalents before I went on holiday. They charge in the original charger, the battery meter seems to be accurate, and they've worked beautifully in the 4 weeks I've had them. Can't fault them!