1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Batteries, batteries, batteries

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Brent D. Wilson, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Brent D. Wilson

Brent D. Wilson Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2010
    I finally received my EM5. I also ordered a spare backup battery BLN1, but of course they are on seemingly unending backorder. So I purchased a generic BLN1 battery and charger. I will be taking a trip soon. Since I will not have time to "break in" my EM5 before leaving, I will be taking my EP3 as a backup body. This means that I will need to take three different chargers for the three different batteries, BLS1/5 for EP3, BLN1, and generic BLN1. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to consolidate in some way?

To save a bit of bulk, I purchased a cheap, two-pronged computer cord on EBay. I cut it down to about 6 inches and installed a replacement plug. It works fine with the Olympus chargers. The black cord doesn't match the grey BLN1 charger, but I can live with that.

2. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    BLN1 battery

********** of NY had over 100 BLN1 batteries in stock as of Monday, I ordered 3 and am waiting for delivery of them today.

• Like Like x 1
  3. metalbernd

metalbernd Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2012
    Holland
    Here in Holland there isn't a battery in stock.
    I have contact my dealer and they put me on a waiting list, so i hope to get one soon.

4. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    The Apple charger plugsets with the figure-8 connector work brilliantly (and cordlessly) with the Oly charger.

I have a pair of the Wasabi aftermarket batteries and their separate charger with me traveling in the UK right now. Contrary to most people's feelings, I find having both chargers an advantage. The extra bulk and weight of the Wasabi charger are absolutely negligible and the advantage of being able to charge both the Oly battery and one of the Wasabi batteries at the same time is a real plus when I've had a busy day.

5. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    ansamm batteries

My local camera shop tells me that Ansamm have cloned a battery that fits the e-m5 and works with the Olympus charger ... allegedly on sale in a month.

Has anyone else heard this?

6. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I went to my local store yesterday and they received an order of batteries in and I know that they did not order over 10 batteries as pre-order all together. They should be coming into the stores if people are ordering them. They might not be coming into the local stores if they are just being inquired about and not ordered...

7. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    I usually order a Lenmar high(er) capacity battery after they come out with them. They've never let me down.

8. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    YES, leave one BLN1 charger home! In my case the generic charger is a better charger and smaller too.

9. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    I second this advice. The aftermarket EM5 chargers can charge both the OEM and aftermarket batteries (the OEM charger only charges the OEM batteries). I took the aftermarket charger, the OEM battery, and three aftermarket batteries on a recent 2-week vacation, and everything worked just fine.

10. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    You shouldn't leave any, especially not an aftermarket charger, charging unattended.

11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Here are some pics of how I'm using the Olympus OEM charger for the OM-D.

2012Olympics8-4-8040132.
    2012Olympics8-4-8040131.
    2012Olympics8-4-8040130.

12. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    The problem with using the Apple adapter with the Oly charger is you can't fully plug it into the wall socket, so it can fall out, or generate heat or spark in the outlet if it's such a loose connection.

13. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    You're right that it does not fully engage, but it engages deeply enough that there is no safety risk in a properly fitting socket. I have not yet run into a socket that has not provided a safe and reliable connection, although I'm sure there are electrical sockets that could be unsafe. A little common sense goes a long way here, as with most issues.

14. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I have had good luck with these guys:
    Plug Adapter NEMA 1-15 Plug to IEC 60320 C7 Connector Left/Right Block Adapter - Our Item #: 1430, Category: 10 Amp Adapters : StayOnline
    Plug Adapter NEMA 1-15 Plug to IEC 60320 C7 Connector Block Adapter - Our Item #: 5028, Category: 10 Amp Adapters : StayOnline
    Plug Adapter NEMA 5-15 Plug to IEC 60320 C5 Connector Block Adapter - Our Item #: 2840, Category: NEMA Straight Blade 15 Amp Adapters : StayOnline

But this (untried) vendor also looks pretty good:
    Europe CEE7/16 two pin plug to IEC C7 Receptacle Plug Adapter at SFCable.com

I have cut down power cords from time to time and have a couple of factory 6 inch ones but I don't recall the vendor.

Best for me are chargers where the blades fold into the charger a la the Apple charger. I carry a couple of aftermarket ones to charge the Panny batteries instead of the OEM chargers that require a separate cord.
    So you sit and watch your batteries charge? I doubt it. Neither do I.

15. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    This is good to know. I was searching this thread specifically to find out if it was safe to charge the OEM battery in a 3rd party charger. One question, though:

Does the 3rd party charger correctly stop charging when the OEM battery is "full"?