Batteries for Minolta Maxxum 7000

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
So, I just picked up a first version Maxxum 7000. I had recently purchased a 7000i just to get the lenses and got all nostalgic, so I found a really nice 7000 at a camera shop close to me and bought it. Takes me back, most of the shots of my kids growing up were taken on that camera.

This version uses 4-AAA cell batteries. If memory serves they lasted ok back in 1985, and with today's technology I suspect they'll last even longer. I was thinking though I may be further ahead with some lithium batteries and a charger, with a set of alkaline in the bag as a backup.

The manual specifically says to use only Alkaline, not rechargeable. Ok, yeah...that's a 35 year-old manual. But it also says not to use Carbon-Zinc or NiCad "In the standard battery holder". Since lithium Ion wasn't even around in the form of consumer batteries back then...can anyone see the harm in trying them?

Thoughts? Any electronic/battery whizzes out there?

Last edited:

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
So, I just picked up a first version Maxxum 7000. I had recently purchased a 7000i just to get the lenses and got all nostalgic, so I found a really nice 7000 at a camera shop close to me and bought it. Takes me back, most of the shots of my kids growing up were taken on that camera.

This version uses 4-AAA cell batteries. If memory serves they lasted ok back in 1985, and with today's technology I suspect they'll last even longer. I was thinking though I may be further ahead with some lithium batteries and a charger, with a set of alkaline in the bag as a backup.

The manual specifically says to use only Alkaline, not rechargeable. Ok, yeah...that's a 35 year-old manual. I can't see the harm in trying them.

Thoughts? Any electronic/battery whizzes out there?

When the 7000 was released (I went to the UK launch party and smuggled a bag of food out with me for the train journey home), rechargeable batteries were invariably ni-cd, usually 1.2V rather than 1.5V and a higher current.

You need to look at the current (mA) in comparison to regular alkaline batteries.

Personally, for the number of times you are going to use that camera, I wouldn't do it.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Personally, for the number of times you are going to use that camera, I wouldn't do it.
Well, that's the other issue. I can just remove the batteries and toss them in a bag pocket when I'm done. These days Alakaline will last for years.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
It's called a Minolta BH-70L.
Found it. Also found out they made a holder for the 2CR5 Lithium, the BH-70T, although that sounds like overkill for the intended use. I could see it having value back then.

Hey, at least the button cell in this one is up to par, so I don't need to worry about changing that one!

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Found it. Also found out they made a holder for the 2CR5 Lithium, the BH-70T, although that sounds like overkill for the intended use. I could see it having value back then.

Hey, at least the button cell in this one is up to par, so I don't need to worry about changing that one!

Used to love 2CR5 batteries.

Retail £10.99, trade about £2.61. You could sell a compact camera and double your profit with the sale of a spare battery and a cheap case.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Used to love 2CR5 batteries.

Retail £10.99, trade about £2.61. You could sell a compact camera and double your profit with the sale of a spare battery and a cheap case.
Just bought one for the 7000i, $11 U.S.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Check it out. Found a NOS in a sealed box on eBay, made an offer, $20 shipped. Most of the sellers wanted that much for well used versions.

s-l1600.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
@RichardC or anyone else for that matter.

Any idea what this is? It's listed with a bundle of Maxxum accessories. If I had to guess it's either a combination autofocus lamp and remote flash trigger, or maybe just an autofocus lamp for low-light photography? I can't find anything on it with general search terms.

s-l1600a.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
@RichardC or anyone else for that matter.

Any idea what this is? It's listed with a bundle of Maxxum accessories. If I had to guess it's either a combination autofocus lamp and remote flash trigger, or maybe just an autofocus lamp for low-light photography? I can't find anything on it with general search terms.

View attachment 859413

Is it an AI-1000? (it should be written underneath or on the back)

AF illuminator for the Minolta Controil Grip (CG-1000???) and flash.

That piece goes on the hot shoe to help with focusing, but the control grip complete with flash head can be detached and pointed in any direction.

It's needed because if memory is correct, the system allowed for multiple control grips.

Last edited:

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
That's the only photo they show of it, and there is nothing that looks like a CG-1000 in the other photos. The description fits though, and a search for Al-1000 turns up photos that look like the same unit, so I'm guessing that's what it is. Unfortunate if the other piece is missing.

Thanks, I figured you'd know!

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
I wonder if it would be useful for low light focusing, like with a 50/1.4 or 1.7?

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Well, that's annoying. The box for the battery holder says it's AA, but the holder in the box is a AAA. I sent a communication through eBay and the seller has sent a return label. It does look brand new, I'll bet someone bought a holder with a new camera and put the AAA holder in the box for safekeeping.

I had a funny feeling too, all he had on the listing was the 'unopened' (It wasn't) box. I almost asked him to take it out and post a photo of the actual unit.

Latest threads

Top Bottom